Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, does anyone else's 1.4T hesitate or "pulse" in cold temperatures between 1500-2000 RPM if you're on the gas around 1/2 throttle? I like shifting low when I can, but this is annoying. Happens mostly in 3rd, 4th around town, or 2nd if I slow down and speed back up again.

I'm running Shell 93 (2 tanks now), and tried different brands as well (Costco, Sunoco are close by). Not much difference between 89 and 93 for me - it just does the same thing.

If I let it go above 2000 with my foot down in the gas, it suddenly takes off very smoothly and accelerates fine.

Hmmm...maybe I'll experiment with some copper plugs in there. Not sure if this would really make a difference. This seems more like the car constantly advancing and backing off the timing because it's knocking at low RPM and under boost.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
No noticeable hesitating in that range here, and I've been on Shell 93 since about 1000 miles. It seems like I might have noticed what you describe once or twice in the past though, but unfortunately I can't spend as much time below 2k as I'd like. In driving around MPG the other day, 50-55ish put me around 1600 or so. I'd get into a hill or curve, bury it, and besides a little turbo lag, it was smooth. Same on my drive home yesterday too, I have a stretch at 35 with hills, and it cruzes right up them in the lower range. I will pay closer attention this afternoon though.

I have noticed it wanting to surge a little when cold recently, like when sitting at a stop light. Did it yesterday afternoon when I left. Once it warms up, it isn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Can't say I've noticed any lagging using Phillips or Speedway 87 since day one. FWIW, right now it's +2 in Chicago and just finished my 36 mile drive to work.

·
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha. I guess it's harder to do that with the automatic (the torque curve is also different on the ATs).

I suppose that's another factor to mention - it usually happens more when the engine is cold (around the 1/4 mark), but it was doing it the other day when it was pulling a small hill and fully warmed up.

·
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't say I've noticed any lagging using Phillips or Speedway 87 since day one. FWIW, right now it's +2 in Chicago and just finished my 36 mile drive to work.
My car runs like a pile of garbage on 87. 89 octane offers smooth driving most of the year. I have only gone up to 93 because I didn't like how it was responding in the cold temps.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
No hesitation here when cold out, however I always find the 1.4T seems very much under control of the ECU. So when accelerating under light load sometimes a very slight hiccup. Under hard acceleration somes I feel a surge (not Turbo like-more like timing or cam change). Not a bad thing just the way it is. My Wife's 2012 2.4 powered CR-V does not do this nor does my 5.7 litre GTO.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
This could be inconsistent spark plug gaps as well. The ECU assumes all the plugs are the same gap and times fuel injection and sparks accordingly. Inconsistent gaps will result in inconsistent power output from the cylinders which the ECU is not programmed to handle. I'd verify the plugs are gapped the same. Don't switch to copper plugs. Other members have tried with lousy results.

·
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd verify the plugs are gapped the same.
.035". Gapped em myself. This isn't spark plug blow-out either. That feels different. I was one of the big contributors on that thread, remember?

Don't switch to copper plugs. Other members have tried with lousy results.
They have?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Since you said it happens when the car is not fully warmed up, I wonder if it has something to do with how the ECU is tuning the car? More specifically it may be warmed enough the ECU thinks it can get away with timing/fuel curve the normally hot engine can use. On the flip side it may be the car is still cold enough to be dumping in a ton of fuel & at those low RPM/high load conditions cause the ECU to have to make a quick change.

I don't know what your outside temps are today/lately but I would suspect if driving easy in town with the stock intake the incoming air temps are warmer than when you step on it. The stock intake in the upper grill might get hot air but this area also gets cool air too, the amount of suction created when you open the throttle more may be sucking in more cold air or more specifically a much different temp of air causing the ECU to quickly make a change.

·
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you said it happens when the car is not fully warmed up, I wonder if it has something to do with how the ECU is tuning the car? More specifically it may be warmed enough the ECU thinks it can get away with timing/fuel curve the normally hot engine can use. On the flip side it may be the car is still cold enough to be dumping in a ton of fuel & at those low RPM/high load conditions cause the ECU to have to make a quick change.

I don't know what your outside temps are today/lately but I would suspect if driving easy in town with the stock intake the incoming air temps are warmer than when you step on it. The stock intake in the upper grill might get hot air but this area also gets cool air too, the amount of suction created when you open the throttle more may be sucking in more cold air or more specifically a much different temp of air causing the ECU to quickly make a change.
Upper 20s - mid 30s when I notice it.

That's good thinking. While it may have made a performance difference in the summer for the better, I have the intake resonator ducting removed. I've also thought about the idea of putting it back in for the winter. I might go do that and see how it runs later on today. I've got some errands to do in heavy traffic later.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
First you dont say if your tuned or not? There is a reprogram for hesitation cold.I know its for the auto cars for sure.I would think it would also apply to manuals.What i did was reprogram my car with the latest GM software Than Brian (Vtuner) Tuned my program as Stage 0.This way we worked off the latest GM software which also will turn the fan on engine off to cool the turbo under hot conditions.My point being have your car updated with the latest GM program for it.Most likely that will cure your problem

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
I know what you're talking about, as I feel it too. However, I only feel it when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, its normal. It also doesn't have anything to do with octane.

I have a big suspicion this has to do with timing. When I tuned the L67, I noticed the PCM ignored the knock sensor while the engine coolant temp was below a certain temperature. If I recall, it pulled quite a bit of timing. I don't recall the reason for it, but I'd be willing to bet the exact same thing is happening here, only it might be pulling boost instead of timing, or both.

·
17,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First you dont say if your tuned or not? There is a reprogram for hesitation cold.I know its for the auto cars for sure.I would think it would also apply to manuals.What i did was reprogram my car with the latest GM software Than Brian (Vtuner) Tuned my program as Stage 0.This way we worked off the latest GM software which also will turn the fan on engine off to cool the turbo under hot conditions.My point being have your car updated with the latest GM program for it.Most likely that will cure your problem
Its untuned. That's awesome, could you give me a TSB or SW number so they'll know what I'm talking about at the dealer.

XR, that's what I suspect as well. It feels exactly like its retarding and advancing the timing again and again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What you need to do is tell them it Hesitates when cold.There is no bulletin the first thing they should do after a scan test is check the programing.When they do it will tell them if it has the most recent program release.And it will also tell them what the latest program has for updates.In my case when i did mine it said the update addressed a cold hesitation condition.I can check your programing with your VIN number and tell you if yours has the latest programing.I always at any time of the day have access to GMs main frame computer

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
What you need to do is tell them it Hesitates when cold.There is no bulletin the first thing they should do after a scan test is check the programing.When they do it will tell them if it has the most recent program release.And it will also tell them what the latest program has for updates.In my case when i did mine it said the update addressed a cold hesitation condition.I can check your programing with your VIN number and tell you if yours has the latest programing.I always at any time of the day have access to GMs main frame computer
Can you check mine as well?

- DROID RAZR MAXX.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
.035". Gapped em myself. This isn't spark plug blow-out either. That feels different. I was one of the big contributors on that thread, remember?
Whoops. :uhh: Teaches me to post without rechecking older threads.

They have?
Same error - going back and rereading the spark plug thread it's apparently Platinum plugs to avoid. Not Copper.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Check mine also .please.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I can check later today if i know VINs

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Guys, intercooler, remember? Cold outside air temperature really doesn't matter if the intercooler's heatsoaked and warming the air up to 70-80*F.

I had a surge right over 2000 RPM in 4th while climbing hills. Trifecta's tune took care of that issue. Heck, that was one of the issues that got me to get the tune in the first place!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts