Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
there's not a large quantity of tech comfortable with the Duramaxes either. GM sells diesels, but they've had a hard time getting dealers and techs to embrace. I'd wager the average dealer work on less than one real diesel concern per week. Many dealers in New Jersey can go weeks without seeing a diesel concern.
Weird. To go weeks without seeing a diesel concern means one of two things to me:
1. The engines are very reliable (NARRATOR: "They are not.")
2. The people who own them won't take them to the dealership for work.

Around me there are lots of businesses using Duramax pickups for real work. This includes the Chevy Kodiak (GMC Topkick) trucks that are HD above the 3500 pickups. When those businesses have a problem, it needs fixed NOW so they aren't losing money with a truck sidelined. I guess my Chevy dealership has a notable service department, but the service writers have given me the impression that their one or two diesel techs are usually booked solid with regular work and it's all on HD pickups. I can cruise through there and see any number of business trucks on the lot or in the service bays.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Weird. To go weeks without seeing a diesel concern means one of two things to me:
1. The engines are very reliable (NARRATOR: "They are not.")
2. The people who own them won't take them to the dealership for work.
The engines, all 3 of them, are very reliable. Electrical concerns are the largest issue across all platforms. Along with fuel pumps on pre '17 6.6s

Theres definitely a large portion of people who don't use dealers for service. Even just looking around here, you'll find many people, even under warranty don't go to dealer.

There's also a 3rd significant reason...there simply aren't that many small diesels on the road.

Around me there are lots of businesses using Duramax pickups for real work. This includes the Chevy Kodiak (GMC Topkick) trucks that are HD above the 3500 pickups. When those businesses have a problem, it needs fixed NOW so they aren't losing money with a truck sidelined. I guess my Chevy dealership has a notable service department, but the service writers have given me the impression that their one or two diesel techs are usually booked solid with regular work and it's all on HD pickups. I can cruise through there and see any number of business trucks on the lot or in the service bays.
Not every dealer does large or even proportional diesel service/sales, just like with the Vette, you'll find most dealers do small numbers and a smaller group services and sells the vast majority of the oil burners in any given area..

Yes, commercial vehicles are far more abundant than small diesels. In 2018 alone, Chevy sold over 81,000 Silverado 6.6s(and over 40k GMCs), in 2018 there was less than 1,500 LH7 Cruzes sold....or about a 1% take rate. If you apply 1% across all years of Cruze diesel production you get less than 90,000 total ever. Still only 3/4 of what the big boy does in a single year. {And 1% across all 5years of Cruze diesel is likely being REALLY generous }

·
Registered
648 Posts
in 2018 there was less than 1,500 LH7 Cruzes sold....or about a 1% take rate. If you apply 1% across all years of Cruze diesel production you get less than 90,000 total ever. Still only 3/4 of what the big boy does in a single year. {And 1% across all 5years of Cruze diesel is likely being REALLY generous }
The take rate is sad. The 2014-2015 models were a test marketing for GM to see if they could compete with VW (and that was before Dieselgate broke into the news). GM was looking for a 5% take rate, and I'm not sure they achieved that.

When VW completely exited the diesel market in the USA, GM made the generation 2 Cruze as a Golf/Jetta competitor for customers desiring diesel. I didn't see any marketing push for it. GM had the chance to pick up disaffected VW customers and they didn't even try.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How would I go about finding production numbers for 2018? I’m curious how many diesel came in a white w black interior rs 6 speed hatch diesel

·
Registered
320 Posts
How would I go about finding production numbers for 2018? I’m curious how many diesel came in a white w black interior rs 6 speed hatch diesel
I would also love to know the numbers for 2018 ... mine is diesel, manual, sedan, Satin Steel with the Kalahari interior ... the brown interior has to put it in a tiny number. Though I remember when I ordered mine there was actually a twin to it on a lot in Florida.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello

As the title states I’m looking for a dealership that is equipped and knows how to diagnose these gen 2 diesels

In the last 5 months, my cars spent almost 3 months at 2 different dealerships.

Issue: Car bucks and hesitates when you go to first start driving after a cold start. No CEL. Issue clears after 1-2 minutes and rides beautifully

Concern: dealership #1 replicated the issue 3 separate occasions and told me verbatim “our hands are tied, there’s no check engine light”. Then I brought it back with 80 miles left on my warranty and told them I won’t take the car back without a repair. Magically, they were unable to replicate the issue after keeping it for 2 weeks...sure ok
Dealership #2: car is at dealership #2 (where I bought the car new). They’ve got the car parked in the back lot. Issue only happens first 60 seconds of driving and goes away. It takes more than 60 seconds to drive to the exit of their lot to get up to speed. Unable to replicate issue because they refused to move the car next to the exit for a whole month and a half. 3 senior GM advisors and 1.5 months later I’ve finally got them to move the car towards the exit to begin recreating the conditions they exist under

Unrelated: also need a new nox sensor for CEL P11DB. Brought to dealer #2 pre-covid19, they turned my CEL and gave the car back. Light comes on, covid is upon us, now 2 months of waiting for the part there’s zero ETA. I’ve been through 4 senior GM advisors,2 dealerships, and have been dealing with this bucking for a year and a half.

I will drive anywhere. Anywhere in the USA to any dealership that claims to be able to properly diagnose a diesel gen 2 without a CEL.

Does anyone have any favorites? I’m growing desperate. I can’t go the lemon law route and it’s too late for buyback. I want to fix the car and get rid of it

My theory is my EGR is gunked up at 38,000 miles and is stuck when first driving but clears up with a little heat and rpm.
My gen 1 CTD was bucking like crazy @ 30K miles. I found the problem was caused by the egr valve but can be fixed without messing with the egr itself. All I did was pull the air inlet tube from the throttle body, then use a screwdriver to push the butterfly valve open and shine a flashlight into the throttle body. If you see a bunch of black gooey junk in there, that's most likely your problem. I use a tooth brush soaked in carb cleaner and a rag to get most of it out. It completely stopped bucking after that. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My gen 1 CTD was bucking like crazy @ 30K miles. I found the problem was caused by the egr valve but can be fixed without messing with the egr itself. All I did was pull the air inlet tube from the throttle body, then use a screwdriver to push the butterfly valve open and shine a flashlight into the throttle body. If you see a bunch of black gooey junk in there, that's most likely your problem. I use a tooth brush soaked in carb cleaner and a rag to get most of it out. It completely stopped bucking after that. Hope this helps!
That’s really good to know. I’m planning on doing just that, I’m mentioning it to the dealership this Tuesday and showing them video and photos I took of the egr valve. It looks like black lava in there, it’s almost completely plugged.

If dealership #3 doesn’t do anything then I’ll go the diy route. I think there’s so much crap in there that it would probably be safer to remove the valve and cooler and clean it, rather than risk sucking in a big ol chunk of carbon

38,000 miles. Spiritedly driven 50/50 town/highway driving. Used to let the car warm up by idling for 5 mins before driving on mornings of below freezing, but I think 30-60 seconds to circulate oil is all that’s required. I won’t be doing much of any idling going forward. I’m very conscious of now driving and operating in a manner to be mindful of the egr

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The take rate is sad. The 2014-2015 models were a test marketing for GM to see if they could compete with VW (and that was before Dieselgate broke into the news). GM was looking for a 5% take rate, and I'm not sure they achieved that.

When VW completely exited the diesel market in the USA, GM made the generation 2 Cruze as a Golf/Jetta competitor for customers desiring diesel. I didn't see any marketing push for it. GM had the chance to pick up disaffected VW customers and they didn't even try.
Gm has a problem with marketing. Even the beretta has the problem. GM will release a small scale cool car and won’t advertise it at all. They scratch head ashy it never sold.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts