Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Cruze 1.4t

So I got the turbo low output service code. Also engine is low on power. Took it to a chev dealer and they say they found a significant vacuum leak that may be the cause. They can't diagnosis the turbo till the vacuum leak is repaired. They say the leak is from the front cover. 6 hours work. The pan needs to be dropped and rocker cover off to do this. Also about $380 in parts.

I thought the front cover would be under pressure from the base and not vacuum..They say the cover is intagreated with the EGR and it needs a new gasket to solve the vacuum leak.

Does any of this make sense?

If I need a turbo after this the bill will be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
A common problem is the PCV valve that is part of the cover. But the labor and parts price doesn't sound right. Since the car is probably over 5 years old at this point, there's no power train warranty left. You might want to consider a trusted local mechanic. I don't think there's any benefit to going to a dealer on this job.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeM4BZwaqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEd6g-tAevw

This is the top valve cover leak.

The dealer is saying that there's a leak in the front cover? To me this would be the timing chain cover under the water pump, and harmonic balancer, (Crank pulley).

I'd pop the top piece of plastic off the top of the valve cover, and see if you have a vacuum leak where the first video shows a round plastic piece.

The valve cover is covering the top of the cam gears, which are under part of the front cover. So it's possible that the front cover could be leaking, but after 5 years, of reading a lot of posts on this forum, you would be the first with a leaking front cover.

The only thing that goes through the front cover is the water pump, and the water pump bolts. I didn't think the area around the timing chains were exposed to vacuum.

Maybe some other members who have turned wrenches for years like Robby will comment on this one.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Um.......either my memory is as short as my little robby or I've lost my mind......EGR valve? What EGRvalve? I don't believe there is one.

Are you setting a lean code? (p0171).

I will assume you are in the USA.

Find another dealer......don't even go back to this one.

If a vacuum leak was massive enough to cause a power loss, the car would barely (or not) idle.

This engine is used in Chevrolet Sonic-Cruze-Trax and Buick Verano and whatever they call their Trax varient, so you have two dealerships, Buick and Chevrolet, that are (should be) familiar with this engine.
The dealer you are (were) at has provided a useless diagnostic.

Rob

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It may help if you post the codes they gave you. Or take a picture of your written estimate with the codes and post it. We're a pretty friendly forum.

I agree something doesn't feel right with their diagnosis.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0299
Unfortunately the car is already apart so no chance for a second. I willnlet you know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think there's been a few of those. In their case it was a worn wastegate actuator pivot pin. But the normal fix is to replace the assembly that includes the turbo. In that case, your numbers sound a little more reasonable. If they're NOT replacing the turbo, I'd like to know what they are doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts