Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a quick question ?. I have searched the forums but I could not find any info on this !! Is it possible to replace the turbochargers coolant return pipe with out taking the whole turbo out i.e. Headers... Or can it be done with just removing the cartridge!!,... Any help would great as mine seems to be leaking from where the metal sleeve joins the rubber hose.??.. It seems to be a very expensive exercise for a 30 dollar part, if i have to pull the whole turbo out .. for a coolant hose, which will always need replacing eventually.. It is a real bad design ..

TIA

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No advice because it appears you have a part failure that others on the forum have never experienced.

Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be great Little Dan.. The only 2 ways I see it is that you have pull the whole turbo off from headers.. Or you may be able to just to remove the turbo cartridge and with a little bit of swearing and patients you should be able to do it. As you have to get to the back cartridge to unscrew and replace it..

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
The dealer fixed ours under warranty and the whole turbo had to come out. Which was good, because they found a crack in the turbo so we got a new turbo as well. Not to mention a new CAT since a bolt broke off and messed up the CAT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was afraid someone would say this... :shoot:GMH for a crap design.. Does anyone know what is all the actual parts list I would need to do this ??.. If the headers come off i have replace the bolts and the gasket, seals on the coolant and oil pipes. Is there a link on here that actually explains in detail,as i cant find it. TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did replace my turbo coolant pipes on 2013 cruze. GM Parts were:
55568031 pipe,
55567067 pipe,
55572127 pipe fitting (2 required). All were on Amazon.
I also needed 55565351 clamp between turbo and cat. (mine broke).
Pipes can be replaced without removing turbo or header. I removed cat and cat bracket from engine. It wasn't a real bad job. I did break cat to exhaust studs during removal. I pressed broken studs out and am using 8mm bolts instead.
I did repair because I had read on this forum that someones dealer wanted around $700 to fix this. I asked my dealer for an estimate on the repair. Holz GMC in Watertown, WI told me around $250 including parts.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a coolant leak before, but it didn't affect the turbo.
Probably because the coolant leak caused the turbo to overheat, your turbo ended up dying.

Coolant leaks does more than just destroy the turbo.
Just be glad there's no gasket leak!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dealer fixed ours under warranty and the whole turbo had to come out. Which was good, because they found a crack in the turbo so we got a new turbo as well. Not to mention a new CAT since a bolt broke off and messed up the CAT.
I have this same problem on my 14 Cruze . Wouldn’t of known if I didn’t open hood to jump a car and noticed overfill tank almost empty . They told me turbo coolant feed pipe, return pipe , oil return pipe. Exhaust manifold gasket. Told me not covered . I had a oil leak last month and smelt antifreeze which is why I took it in thinking it was that was oil pan gasket and plug . I had the turbo replaced in October . So I think they should cover this since they done replaced turbo and they coulda done something to it u kno .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you can get the pipes in and out with a bit persistence.. I wonder why GM like to say that they have pull the whole turbo off from the headers then. mmm Money hungry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you can get the pipes in and out with a bit persistence.. I wonder why GM like to say that they have pull the whole turbo off from the headers then. mmm Money hungry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little Dan.. finally got my Brother in law to help me in having a go in replacing the pipes. LOL he said are sure you we can do this and i said that you posted this on here and he thought no way . Mind you we did have some fun in doing it Not !!! .. Umm those quick connectors are soo much fun to get at., but we did eventually get them out and got them back in after some swearing.. It is definitely a 2 person job.. but in doing so saved us most likely 1000 AUD .. as they all say you have to take the turbo off at the headers... I would not be surprised if GM have special tools other then the standard one they show on the how to uninstall the turbo install the turbo and just just charge people. Once again thanks and I will back you up that it can be done..... if you have some patients ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
What size was the hose ? thanks
I believe it is 5/16" inside diameter. Mine is leaking so I'm going to try the repair shown by Carver3 to avoid having to remove CAT to access the fittings on the turbo. Purchased some heater hose line from Napa Auto parts and will let you know if it stops my leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was quoted $1,200 from chevrolet because turbo coolant pipes were causing a leak. Chevrolet said it is a lot of labor.

and
FOUR SEALS BUT SAME PART# 55571900

They also just had to replace a failure and engine oil leak for the engine oil cooler, valve cover, crank seal gasket. 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine only leaks when I turn the car on and the engine it's cold, after is warmed up, theres no dripping, bc I dont want to do any hard work in this cold, I just buy coolant and fill the reservoir up when its needed. ?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts