Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my cruze in December of 2014. I'm recently divorced, never had a new car and did my research. Out of a couple test drives and Internet research I went with the cruze. This decision was not made lightly as I was afraid of the payment. I jumped all in.

The first thing I really needed was a car with good gas mileage. I had moved further from work and with car payment needed better gas mileage. The 2004 Hyundai Sonata i traded in seems the same and of course, every dealer at every dealership bragged on how much I'd save. I've kept record:
2/24 12.483 gallons trip 297.7
3/6. 13.3 gallons trip 295.2
3/16 12.4 gallons trip 309.6
3/26 13.0 gallons trip 320.2
4/11 13.05 gallons trip 313.1

I don't know if I'm calculating right but this doesn't seem too good. I've asked Service about it they told me I'll only get mileage on sticker with high temperature days, driving away with cruise on.

Now on to the feeling of being slightly rear ended when I come to stops. I hate that feeling. I have a friend that has same car and she says hers does the same thing occasionally. Mine does it all the time. Again, Service says it's the car and the down shifting. My Hyundai had that same shifting option and it didn't do that or shift as hard.

I'm so disappointed. I thought new car and I would feel safer and more comfortable. I feel like I made the wrong decision and now I'm stuck. I don't know if Service sees a woman and plays off my concerns or what. I won't even get into the clicking that happens in the front drivers side when it rains. Finally was able to make it to dealership when it was happening because I get the line "we can't diagnose what we can't hear" I get that but looking at it shouldn't hurt.

Please give me some advice to take to dealership on Monday when I go.

Thank you in advance
Shari

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

Those numbers will increase slightly now that we are getting warmer ambient air temps .. summer fuel helps to . the second I am not familiar with . do you have an auto or manuel transmission ?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Shari, are you driving entirely in the city? If so, you're getting exactly what the EPA's city estimate of 24 MPG. This is higher than all three 2004 Sonata trims combined EPA numbers. However, it's obviously not what you were led to believe or looking for.

For tips on improving the Cruze's fuel economy, take a look at the stickies in our Fuel Economy forum.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
On the highway, lock the car into M6. This will help with your highway fuel economy. Also, run 91 or higher octane. The Cruze's engine will run on 87 but it's designed for 91. This will become much more important as the temperatures rise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's mostly highway. I'm actually leaving earlier because I don't have any traffic jams this way. Didn't seem to make a difference. That last fill up was with me having smooth highway traffic to and from work.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Spark plug gaps , air cleaner and the tire pressures ..

That year make and model came with the spark plugs under gapped .

Make sure you have a new air cleaner .

Possibly increase the air pressures in your tyres . this will help increase fuel economy . not much more you can do .. as for the sudden deaceleration at stop lights . you might need to have that OEM automatic transmission fluid changed out .

How many miles are on your cruzen ?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There is a product update for the transmission to eliminate this 'bump' you feel.
Your transmission is designed to go into a 'Partial Nuetral' when stopped......your description is that of this feature re-engaging/disengageing/re-engaging.

If you are able to reproduce it at any time, stop by your dealer and take one of the techs. for a ride.
If anyone is 'on their game' they'll be able to correlate your problem to the bulletin.

This is a covered repair for five years (you gotta be getting close) or, 100,000 miles.

Rob

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I bought my cruze in December of 2014. I'm recently divorced, never had a new car and did my research. Out of a couple test drives and Internet research I went with the cruze. This decision was not made lightly as I was afraid of the payment. I jumped all in.

The first thing I really needed was a car with good gas mileage. I had moved further from work and with car payment needed better gas mileage. The 2004 Hyundai Sonata i traded in seems the same and of course, every dealer at every dealership bragged on how much I'd save. I've kept record:
2/24 12.483 gallons trip 297.7
3/6. 13.3 gallons trip 295.2
3/16 12.4 gallons trip 309.6
3/26 13.0 gallons trip 320.2
4/11 13.05 gallons trip 313.1

I don't know if I'm calculating right but this doesn't seem too good. I've asked Service about it they told me I'll only get mileage on sticker with high temperature days, driving away with cruise on.

Now on to the feeling of being slightly rear ended when I come to stops. I hate that feeling. I have a friend that has same car and she says hers does the same thing occasionally. Mine does it all the time. Again, Service says it's the car and the down shifting. My Hyundai had that same shifting option and it didn't do that or shift as hard.

I'm so disappointed. I thought new car and I would feel safer and more comfortable. I feel like I made the wrong decision and now I'm stuck. I don't know if Service sees a woman and plays off my concerns or what. I won't even get into the clicking that happens in the front drivers side when it rains. Finally was able to make it to dealership when it was happening because I get the line "we can't diagnose what we can't hear" I get that but looking at it shouldn't hurt.

Please give me some advice to take to dealership on Monday when I go.

Thank you in advance
Shari
So many factors can go into gas mileage. I noticed my gas mileage goes out the window when I idle a lot when the engine is cold in the winter. Remote start just kills my MPG. Driving style goes into MPG too. My 2011 likes premium gas and I get better gas mileage running premium so much so I noticed it was much better. I also notice that if I drive the cruze easy till it warms up helps my MPG. I think our cruze drink a lot fuel when the engine is cold. If all those miles are city driving that is about normal and premium might help get better gas mileage after a few tanks. Also driving slow till the engine warms up helps my MPG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was so happy about having remote start and quit using it because it made such a difference. I guess I was concerned because it's warmer, I'm leaving for work at a time there isn't much traffic on the hwy and it didn't make a difference. All I hear now is "I told you so" from people that have cars with better mileage. I'll get better gas to start. I'm very happy that someone mentioned about the bumping feeling. I'm gonna get to the bottom of that. I'm still looking in my rear view mirror thinking I was tapped.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The things that kills gas mileage is stopping/starting. That's part of the reason why city driving is lower than highway. The 2011 LT model is rated for 24/36. By my count, you're getting 23.9. That's higher than my city driving with a stop every other block.

What I find is the car coasts very nicely. I try to look ahead and get off the gas at least half a block ahead if the light is red.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone and what I conclude is I focused more on a car good in snow and it did do very well and not enough on had mileage. There is no way that sticker onthecar had 24 mpg. I wouldn't have bought it. I told every dealer what I got and the look of shock on their faces were so shocked and replies along the lines of "You are going to get so much more than that and who cares if your payment is a little higher you are gonna save that in gas alone! " I feel dupped but I guess I only have myself to blame.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My good wife and I drive our 2012 2LT with a manual like a hybrid, worse we got in the winter with this rotten winter gas is 27 mpg, and the best we got on a long summer drive was 46 mph. I keep ours in good tune, totally stock.

We both had rotten ex's that blew money faster than we could earn it, and with no-fault divorce laws, they got half of everything. But at least both of us gained full custody of our kids. They also got the better vehicles. We both realized our marriage IQ's were less than two, so before remarrying, had to raise this to at least a 3, we took our time before tying the knot.

We were both left in deep debt, but pulled out of it, just saying while there was a time when deep depression occurred in our lives, there is hope you will find the right one. We shopped together for our new car, mutually agreeing on the Cruze. Hate to say this, but our only negative experiences with it was our two GM dealers in town. But finally found a good one. Small dealership ten miles north of town. Least with Chevy's, plenty of dealers around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's why I think I'm so upset about it. Not angry just well Idk. My credit was bad with my ex. He is an owner operator truck driver and that truck needed repair constantly so bills didn't get paid because well if the truck didn't run, no money came in. I am building my credit slowly but surely but this was seriously a big decision for me but I needed a car. It took forever for me to decide and sign those papers. I've been making my payments and credit is building with other credit I have now also. I guess I just don't like being lied to but I know they have a reputation for a reason. My boyfriend says that sticker on the car did not say 24mpg. I know it didn't because I wouldn't have bought it. The location where I bought the car is not the one I take it to for Service. The dealer I bought it from is much further away. I'm supposed to call him today so we can figure out when it's going to rain this week so the guys can take it out for a ride to hear that clicking and they said they would look at my other concerns. I just know, from previous experience with them, that they won't hear it and send me on my way. I do have some things to go on with this group so I can ask about those. I've changed my schedule at work so I have smooth riding on the hwy, take my boyfriends truck if we are doing anything with plenty of stops (he hates not being the one driving anyway....lol) so I cut where I can. Filling my gas tank up this last time is what really upset me. I made the changes and it didn't help. Why the heck am I getting up so early?!?! lol. I'm going to email the dealer I bought it from and see what he says. I just wish I could return it. I know that's not a possibility but I'm feeling kind of anti Cruze at this point. Thanks again. Have a great week everyone.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts