Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been asked before I didn't see it. What is a Hengst oil filter vs a regular filter? I just changed my oil and replaced filter with same as came out. Did not appear to have a "check valve"? Or is Hengst just a name? I saw a variation in RockAuto

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The first ACDelco filters for the 2011 Cruzes where Branded Hengst. They are the manufacturer/designer of the filter and the oil cooler assembly on the 1.4L Cruze. Hengst is one of the largest European oil cartridge design manufacturers in Europe.

As most of the oil filters on European cars are cartridges, vs. metal cans. I believe the diesel fuel filter on the 2.0L CTD might be Hengst as well. There was an article many years ago explaining the technology behind the diesel fuel/oil separator filter posted on their site.

About a year latter AC Delco had the same filter branded with ACDelco and the Hengst was removed. One filter comes in a white box, the other comes in a plastic bag. Both are good quality, but I think Rockauto had some complaints with the filters in a bag. Order filters along with other parts and it's really easy to have crushed filters when they are only packaged in a bag.

I thought they went back to the filters packaged in the white boxes.. I've even noticed Walmarts near me carry the AcDelco white box filter for about $6.50. How long will that last though, as it appears they have been on the shelf for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Yep, the Gen 1 diesels use a cartridge-style oil filter and the AC/Delco one does come in a white box. Wix sells one for the diesel too but it’s in the traditional Wix branded box.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
As stated, Hengst is the supplier of the OE filter as well as the aluminum housing bolted to the block and the plastic housing cap.

There is no check or anti drainback valve in the filter....it is integral with the housing. The GM PF2257G filter is now packaged in a conventional red/white/blue GM box, replacing the earlier white box packaging. Hengst is printed on the inlet side of the filter.
I see no difference in the two.

What I do see often though is other brand filters may be slightly longer......just enough longer that they appear slightly crushed upon removal and, so far, it seems the GM filter, early or late, is the only one that comes with a silicone 'O'ring as opposed to some aftermarket units coming with no, or a viton (sp) 'O'ring.
The viton rings tend to get brittle.......I have not seen any cause a leak though.

Rob

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/techBulletins/Wix/GM%201.4L%20Oil%20Filter%20Product%20Alert%20%20English.pdf

I think Wix has an article on this too, I seems there is two models of filter depends on the Hengst or not. The "normal" filter is 57674 for the none UFI cap according to RockAuto.

Here is the article, I think this answers the OP's Question.
Wow, very interesting. So GM used both Hengst and UFI filter housings on the 1.4L?

Hopefully the same is NOT true for the 2.0L diesel. I just put a WIX filter in last oil change...ugh.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Wow, very interesting. So GM used both Hengst and UFI filter housings on the 1.4L?

Hopefully the same is NOT true for the 2.0L diesel. I just put a WIX filter in last oil change...ugh.
I found this when researching the Wix filter specs, from the way I understand the article this is only for the 1.4L. Does the 2.0 use the same still housing and cap? I would think it would be tough to install the wrong one.

FYI my car was built 03/11 and the 57674 is the only Wix filter that RockAuto shows that works with the 2011, so I wonder if the variations could come from the model of the vehicle since a few are listed in the bottom right.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I found this when researching the Wix filter specs, from the way I understand the article this is only for the 1.4L. Does the 2.0 use the same still housing and cap? I would think it would be tough to install the wrong one.

FYI my car was built 03/11 and the 57674 is the only Wix filter that RockAuto shows that works with the 2011, so I wonder if the variations could come from the model of the vehicle since a few are listed in the bottom right.
You’re correct, for 2014 models WIX only shows 567674 for the gassers (both 1.4L and 1.8L).

2014 diesel calls for a different filter than the gas models...WL10021. The diesel does have a paper element with o-rings, not the ‘can-style’.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts