Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I had the pleasure of performing some paint correction on a blue 12 LT2 this week. I am a paint correction/touch up tech for a few dealers in my area (I have my own company). I normally have higher end cars (Infiniti, Cadillac, Porsche, etc) that I work on daily. On my walk thru the lot I saw this poor little Cruze that had 41k rental rocket miles on it. I asked the GM if he would let me work on it and make it look better... he agreed and here is what it looked like.

Overall, the entire car needed help (typical rental car wear all over). I worked the entire car, however here I am showing just the hood.

The hood has lots of scratches, marring, swirls and rock chips. The lower passenger side of the hood was especially ugly- much worse in person.

Here is a shot of the hood partially buffed- 1st stage.

Hood- all buffed. Still needs touch up.

After buffing and paint chip repair.

The white marks on the nose are just reflections.

The RF corner of the hood... :clap:

Tools used:

Flex polisher
Menzerna FG400 with a microfiber pad for initial bufffing
Sonax 4/6 on an Orange pad for final buffing
New Finish Technology paint repair system (my company)

In the end- the car looked much better! It was a fun little job. Please feel free to ask any paint correction questions!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow quite the transformation! Looks much better!!!!! I am a newbie that is trying to learn the basics of paint correction. I know how to get some minor scratches and swirls out using a DA polisher. But I have come across an obstacle. I have several paint chips here and there on my Cruze and I would like to make them less noticeable. I know it will be never perfect but I want to fill the chips up with paint and make it blend in as much as possible. Should I fill the chips up with touch up and wet sand it with a 2000 grit down smooth with the rest of the paint? Or should I avoid wet sanding as much as possible and stick with compounds and polishes? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

What color is your car? Darker colors (black) or white are pretty forgiving for touch up. Silvers, golds, etc are a little more challenging.

My suggestion is similar to yours-
Obtain a bottle of factory color from the dealer.
Get a VERY fine brush from an art supply store.
I add about an ounce of lacquer thinner to the paint before applying- shake it well! This will allow the paint to "flow" better into the chip.

Use the fine brush to gently dab a small amount of paint into the chip. It might take 3-5 coats- allow some time for it to dry between applications (15-30 min is usually enough). Take your time- even spread it over a couple of days to make it look good.

If the paint is too "high"- then allow it to cure for 24hrs or so and do the 2000-2500 grit wet sand. Be very careful near edges and on curves as the clear coat is a bit thinner.

Polish with a DA polisher/ Orange or Pink pad (lake country) and a good quality polish (Meguires makes good OTC stuff) and polish until it looks good to you. The wet sand/ polishing is fun and won't take long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the Black granite metallic. Now for the lacquer thinner, can I put it directly in the bottle of touch up paint? And will adding the thinner affect the shelf life of the paint? So polish should be adequate and not compound as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries on a small amount of lacquer thinner. It will help keep the paint in a liquid state. As for buffing, a good polishing product and pad will handle 2000+ sanding marks just fine. It may take a few passes, but should polish up quite nicely.

The most important thing is to have fun with it. That color is beautiful when it's polished... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok sounds good! Thanks for the tips. Yea the granite metallic is beautiful when its clean. I'm just a little worried with polishing it often because some of the clear coat is removed every time it is polished. That's my biggest concern. Just dont want to have a car that has little to none clear coat from polishing it all the time lol.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Looks Great

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

Don't be afraid to polish as you feel it needs.

Compounding frequently?... Well, that's something to be careful with...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts