Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco last night. It has only 21,000 miles on it. Well tonight when I get home it smells of this horrid burnt rubber smell and there is smoke rolling out under the hood. I have no idea what is causing this and what to do about it. Somebody help!

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Open the hood, check the oil, and visually inspect the coolant tank and make sure that it's full then check the belt for any signs of damage. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check the belt. Burnt rubber leaves me with that. If it looks messed up at all, start car and see if a pulley is acting weird or frozen.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco last night. It has only 21,000 miles on it. Well tonight when I get home it smells of this horrid burnt rubber smell and there is smoke rolling out under the hood. I have no idea what is causing this and what to do about it. Somebody help!
Return this back from whence you bought it and demand reparations.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That's certainly not common for a Cruze. You're going to have to open the hood and see where that smell is coming from. Either that are take it somewhere for repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had somebody look at it and was told it may be the belt or some other little things. So tomorrow I will be calling the dealership that I bought it from. I have a bumper to bumper warranty so they will definitely be fixing the problem. Can't believe they sold me car with this problem they should have fixed before hand.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The smoke may be coming from the belt, but something is causing it to smoke. Most likely something driven by the belt has frozen up. But if you have Bumper-to-bumper, then that should take care of it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Your first test drive was from your dealership to your home? Sounds like you are lacking experiencing in purchasing a vehicle.

Prefer buying from a new car dealership, what they consider junk and not worth fixing goes to the auction where used car guys think they can make some money off these things.

Really bad is private parties, will tell any kind of lie to get rid of the darn thing.

Dealerships around here will let me take the car for three days, before I sign that dotted line. They do charge a little more, but once you are aware of the huge parts cost, a heck of a lot cheaper to pay that money up front. Even a lot worse if you have to pay 90-200 bucks an hour for some kid that doesn't even know what he is doing to repair it.

Going to vehemently disagree with my fellow board members.

DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD, DO NOT TAKE IT BACK!

Call the dealer and have them pick it up, for all you know, some idiot didn't properly install that oil filter cap that can cause an engine fire taking your life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it from a Chevy dealership itself so no I'm not an inexperienced car buyer. We didn't think it was anything to important for sitting for a year.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
See if it's still making the smell when you pick it up. Maybe a plastic bag got on the exhaust pipe or something and it's all burnt off now. If it comes back, you'll have to raise the hood and see where it's coming from. Better yet, take a picture for the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what the dealership had suggested, but would a plastic bag create smoke to come out from underneath the hood?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It could. Smoke goes up. So if it's under the car, but close to the engine compartment, it could come out from under the hood.

Another possibility is that a bearing froze on the serpentine belt. Once everything shut off, it could free up again. That's why a picture of where it's coming from would be helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I'll check on that tomorrow evening when I go to pick up my car. Thank you for the help I'll keep y'all posted

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
That's what the dealership had suggested, but would a plastic bag create smoke to come out from underneath the hood?
Oh yes. I once picked up a large Sears bag on the catalytic converter of my caprice and that thing went all "Snowbirds smoke on" for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yeah, when I see I've driven over a plastic bag on the road, I check my rear view mirror to see if it's still there. Or, at least I used to. Like a lot of modern cars, the Cruze doesn't have the rear visibility that I'd wish for.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Looks like I assumed the worst, plastic bags getting sucked up on the highway is becoming a common problem. Helps if you have a full under vehicle plastic shield like dream cars have, generates a more aerodynamic airflow.

Cruze did have and engine shield, and the exhaust is hottest coming out of the exhaust manifold, but should see burnt traces of it if this was the problem.

People should not throw plastic bags on the highway, should toss them in the middle of the Pacific Ocean along with their plastic bottles. Just being facetious, should take all this plastic crap and shove them up the butts of the corporations that manufacture them.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
This reminds me of a time I went on a holiday with my wife and I got trapped between cars and was forced to run over a piece of plastic on the road that turned out to be a mattress covering. All of a sudden I got this massive vibration and the car sounded like it was about fall apart. The Commodore is RWD and the plastic had wrapped around the tail shaft, throwing it massively out of balance. It was about 4am and I had to drive 200km before I could find somewhere to cut it off for me. The plastic had fused to the shaft and took about half an hour on the hoist to remove. Thankfully there was no damage done, it was a slow 200k though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts