Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So within the last few weeks a few different issues that might be connected have surfaced in my 2015 AT Cruze (6,467 current miles) which I could use some help in trying to identify. Sorry if I have a hard time describing it perfectly.

These issues have come in the form of (1) a noise in my steering wheel and crunchy type feel when making turns at low speeds like when turning into and/or out of parking spaces or navigating a shopping center parking lot, which has been coupled with (2) knocking under the floorboard by my feet which can also be felt in the gas pedal, and also (3) a loud click coming from the AT gear shift lever area that can be heard and felt when going directly from Drive to Park (mainly after a drive but also has been reproducible when its been parked).

Any ideas? Thanks!

(Also posted this on the Cruzetalk FB page).

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Starks,

Take your car in and duplicate these for the service tech who works on suspensions and steering issues. It's under B2B warranty.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sounds typical by your description, not hearing that noise of constant velocity joints, the sharper you turn the greater the noise. Been some here reported in the past.

Easy to check, I have to block the front end up, dealer has a hoist, just far enough to get the front wheels off the ground, idle the engine and put the car into gear, then rotate the steering wheel from lock to lock. Under the vehicle, you can see these joints literally jump the sharper the turn.

For rebuilt half axles, 99% of them only have to be cleaned with new lubrication and boots, either the lube was lost or dries up hard as a rock. But you have to know how to take them apart and put them together again, way too complicated, so for your dealer, just replace the entire half axle with a brand new one.

Yours could be bone dry, from the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starks,

Take your car in and duplicate these for the service tech who works on suspensions and steering issues. It's under B2B warranty.
Thanks! Yeah, I'll do that. I was just hoping I could maybe give them an idea of what it could possibly be and/or where they could begin to look at as the source of this problem especially if I'm unable to get it to duplicate itself when there.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds typical by your description, not hearing that noise of constant velocity joints, the sharper you turn the greater the noise. Been some here reported in the past.

Easy to check, I have to block the front end up, dealer has a hoist, just far enough to get the front wheels off the ground, idle the engine and put the car into gear, then rotate the steering wheel from lock to lock. Under the vehicle, you can see these joints literally jump the sharper the turn.

For rebuilt half axles, 99% of them only have to be cleaned with new lubrication and boots, either the lube was lost or dries up hard as a rock. But you have to know how to take them apart and put them together again, way too complicated, so for your dealer, just replace the entire half axle with a brand new one.

Yours could be bone dry, from the factory.
Thanks for the response NickD. So you think it could be a issue with the CV joints and a lack of lubrication or even damage? With a needed CV joint replacement (if it is indeed damaged), the halfshaft must be removed from the vehicle to correctly fix the issue?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My first thought is one of the sway bar links has developed a bit of free play.......

Rob
Ha, I would think that too if he was taking a corner at 90 mph. But just creeping in a parking lot. Replacing a half axle is not bad on a brand new vehicle, but can be a miserable job after a couple of road salt seasons, than spline into the hub rusts solid.

In theory if this is indeed the problem should also replace the transaxle seal, but should be good depending upon how gentle they are in removing the old one. Also should replace any lost fluids. Ha, one reason why I like to do my own work.

Stabilizer links sure don't like potholes.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Hey Nick the end links are of a plastic substance .

Reactions: Starks8

·
10,713 Posts
I had a replacement CV blow up on me in less than 50 miles on the 2nd recalled axle replacement. If it did rupture, look for grease with this consistency and look.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ran into problems like yours before using very poor clamps on the CV joint boots. Used a ring with a small loop in it, suppose to squeeze the loop together with a special tool and expect it to hold. Metal was so thin, could do this with my fingers.

These are the better ones.

These are crap for lack of a better word.

One heck of a mess to clean up.

Even Kia screws up, daughter had a hot rotor with only 15K miles on it. One of the caliper guide pins was never lubricated and rusted in solid. Had one heck of a time getting it out, using a wrench with the bracket in a vise and slowly working it free. Cleaned it and the hole it was in, packed it full with silicone, good now. Who's to blame? Some kid on the production line? Brakes are not covered under warranty. But should be.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a replacement CV blow up on me in less than 50 miles on the 2nd recalled axle replacement. If it did rupture, look for grease with this consistency and look.

Thanks. I don't recall seeing anything like this but I'll certainly keep an eye out.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
04 Cavalier was squeaking like crazy, not even near that 36K mile mark, but those 36 months sure flew by fast.

Problem was in both upper strut mount bearings, when I took them apart, not even a hint of grease anywhere. Dealer wasn't very nice, only a couple of days after 36 months, but at twenty bucks each, wasn't worth arguing. I opened up the new ones, just a light coat of oil on the ball bearing. Packed them full with Wolf's high temperature red bearing grease and were never problem again.

Where's the grease?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts