Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, the camera didn't do a great job of capturing this on video, but it does give you an idea. it's developed a few leaks over it's 202K miles. You can see where the main oil leak is at about 1:58-1:59. I am not sure what that is.

https://youtu.be/JmHihV3-0SI

Reactions: Poje

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The yellow highlighted part is pooled oil. The red circle more clearly shows where the oil is coming from. Any ideas?

Batman Fictional character Font Black-and-white Photography

Reactions: Poje

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a can of Junk brand engine cleaner and spray it all over under your engine. Then take it thru a car was to degrease everything. Too hard to see without more light on everything.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,881 Posts
Are you able to get under there during the day to maybe get a better shot? Was hard to tell where it was coming from, though having not been underneath ours, yet (perks of buying it new?), I might not be able to theorize exactly where you were looking at.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
That was like watching some kind of black ops or WWII movie.

The blair witch project: diesel edition.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to try to get under there to get a better look in the next couple days. Nothing's hitting the ground yet though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Can't see anything on the video.. however found a leak on my wife's car when doing my first oil change... Drain plug was not on tight.. so much for GM service. I only removed the plug since I had a new sealing washer, the old one was solid, new one had integrated rubber seal, the new one was OEM GM part.. that was also interesting. Another thing, with your mileage, and number of oil changes, residual on the filter drain spout could be leaving some oil behind. It's hard to get in there and wipe down that spout. You aren't seeing any oil use when you check oil level, correct?​

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Can't see anything on the video.. however found a leak on my wife's car when doing my first oil change... Drain plug was not on tight.. so much for GM service. I only removed the plug since I had a new sealing washer, the old one was solid, new one had integrated rubber seal, the new one was OEM GM part.. that was also interesting. Another thing, with your mileage, and number of oil changes, residual on the filter drain spout could be leaving some oil behind. It's hard to get in there and wipe down that spout. You aren't seeing any oil use when you check oil level, correct?​

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
It used about 1/2 quart in 12500 miles which is about what it's always done. I was wondering about the oil filter area, that's a good suggestion.

After you clean it, spray the area with any brand of aerosol athletes foot powder. The oil will leave a clear trail for you.
Good idea. I've heard of that before but had forgotten.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
It used about 1/2 quart in 12500 miles which is about what it's always done. I was wondering about the oil filter area, that's a good suggestion.
I've been fighting an oil leak on the Cobalt for a couple years now - and I'm willing to bet it's coming from the oil filter cap. I forgot to tighten it down during an oil change in '14, and it lost a quart very quickly. It's not been losing as much as of late, but it still leaks. It's the original cap (116k miles) so it's very possible that it not being tightened down and heat-cycled warped it or something like that.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
I noticed a decent amount of oily accumulation on the bottom of my Diesel (about 70,000 miles) last oil change, but didn't have time to investigate further. I also don't have anything hitting the ground. The accumulation is near where the engine and transmission join up, and everything around the perimeter of the the oil pan feels dry. So, I'm guessing either rear main or transmission is leaking, since the accumulation is on the opposite end of the engine from the oil filter. I'm also getting some rough downshifts like before I switched to the AMSOil fluid, which makes me wonder if transmission is low. Once I get my Jeep back together and out of the garage (in the middle of a month-long brake, suspension, and front end overhaul on it, along with draining and replacing every fluid in it front to rear), I need to pull the Diesel in and check the trans level, pull the aero panel, and investigate the leak. I figure I've got another 30k and 18 months of powertrain warranty left, so I don't have to be in a hurry to get to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like it could be the oil cooler seals. I beleave that is the oil cooler you are looking at. If so. May as well replace the cooler while replacing the seals (its like $140 or something like that)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is the leak right above and to the sensor sticking out of the block? Don't know if that is the coolant temp sensor or oil pressure sensor. I'd pull the cover off the top of the engine and really inspect around the valve cover. I'd also really check around the oil filter assembly. And as far as the transmission lines, pretty common GM cooling line issue. Those crimps fail. My Silverado experienced that as well as my son's S10. The S10's oil cooler lines did the same thing. Thankfully they were easy to replace. All in all good info in your video. As my car racks up the miles, I'll keep an eye on the backside of the engine & trans lines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I noticed a decent amount of oily accumulation on the bottom of my Diesel (about 70,000 miles) last oil change, but didn't have time to investigate further. I also don't have anything hitting the ground. The accumulation is near where the engine and transmission join up, and everything around the perimeter of the the oil pan feels dry. So, I'm guessing either rear main or transmission is leaking, since the accumulation is on the opposite end of the engine from the oil filter. I'm also getting some rough downshifts like before I switched to the AMSOil fluid, which makes me wonder if transmission is low.
The amsoil likely has different friction coeficent then the OE fluid, and it just took a while for the trans to relearn. I'm not a fan of "universal" ATF. that's one area where it's best to use what the manufacture Calls for.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed a decent amount of oily accumulation on the bottom of my Diesel (about 70,000 miles) last oil change, but didn't have time to investigate further. I also don't have anything hitting the ground. The accumulation is near where the engine and transmission join up, and everything around the perimeter of the the oil pan feels dry. So, I'm guessing either rear main or transmission is leaking, since the accumulation is on the opposite end of the engine from the oil filter. I'm also getting some rough downshifts like before I switched to the AMSOil fluid, which makes me wonder if transmission is low. Once I get my Jeep back together and out of the garage (in the middle of a month-long brake, suspension, and front end overhaul on it, along with draining and replacing every fluid in it front to rear), I need to pull the Diesel in and check the trans level, pull the aero panel, and investigate the leak. I figure I've got another 30k and 18 months of powertrain warranty left, so I don't have to be in a hurry to get to it.
How will you check the trans fluid level? I was thinking the best method might be to do a drain and fill, filling with the well documented amount on this forum.

Looks like it could be the oil cooler seals. I beleave that is the oil cooler you are looking at. If so. May as well replace the cooler while replacing the seals (its like $140 or something like that)
Thanks for the tip. I will take a closer look at that too.

Is the leak right above and to the sensor sticking out of the block? Don't know if that is the coolant temp sensor or oil pressure sensor. I'd pull the cover off the top of the engine and really inspect around the valve cover. I'd also really check around the oil filter assembly. And as far as the transmission lines, pretty common GM cooling line issue. Those crimps fail. My Silverado experienced that as well as my son's S10. The S10's oil cooler lines did the same thing. Thankfully they were easy to replace. All in all good info in your video. As my car racks up the miles, I'll keep an eye on the backside of the engine & trans lines.
Yes - to the right and above the sensor.

It's been pretty cold here lately so I've been putting it off for a while, but I do plan to spend some time going over the car. I think I will opt for replacing the transmission cooler lines with OEM, rather than some of the solutions I've read about. I would do a drain and refill at that point to adjust the level.

Does anybody know: How likely are the transmission cooler lines to just suddenly fail? Do they just simply leak?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
How will you check the trans fluid level? I was thinking the best method might be to do a drain and fill, filling with the well documented amount on this forum.

Thanks for the tip. I will take a closer look at that too.

Yes - to the right and above the sensor.

It's been pretty cold here lately so I've been putting it off for a while, but I do plan to spend some time going over the car. I think I will opt for replacing the transmission cooler lines with OEM, rather than some of the solutions I've read about. I would do a drain and refill at that point to adjust the level.

Does anybody know: How likely are the transmission cooler lines to just suddenly fail? Do they just simply leak?
If it is indeed the same failure mode as the Duramax trucks, they generally just weep/leak until the owner is frustrated enough to change them. I'm sure they could burst/fail but it is not something I have heard of.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Isn't there a check/sight plug in the trans? While level and running, fill it until fluid starts to come out, and that's the proper level.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,119 Posts
Isn't there a check/sight plug in the trans? While level and running, fill it until fluid starts to come out, and that's the proper level.
That's pretty much my plan. Pull it in to the garage warm and pull the check plug and fill plug. If I add fluid and nothing comes out, I'll know it was low. If I add fluid and it comes right out the check plug, I'll know it was full.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get the trans super hot, pull the small drain plug, no more than 1/2 too 3/4 of a quart should come out. If less

you know it was low.Replace plug and add 3/4 of a quart. This was told to me by a volkswagon tech.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts