Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m not the best with cars so forgive me for not knowing many terms. I have a 2011 Cruze LT with 153,000 miles on it. Recently I had an “AC off due to high engine temp” alert pop up and then disappear within a few seconds. This happened a couple times and would always disappear after, and the temperature sensor never actually went past the middle, so I don’t think it was genuinely overheating. I took it to a mechanic and he discovered that oil had covered the sensor, which (we think) was the reason for the weird alerts. He continued to tell me that I need a new engine, catalytic converter, and possibly turbo. Now, as this would cost upwards of $5000, it’s not really plausible and I’d rather get a new car at that point. However, I’d like to keep this one running for as long as possible.

I recently had a valve cover replaced about 3 weeks ago which seemed to solve an issue I was having with the car starting to stall at red lights. However, it will still kick the fan on and off (as if it were overheating) while on idle. I’m starting to think that the oil leaking and the erratic fan may be related, but not sure. Has anyone else had these issues? I’d love a second opinion :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You definitely need a second opinion after a mechanic told you that replacing everything will fix everything...LOL.

It's very possible you have oil contaminated sensors and wiring causing your issues. You need to see another competent mechanic, or provide us with some pictures of the areas of concern and a list of any trouble codes the car has stored(most part stores will read the codes and provide you a list)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts