Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with ~121,000 miles on it now.

Recently the check engine light has come on and when scanned is throwing the following error codes:
P015B -- O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Lean to Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0171 -- Bank 1 System Too Lean
P0299 -- Turbocharger / Supercharge A Underboost Condition
P0507 -- Idle Air Control System Revolutions Per Minute Higher Than Expected
P2270 -- Oxygen Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2

Would anyone who may have any knowledge on these codes be able to help me diagnose what the main issue could be?
I have done some research and am thinking the O2 sensor may be the first place to start, but would take any and all pointers.

Thanks!
Jake

·
Registered
192 Posts
Start with the camshaft cover. Is it leaking vacuum? Pull the ecotec cover off and check the top right of the cam cover. There's a little hole there. It shouldn't be sucking. It can throw a whirlwind of codes and have you chasing your tail for days.

There's also the possibility of needing a Turbo (P0299). You should notice this one in how it drives. Does it feel like a dog and doesn't pull?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start with the camshaft cover. Is it leaking vacuum? Pull the ecotec cover off and check the top right of the cam cover. There's a little hole there. It shouldn't be sucking. It can throw a whirlwind of codes and have you chasing your tail for days.

There's also the possibility of needing a Turbo (P0299). You should notice this one in how it drives. Does it feel like a dog and doesn't pull?
Thanks so much for the tips! I’ll start with camshaft cover.

I was reading about the turbo issue earlier and am really hoping it’s not what it is. I am not really noticing a lack of power, she still gets up to speed as normal. The only thing I’m noticing is an occasional hard time while idling.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks so much for the tips! I’ll start with camshaft cover.

I was reading about the turbo issue earlier and am really hoping it’s not what it is. I am not really noticing a lack of power, she still gets up to speed as normal. The only thing I’m noticing is an occasional hard time while idling.

Thanks again!
I'm saying start with it by seeing if it's leaking. Not just slap a new one on and hope it fixes it by the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with ~121,000 miles on it now.

Recently the check engine light has come on and when scanned is throwing the following error codes:
Visiting Autoguysland to review what we should do when no codes are stored in the module.
Would anyone who may have any knowledge on these codes be able to help me diagnose what the main issue could be?
I have done some research and am thinking the O2 sensor may be the first place to start, but would take any and all pointers.

Thanks!
Jake
Here is a related post link. You can refer to find down the issue and solution. Hope it can help.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,928 Posts
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues
2011-2016 Cruze Limited 1.4L PCV System Explained

P015B -- Potential causes for this code to set are:

Defective O2 sensor(s)
Burnt, broken, or disconnected wiring and/or connectors
Defective catalytic converter
Engine exhaust leaks

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p015b

P0171 -- A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

P0299 -- Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0299

P0507 -- A P0507 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

A vacuum leak
Leaking air intake after the throttle body EGR valve leaking vacuum
A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body
Failed EVAP system Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0507

P2270 - The causes for this DTC may include:

Exhaust leak near O2 sensor
Contaminated or failed HO2S2 (Sensor 2)
HO2S2 wiring/circuit problem
Loose installation of HO2S2
Fuel pressure incorrect
Faulty fuel injector
Engine coolant leak
Faulty purge solenoid valve
PCM has failed

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/P2270

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
System is lean. Because it's running rich. Trying to lean it out.

I could see a bad turbo not injecting the air. Basically acting as somewhat of a choke to cause the system to running rich.

Wouldn't a vacuum leak cause sensor rich codes? It's running to lean and trying to make it richer.

That's how things worked back in the day anyways.

·
Registered
192 Posts
System is lean. Because it's running rich. Trying to lean it out.

I could see a bad turbo not injecting the air. Basically acting as somewhat of a choke to cause the system to running rich.

Wouldn't a vacuum leak cause sensor rich codes? It's running to lean and trying to make it richer.

That's how things worked back in the day anyways.
System is lean because it's running lean. Vacuum leak would allow excessive air into the system which it can't see and account for. Therefore it can't add the necessary fuel to get the correct fuel ratio to air. It's constantly to little fuel to air, aka running lean.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
System is lean because it's running lean. Vacuum leak would allow excessive air into the system which it can't see and account for. Therefore it can't add the necessary fuel to get the correct fuel ratio to air. It's constantly to little fuel to air, aka running lean.

When the system is lean. The sensors try to fatten up. When you read the sensors on a scanner. You see rich measurements. Not lean.

If the system is rich. Then you'd see lean readings.

I used to think like your thinking. But snapon explained it to me. And that's how it was taught in a bosch and delco remy class.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Example

O2 reads .3v to .6v. With .45v being the middle.
Lower means lean. Higher means rich.

If the exhaust is lean. O2 will try fatten it up. It's going to read above .45v. Not lower.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Lean means lean. Yes, the system will try to enrich, but it has limits. If it hits the limit and is still lean, it sets a lean code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Jake
Hey my daughter's 2015 did the same. Took to shop they replaced the o2 sensor and the pcv valve and it's running great now. They put new valve cover also

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey my daughter's 2015 did the same. Took to shop they replaced the o2 sensor and the pcv valve and it's running great now. They put new valve cover also
The PCV valve IS the cover from what I gather? I'm more or less asking because my Cruze is TERRIBLE rn

·
Super Moderator
8,928 Posts
The PCV valve IS the cover from what I gather? I'm more or less asking because my Cruze is TERRIBLE rn
One of the two PCV valves resides in the intake manifold and the other at the end of the hose going to the turbo (one of these days I'll figure out the name of that). The PCV vacuum regulator is part of the valve cover (the round looking spot) and that is usually blown because the PCV valve in the intake manifold is defunct and pressurizing the valve cover and sometimes the block which then may blow the front crank seal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of the two PCV valves resides in the intake manifold and the other at the end of the hose going to the turbo (one of these days I'll figure out the name of that). The PCV vacuum regulator is part of the valve cover (the round looking spot) and that is usually blown because the PCV valve in the intake manifold is defunct and pressurizing the valve cover and sometimes the block which then may blow the front crank seal.

So let me ask you this.. my car is burning oil, rough idling at 400 rpm and I have a misfire on cylinder 2. Can all of this be the result of that one $80 part?

I have an O2 sensor code, a map code as well

·
Super Moderator
8,928 Posts
So let me ask you this.. my car is burning oil, rough idling at 400 rpm and I have a misfire on cylinder 2. Can all of this be the result of that one $80 part?

I have an O2 sensor code, a map code as well
It could be, assuming you are talking about the fix kit. It could also be other things. I would pull the plugs, clean them, regap them, clean out the plug wells, borescope the pistions with a cheap endoscope, and at the same time look at the orange nipple. If it is gone, for sure you need the kit, but even if it is still there (as mine was) you may still need the kit. I say for the price, just do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts