Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Devon Staples, 22, was killed instantly this past 4th of July weekend after he attempted to light a firework off the top of his head. Staples became the first firework-related fatality in Maine since the state first legalized fireworks back in 2012. While some may see Staples’ unfortunate accident as a nominee for the Darwin Awards, his mother, Kathleen Staples, sees it as a call for stricter laws regarding who can and cannot handle explosives."At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" the grieving mother told the Associated Press. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."

According to authorities, Staples had been drinking with some friends at a friend’s home in Calais, Maine this past Saturday night when the group went out to the back deck to light fireworks. Staples died after a reloadable firework mortar tube exploded on the top of his head. Staples’ friends and his older brother Cory Staples said they tried to dissuade him, but he ended up going through with his fateful decision.

Staples’ mother is now calling for lawmakers to consider safety training courses for anyone who wishes to work with or handle fireworks. Although she said her son thought the firework was a “dud,” meaning it wouldn’t go off, State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas believes that to be unlikely because it had already been fired and he "can't imagine someone would anticipate that it was a dud."

“There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there,” Cody Staples told the NY Daily News. “It was a freak accident … But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”
Decapitations, lost limbs, and other serious injuries associated with the annual explosive celebration on Independence Day are pretty common, especially when there’s no one with training around. DIY firework displays result in 9,300 injuries, $32 million in property damage, and 20,000 fires each year. So was Devon Staples’s ill-fated decision a call for better firework safety regulation or a failure to heed common sense?

LINK
Her Son Died By Lighting Fireworks On His Head; Now She Wants Stricter Laws

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Why make laws for people who injure themselves from no offense pure stupidity? Should we force people take safety courses on swimming before they can have a pool, or knife classes before you can cut a steak or how about laws for regulation and how to use a stove so you dont set your house on fire?

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Gee - she didn't teach her son common sense and now she wants the government to enforce common sense. What a pair of morons - on dead and one grieving.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gee - she didn't teach her son common sense and now she wants the government to enforce common sense. What a pair of morons - on dead and one grieving.

Yea, seems to me like it is a lack of common sense. Its the same argument as everything else. Punish all for what some stupid ass did to himself. Im sorry but if you are that dumb to put a ******* mortar on your head and try to launch a firework...well thats call natural selection at its finest my friends.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Hey Common Sense Exists ? where ? were you born with IT . where can you find IT . Oh some interested party decided to teach Common Sense in School .. Nahh never happen ..

Learn from other peoples mistakes so you can make your own unusual and interesting mistakes of your own ..

He was killed from the concussion generated by the detonation of the explòsive device placed upon his Numbskill all by hisself ..........

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Lol...poor SOB. There is daaammmnnnn little you can do to safeguard people when they insist on using something unsafely and not as intended. They should, however, put warnings on these explosives..."Do not place on head and ignite". Kind of like razors are not meant for human consumption. Everybody eventually learns...but sometimes people aren't able to apply the lesson learned to future use...meet Staples.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But the government will probably pass some laws to try and prevent stupidity. News flash guys...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!! All it will be is more loss of freedom for some of the more common sense citizens. Then again common sense isn't too common these days.

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
I'd cut the mother some slack - she's grieving.

Sounds like a classic "hold my beer and watch this" moment to me.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Reminds me of the old Jeff Foxworthy joke. "What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies? Hey ya'll, watch this!"

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Ya just can't fix stupid.

They call it the Darwin Award for a reason...a very good one.

Take sharp objects from an idiot like that and they could still hurt themselves with a cheap flimsy plastic spork.

You can't idiot proof the world.

·
10,695 Posts
Just to play this out for a second, what age is appropriate to buy and use fireworks then? Will there be a questionnaire to fill out and a safety video you must watch in the presence of the seller of said fireworks? Will there be a blood, breath, or urine test done prior to sale to detect substances that impair judgement and motor skills?

·
Premium Member
7,776 Posts
Why are we trying so hard to save everyone? It's not like we're an endangered species. Hey, as long as it's due to self-selection .... ;)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys no need for more fireworks laws. This is how we thin the gene pool. Sometimes it's automated.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Amazing stuff and I love the opinions....all have merit BTW.

I often tell folks to read all the warning labels that are applied to a stepladder.......set aside about an hour to read them and when done, you'll want to take it back.....good grief.
Sad part is every one of the warnings came about because some nitwit tried to do what it warns against.
The ladder company got sued by the injured nitwit or their grieving family....the ladder company paid a bit of money to make them go away, and added another warning label.....with the attended price increase of course.
Now, the twenty five dollar ladder is a hundred and fifty bucks......with a hundred tewnty five of the price for liability insurance......good grief, again!

I was at my sons for the fourth.....one of his wifes family showd up toting a bunch of rockets and whatnot.

At dusk, he's bothering me for my lighter.....Silly me, I told him to either use a punk or a lit cigarette.....the whole fuse lights with a lighter.................

He knew better.....you can guess.....five minutes later, at ground level, his first (and only) attempt at success goes off showering him and others (I was on the other side of the lot) with the instant, no takeoff explosion.
I guess it wasn't his day to get hurt (other than ears ringing).......He returned my lighter once his hearing came back, doomash.
He wisely decided to call it a night........I guess he figured he is faster than a fuse....thought wrong.

So, lets see......time to point fingers.
Used a method to light fuse that is more than dangerous.
Tried to launch the thing within ten feet of onlookers.
The resulting ground level explosion likely harmed his hearing (and others).

I could go on and on but in this screwball, it's not my fault society, blame for something must be assessed.
I know many lawers.....the fault likely would be placed on...........ME..........I provided the means for the accident because I knew the possibility of a ground fire was heightened by using a lighter.
Just got me thinking.

I live in Illinois.....fireworks are illegal in Illinois......this dope shows why........all those warnings must've been printed for someone else.

I heard on the news this morning, in addition to the guy blowing his head open, two football players injured themselves as well.....one guy lost one finger, the other lost two fingers.......I'm sure there are hundreds more.

The Darwin theory applies.....you cannot fix or legislate stupid.
I'm sorry for the grieving mom.....but part of the grief should include the knowledge that her son was a drunken nitwit......I have no sympathy for those who make their own grief.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Rob

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the warning on my lawn mower. It shows a hand with the red circle/slash that means don't put your hand in the blade while running. Believe it or not some people do need to be told that, not to mention the lawyers that want to blame Briggs & Stratton.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts