Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For opinions other than my own, I'm soliciting feedback on tires I should be looking at. My Eco will need new tires later this year, and I'm starting my search early just in case the OEM tires are shot by late summer and about 45-50k miles on them. I'm saying "shot" as 3/32" tread, so it's not hydroplaning in the wet.

I'm considering another set of Goodyear Fuel Max tires, the non-OEM version. I have no major complaints about the OEM version aside from snow traction, and I have snow tires, so that's not a concern.

My priorities are:
1. Fuel economy
2. Wet grip
3. Ride
4. Handling

I'd like to "have it all" in a tire, but that's not really possible. Within my criteria, what tires should I be looking at?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's your budget? Are you planning on keeping the stock tire size?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
About $500-700 before installation/rebates, and I do want to keep the stock size. The 235/45-17 would be nice, but I can't justify a fuel economy hit for improved handling.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
There's a set of lt wheels for sale locally for $600 maybe less but the money you'd save will be lost in shipping I think. Either way let me know if you want link.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but I'm not interested in getting a 3rd set of wheels for my Cruze, LOL! Although I could likely sell the wheels to a local Sonic owner who wants to upgrade from the 15's. Wheels/tires are heavy buggers to ship, so that would kill any cost savings/profit of selling the wheels. And I wouldn't part with the lightweight Eco wheels, since a 2LT's 17's are guaranteed to weigh a lot more than Eco 17's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am watching the Continental PureContact tires as a potential for my car next year. Seen a few around and they look cool...

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Pretty much anything other than a LRR tire will be significantly heavier, so your best bet will be to get some comparisons done of other LRR tires. For their purposes, I think the Goodyear tires on our cars are actually pretty good.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,542 Posts
Michelin has an MXV4 in a LRR variant.

They're [in standard form] one of the best riding, longest-lasting, and best traction tires I've had the pleasure of owning. Not fantastic for handling though if you like to drive like a hooligan.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Michelin has an MXV4 in a LRR variant.

They're [in standard form] one of the best riding, longest-lasting, and best traction tires I've had the pleasure of owning. Not fantastic for handling though if you like to drive like a hooligan.
The way I understand it, longer-lasting generally means stiffer rubber compound, which translates to compromised traction. It's a compromise either way you look at it. Summer tires will last you 15k miles but will grip like nobody's business, just to present a comparison.

When you mention their handling deficiency, are you referring to traction, or stability with regard to sidewall strength?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,542 Posts
The way I understand it, longer-lasting generally means stiffer rubber compound, which translates to compromised traction. It's a compromise either way you look at it. Summer tires will last you 15k miles but will grip like nobody's business, just to present a comparison.

When you mention their handling deficiency, are you referring to traction, or stability with regard to sidewall strength?
They grip the road extremely well in rain and in hard braking. They resist spinning in 1st gear in rain on an Accord that is notorious for bad traction, and are halfway decent in snow. However, throw it at a corner too hard and they howl and understeer just like the stockers on 4/6 Cruze trims. As always, "V" rated are slightly stiffer, with less tread life.

Then again, I've only driven Accords (2) and Camrys (2) on these tires. A Cruze might do a lot better in the handling dept as it's a more balanced platform to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Michelin*HydroEdge with Green X

That's my suggestion. :) It wouldn't let me copy the product description, so you'll have to click and read.

Awesome tire though, sounds like just what you need Sciphi.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Tire Rack did two reasonably recent tests with LRR tires:

Tire Test Results : Eco-Friendly All-Season Tires — How Does Performance Measure Up?

Tire Test Results : Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?

Both tests used the same 2011 BMW E92 for testing so results should be reasonably comparable between the two, though I'm not sure how consistent the mileage tests would be given the possibility of different weather (both tests share two of the same tires, but with different mileage results in each test).

Tire Rack also has tons of useful info in the way of customer surveys and reviews. You should be able to get some decent info there.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I don't see them available in a 17" rim. Am I missing something?
Hmm. Yeah, you're right. Sorry , I was under the impression tire companies could make any size needed.

How stupid. That is such a nice, effective tire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The OE fuel max tires are narrow for a 215, and also light, at 19 lbs. I noticed on Tire Rack that the New Goodyear Fuel Max tires are more typical in width and weight. If you end up with those tires, it will be interesting to see if they yield the same mpg as the OE tires.

I may replace my OE fuel max's early, due to the lousy roads we have in Minnesota. Giving up a little mpg for better ride comfort is worth it to me. High on my list is the Goodyear Comfortread Touring. I put the original Comfortreads on my Mazda 3 and was real happy with them. I use Goodyear Ultragrip Ice on 16" Sparcos in the winter.

As for the OE Eco rims, I would never give them up, even though everybody tells me the Sparcos look better on my car. The Eco 17" rims are Forged Aluminum, made by Alcoa. Not only are they lighter than practically any other reasonably priced 17" rim, they are probably also stronger, forged being better than cast.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I'll add another tire to the list, the Nitto Motivo:

Motivo

I've read many good things about this tire and is on my personal short list of tires to look for when I need some all season replacements. They are touted as a LRR design, have a 60k mile treadwear warranty, and get very favourable reviews (Nitto gave out a bunch of free sets to people in order to get some reviews on the 'net).

A few reviews I've read suggest that these indeed are a LRR tire, the owners suggesting mileage improvements over other tires they've had on thier car. The expected tread life and low reported noise levels seem to back this up. It's too bad there are no good comparison tests for reference.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just a personal opinion. Eagle gt... cheap, last me about 50k miles and always gave me much better traction over oem. I had them on my supercharged corolla (goodyear integrity), my cobalt ss (conti procontact)and on my last mazda (horrid toyo's)

534 off tirerack. (Just saw eco..doh! sorry)

Goodyear*Eagle GT (W-Speed Rated)

even though i wouldn't recommend driving them in snow, i did for two years on my 100 mile commute

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd want more information on the Motivos. Early reports are promising, though. Michelins are a little outside my budget, although it could be stretched if they are the bee's knees. I'm also wanting more information on the Conti PureContacts.

Keep the ideas coming! I've seen some options on here I never would have twigged to in my own search.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts