Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK: both "substantiated opinions" and verified "in use" data appreciated:

On my new 2014 1 LT Eco, what mileage and ROI differences has anyone "seen" between Tier 1 87 gas and Tier 1 91 or 93 gas?

First 750 miles the Cruze has run like a champ on T1 87 .Any compelling/documented reason to "upgrade" to a higher octane? Cost/benefit?

Does the 1 LT chip/sensor still retard spark on higher octane? If so, is that any benefit?

Thanks

·
10,711 Posts
If your car can run 87 summer and winter to your liking you can do so. On stock tune my car hated 87 in the summer mostly and sometimes in the winter. I tried top tier and regular reputable gas station chains 87 to not have any luck. Now tuned, all I run is 93 V Power if it's available in whatever city/state/region I'm in when I fill up. Besides not having the same acceleration in the upper rev range I also had serious bog issues in 1st gear off the line if I didn't rev 3K w or w/o a/c on. Having to rev higher to leave on a green light, blip throttle as I come to a stop for a stop sign or just up and running the stop sign to avoid bog made me realize 87 was not for me.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
In crooked Wisconsin with eight ethanol plants in violation of federal EPA emission standards, you have no idea what you are getting with 87 or 89 up to 10% ethanol gas. Ethanol free 91 octane use to be 15 cents more per gallon, now more like 40 cents. So just pay the price.

Many of my friends and relatives are paying the extra price, can get a good tank one time with ethanol, and a disaster the next. So no basis for stating the difference between ethanol free top tier 91 octane and this ethanol stuff.

Son just told me with his new E-85 Town and Country, filled up with ethanol free 91 octane and got 28 mpg, where before was lucky to get 22. Worth the extra 40 cents.

Due to some fair trade act, all the prices for gas are the same price, even at so-called cut rate stations. But I can save around a $1.50 a month in gas cost by getting a credit card for some stations. Not worth it.

·
10,711 Posts
In crooked Wisconsin with eight ethanol plants in violation of federal EPA emission standards, you have no idea what you are getting with 87 or 89 up to 10% ethanol gas. Ethanol free 91 octane use to be 15 cents more per gallon, now more like 40 cents. So just pay the price.

Many of my friends and relatives are paying the extra price, can get a good tank one time with ethanol, and a disaster the next. So no basis for stating the difference between ethanol free top tier 91 octane and this ethanol stuff.

Son just told me with his new E-85 Town and Country, filled up with ethanol free 91 octane and got 28 mpg, where before was lucky to get 22. Worth the extra 40 cents.

Due to some fair trade act, all the prices for gas are the same price, even at so-called cut rate stations. But I can save around a $1.50 a month in gas cost by getting a credit card for some stations. Not worth it.
Some of those stations in NJ charge you 2 different prices canceling out the fuel perks from the credit card.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I too run VPower 93. I get at minimum 4 mpg better but then again I'm tuned also. Even without a tune I've always noticed, no matter what I'm driving, that the engine idles and seems to accelerate smoother on a higher octane.

·
Registered
73 Posts
no tune for me but i know on sunoco 87 in first id get a little bit of a bog down/hesitation switched to sunoco 91 and it went away. mileage wise i havent seen anything because i drive like every day is a 20 mile road rally to work lol.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
I have noticed ~2-3 MPG more running on 89 instead of 87 in winter/cooler spring and fall temps - I expect that to be more in the summer as timing is pulled more on low octane, and MPG improves overall once it's not as cold. However, as the car runs on 87 just fine in the cold, I don't bother with the higher octane, as it costs ~30 cents more for 89 and ~50-60 cents for 93 octane in my area. I miss the days of 10-cent gaps between grades.

In the summer, my car runs like a turd with the AC running on 87 octane, so I have to run at least 89. 93 is slightly more responsive at low RPMs where I like to drive.

Both definitely idle slightly less rough and are smoother under acceleration at low RPM than 87.

*note: I run copper plugs in my car, which seem to respond better with lower octane than the stock iridiums in the 2012 model. I believe the 2014 runs a hotter plug.

Does the 1 LT chip/sensor still retard spark on higher octane? If so, is that any benefit?
Yes, even on 93, and especially if you heat soak the intercooler pulling away from a light. The Cruze is constantly pinging off the knock sensor, trying to run as much cam and spark advance as it can, then backing it off, but it's much more noticeable on a manual transmission than an automatic, IMO. I spend a lot of time at or under 2500 RPM with a relatively heavy foot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I THOUGHT I had a 1.4 turbo...don't I?

Pouring outside or I'd go get the window sticker :>)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dragon:

Appreciate your feedback.And yes it is a 1 LT.

Any noticable differences between Tier 1 high octane gas...locally I can get Shell and Exxon.Occasionally Hess and of course Royal and Liberty.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Maybe like to think Exxon-Mobile are the biggest crooks in the oil business, but in my experience, have the best gasoline available that is giving me the best performance and fuel economy. But with an EPA with over 155 different blends of gas, oil pipe mixups, no telling what you are getting. And at any gas station, price is exactly the same.

Have this stupid winter gas here, more volatile, Idiots at the EPA want a quicker warm up time for the catalytic converter. For those extra few seconds of warm up time, lucky to average 30 mpg during the winter months. Now with summer gas, getting much closer to 40 mpg average per tank. Could put in two tanks, one for the winter gas until the engine warms up, then switch to summer gas to get decent fuel economy.

For awhile was talking about an electrically heated catalytic converter, but way two expensive, were told by the SAE, would be far cheaper to spray in gas directly into the cat for a quicker warmup, but the DOT wouldn't here of it, thus the need for a winter blend.

Iridium is only found where meteors hit the earth, assumed not natural and gift from outer space, far more expensive, and should be better than platinum, right? Not in my experience, more misfires and poorer fuel economy, so dumped those and went back to platinum. Have both single and double platinum, single is stupid, like that ground electrode doesn't wear off. Only insist on double.

Trying to survive in a country ran by idiots is not easy. A 17 mile section of pipeline in Janesville was shut down by the EPA for repairs, so had to use tankers for a 34 mile round trip until it was repaired. At the pumps, gas went up 75 cents per gallon for this short haul. And people complain about pipes. Having 155 different blends of gas doesn't help either, with no reports from the EPA if this is actually making a difference. But they don't have to prove anything.

Want to be the head of the EPA? Only requirement is to help some guy get elected into office, whether you are an idiot or not, doesn't make any difference.

Engineering is a science, when I first started in this field, wondered why they don't teach political engineering in college.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick:

Always enjoy and appreciate your sardonic...but insightful...posts.

And no doubt, 95% of marketing and "official studies" ...is processed BS at best...unstrained and raw at worst.

Seems like gasoline resembles the bottled water industry.

Maybe we should just be happy that our vehicles start and run most of the time...no matter what goes in the tank LOL

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Dragon:

Appreciate your feedback.And yes it is a 1 LT.

Any noticable differences between Tier 1 high octane gas...locally I can get Shell and Exxon.Occasionally Hess and of course Royal and Liberty.
There are noticeable differences, but it varies per car (not make/model, but individual vehicle). Mine does best on Shell, but as NickD said, his is best on Exxon/Mobil. You will have to try it out and find the best for you. RUn at least 2 full tanks before changing though, as it takes at least that much to get the old gas out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts