Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

help with p0171

33787 24
i have a 2012 chevy cruze eco, 70K miles. i have replaced the O2 sensors, the MAP sensor, and now the car is still throwing the p0171 code. It all started with the O2 sensors codes then the map sensor was throwing a code. everything i have read points to the pcv valve in the valve cover and replacement of the valve cover. Im about at wits end here throwing parts at this car, has anyone else had this similar issue here? I can also tell you the diaphragm on the valve cover hisses/sucks air a lot, dunno if that is normal never paid any attention to it?

any help please!!!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It just gets stuck and then sucked in down one of the runners and melted or something. Doesn't seem to cause damage.

Yes, I saw the installation personally on XR's car and know of several others that have been running it for a while now. It's actually mostly hidden from view from the top - very clean.
since this just started doing this in the last 300 miles how long do you think i can run without doing any damage to the pistons and etc ? honestly so far i have not consumed oil or affected mpg. this is my only car so just wondering if i need to stop driving it now or if i can continue while i wait on parts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do the valve cover as soon as you can.

Do the intake manifold work when you get a chance.

Won't hurt anything, but oil gets sucked through all the turbo plumbing.
so this may be a dumb question but wont putting the new valve cover on (which should be here tonight) just blow the pcv valve again since i dont have the non return valve repaired?

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
so this may be a dumb question but wont putting the new valve cover on (which should be here tonight) just blow the pcv valve again since i dont have the non return valve repaired?
Not right away. Should be good for a few thousand miles. But left untouched, the valve cover can make the car unpredictable and almost undrivable at its worst.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
alright ya'll thanks for all the input, i just intalled XR's kit and new valve cover tonight with the help of a friend and cold beer! letting everything sit overnight before starting the motor, i did notice that from the factory looks like they put rtv/black silicone on the valve cover gasket where the front of the motor comes together, so i did the same and wanted to let it sit, looks like the plastic gasket they used from GM to tie the front of the motor together, the rubber valve cover gasket may not mate correctly, thus the use of the silicone?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.