Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: please still read, I just turned it off for 2 minutes, back on, and my power is back and it’s not loud anymore. Could be a sensor malfunc or some weird electronic engine control be on the fritz?

Edit 2: been good for next 4 hours

All of a sudden after stopping and idling for a few minutes my 1.8 LS had no power on accelerating, the idle is just as smooth and quiet as before but when I press the gas it’s loud and boggy sounding. I can’t make it up a semi steep hill in 1st gear now.

im a lyft driver I need this fixed ASAP. Please help what could it be? There is no CEL.

Video 1 Idle: there is a small sound in the back of the engine it’s been making for a week.

Video 2 Pressing Gas: loud and boggy.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,557 Posts
That little toot sounds almost like when the valve cover fails on the 1.4L. I know it happens on the 1.8's, but it isn't common.

But, given that it comes and goes, I'm wondering if it's a purge valve.

I would suggest picking up an OBDII bluetooth module or OBDII scanner from Amazon and see if there are any pending codes stored if this happens again. It's like the car put itself in limp mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the little toot is still there and after running great for the day the CEL came on. I checked the purge valve myself it’s fine. Doesn’t seem to be coming from the pcv. How much does it generally cost to replace the valve cover? Can that be done on my own with a socket wrench and screw driver? I just spent a lot on the car and I don’t make much. Up at 184k miles now maybe that’s why it failed.

·
16,557 Posts
Actually the little toot is still there and after running great for the day the CEL came on. I checked the purge valve myself it’s fine. Doesn’t seem to be coming from the pcv. How much does it generally cost to replace the valve cover? Can that be done on my own with a socket wrench and screw driver? I just spent a lot on the car and I don’t make much. Up at 184k miles now maybe that’s why it failed.
A few basic tools - sockets and Torx bits - and it's not a bad DIY job.

Before you go down that path, stop by an auto parts store and find out what codes were thrown...it may give a better clue.

Here's the tutorial for the 1.4:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I have the 1.8. Was able to find a tutorial on YouTube. The only code thrown was 171.

I could probably do it myself then but that might not be 100% the leaky part. I wonder if I should just let my mechanic do it to make sure.

·
16,557 Posts
Thanks! I have the 1.8. Was able to find a tutorial on YouTube. The only code thrown was 171.

I could probably do it myself then but that might not be 100% the leaky part. I wonder if I should just let my mechanic do it to make sure.
0171 does typically point to a vacuum leak, which is usually the valve cover on the 1.4. Given that sound, I do think the VC is also plasuible here on the 1.8, but definitely check around for anything else that could be making a leak first.

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
Check to make sure the dipstick is seating. I'm not sure about the 1.8, but on the 1.4 that will cause a vacuum leak. Likewise with the oil fill cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts