Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 1277 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I've got my original plugs gapped to .038" with my resistors bypassed and so far everything is good. If I go with the coppers I'll toss them in at that same wide gap and report how she goes.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Ok I went to the parts store tonight and picked up the plugs. They were $2.59/plug from Advance Auto Parts. Just out of curiosity I checked the gaps on them and they are all gapped at 0.35 in the box. I'm going to knock it down to 0.30 before I install them in my Cruze. I am curious to see how this works out also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ok I went to the parts store tonight and picked up the plugs. They were $2.59/plug from Advance Auto Parts. Just out of curiosity I checked the gaps on them and they are all gapped at 0.35 in the box. I'm going to knock it down to 0.30 before I install them in my Cruze. I am curious to see how this works out also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Cool - let us know how they work out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Searching around for plug info, I found this Amazon listing for an iridium BKR8EIX, basically an iridium tip version of the colder 8 heat range BKR8E-11 plug I referenced above. Check out the first review:

NGK BKR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive

That guy had NGK platinum 7's in his naturally aspirated S2000 from the factory, and the only noticeable improvement going to the iridium 8 was no more timing pull at lower RPM. His car is supercharged, and a quick Google search shows that most S2000 superchargers are centrifugal superchargers which make little to no boost at low RPM.

Unless there's some tuning issue where they had to add timing at low RPM when tuning for the blower, it looks to me like even a stock S2000 may have benefitted from this colder plug. This, of course, is all based on reading between the lines of a short Amazon review... not much credibility. But, in an optimistic sense it would look good for trying the colder plug in our boosted 1.4's.

All else remaining equal, a colder plug may foul easier. Still might be worth a try...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Searching around for plug info, I found this Amazon listing for an iridium BKR8EIX, basically an iridium tip version of the colder 8 heat range BKR8E-11 plug I referenced above. Check out the first review:

NGK BKR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive

That guy had NGK platinum 7's in his naturally aspirated S2000 from the factory, and the only noticeable improvement going to the iridium 8 was no more timing pull at lower RPM. His car is supercharged, and a quick Google search shows that most S2000 superchargers are centrifugal superchargers which make little to no boost at low RPM.

Unless there's some tuning issue where they had to add timing at low RPM when tuning for the blower, it looks to me like even a stock S2000 may have benefitted from this colder plug. This, of course, is all based on reading between the lines of a short Amazon review... not much credibility. But, in an optimistic sense it would look good for trying the colder plug in our boosted 1.4's.

All else remaining equal, a colder plug may foul easier. Still might be worth a try...
I'm actually suprised those who are tuned aren't running 1 step colder plugs... I ran colder coppers in my cobalt, supercharged corolla and built n/a focus.. They would last about 10 k but that meant swapping them once a year at the time.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm actually suprised those who are tuned aren't running 1 step colder plugs... I ran colder coppers in my cobalt, supercharged corolla and built n/a focus.. They would last about 10 k but that meant swapping them once a year at the time.
Yes - I did the same with my turbocharged, tuned Volvo to alleviate a stumble @ high RPM when the boost hit full-force.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Im going to try some copper ones out which would y'all recommend me to try.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Well I called my local parts place and they stock the BKR7E for $2.78/ea, but that's too cheap.

I asked about the BKR8E and BKR8E-11 and they couldn't find it in their system. Interesting... They can get the BKR8EIX iridium plug for $11.00/ea, but that's too expensive.

Googling the BKR8E it seems it was used in the Honda XR650R dirt bike until the 2007 model year. Hmmm... called my local Honda Powersports dealer and they can order the plugs for me from Honda for $4.00/ea, that's just right. :)

So I'm going to pick up a set of Honda dirt bike plugs for my Cruze turbo next week, gap them to some crazy spec that will never work, drive so easy they will never get up to proper temperature, and try to set GOLD Hypercruzer status before they foul up. That sounds like just the right amount of dumb. Wish me luck.

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Im going to try some copper ones out which would y'all recommend me to try.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.
The Cruze originally came with NGK's heat range "6" (a hotter plug). They moved it up to the 7 in 2012, according to a link Blue Angel posted earlier.

I *think* the 7 would be fine with a tune with a copper plug (or it would be nice to have someone that is tuned to test - maybe see what Titan has to say)...or an 8 with the iridium plug since the 7-IX's perform like crap.

Comparing heat ranges between different brands of plugs is a little more difficult. There are charts for it, but they don't translate 100% to the same plug.

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Blue Angel said:
So I'm going to pick up a set of Honda dirt bike plugs for my Cruze turbo next week, gap them to some crazy spec that will never work, drive so easy they will never get up to proper temperature, and try to set GOLD Hypercruzer status before they foul up. That sounds like just the right amount of dumb. Wish me luck.
I remember ordering light bulbs for a non-Honda vehicle through their dealers too for about 1/3 the cost.

LOL, good luck with that. Run em up to redline before you fill up and see how they do.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Yea those charts confused me lol I will test I'm going to datalog tonight with my stock plugs gapped at. 030 and then I have order the same plug just copper and I will gap to. 030 and log again.

Titan I need a new datalog veiw program that your created.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
They sent me Autolite 3923 are those correct sorry I'm mlnot at a pc.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I think those arent for a old ford pick up truck. That plug is real popular in dodge dakotas. Iirc they are a heat 6 or 7. My build date is 9/11 but its considered a 2012 so i wonder what heat range i have.
10/11 here with the 7's.

H3ll, those translate to a "5" heat range with NGK.

Go to a NAPA - they should have them.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Ok so way bad lol ill send em back. So what part number should I get can't see thay picture

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i am tuned and are looking to take out the stock plugs...what what ones should i put back in to try this time

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
41 - 60 of 1277 Posts