Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1201 - 1220 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keeping this in mind. I've had my 2012 Cruze LT for about 3 weeks, and I've noticed the sluggish starts and occasional hesitations in the first couple of gears. I live in AZ, and I wasn't aware of the octane sensitivities, so I think I'm going to start by running a few tanks with 91 ocatane and see if that makes any difference first. Once I know whether or not that seems to matter, I'll consider attempting this change next. I'm a computer engineer, so relatively capable, but only have experience doing rudimentary auto work so far, mostly electrical. I've changed and gapped plugs on my lawn mowers before, but I assume this is considerably different.
eh ive been running 91 shell vpower in AZ, thing still pulls timing, its not much, and its not a huge deal, but im thinking of filling up with 87 next tank just to see if i can notice the difference, because i can certainly notice the price at the pump sort of negating the MPG increases vs my old car. I put 91 in right off the bat so im curious if it actually drives "bad" on 87 when its stupid hot out.

I honestly dont think anything is going to matter when its 110-115 out.

Ive heard theres a place called the thumb in scottsdale that has brisket sandwiches and good food and also 95 octane and its possibly ethanol free (though i think the turbo would like ethanol in high heat?) havent made the drive there yet to check it out for myself, worst case scenario id grab some food if it turns out to be standard gas and a racing gas pump with 103 (hmm could i?) i doubt the price would make it worth it though.

My car has under 2k miles on it, and ive sort of gotten use to the bouncy acceleration when its pulling timing, which oddly enough seems to happen most within the first 10-15min of driving, that or i just get use accelerating to avoid it.

Hopefully the car runs better when the temps start to drop to a reasonable 100 and below, even then the bouncy acceleration ive already gotten use to and just ignore, and its only sometimes....as long as its not damaging anything im done caring about it.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
AC Delco 41-121 fit. I'm running them now. There's also a rebate for those right now. Look them up on rockauto.com.

BKR7EIX, 8EIX, 6EIX all fit too. I had 8s for awhile, and those are just heat range numbers, those spark plugs all fit the same.

I don't know why Amazon has them not fitting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally got around to replacing my plugs today. These are the original stock plugs of my '14 LT AT, first time looked at @ 83k miles. Surprised to find they were consistently gapped still - .028 feeler just barely fit in three, and .026 was loose in the fourth.

20180818_122612.jpg

Sure enough I ripped 3 of the boots, and I didn't think I'd get the drivers' side boot out at all, but after 8 ripped pieces it finally came out. I was replacing the ignition coil anyways so no big deal other than back strain. I put in an OEM replacement AC Delco coil and BKR7Es gapped to .028. Just ran it around the block real quick; acceleration seemed much smoother, it sounds better, and the a/c wasn't as big of a drag as normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hesitation Gone ALSO!!

Went to the local dealership and had them flash the ECU. It has never been done since the car left the factory. Noticed the stumbling at ~2500 - 2800 was gone and the stumbling at 3400 to 3800 was reduced. Installed the new plugs wit gap at .26-.28 and went for another drive. WOW my Cruze is back! no hesitation, no stumbling under hard acceleration and all on a 90 degree high humidity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Went to the local dealership and had them flash the ECU. It has never been done since the car left the factory. Noticed the stumbling at ~2500 - 2800 was gone and the stumbling at 3400 to 3800 was reduced. Installed the new plugs wit gap at .26-.28 and went for another drive. WOW my Cruze is back! no hesitation, no stumbling under hard acceleration and all on a 90 degree high humidity.
Do they charge to flash the ECU? I would assume so....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought some of the NGK iridium plugs the other day being told they are the best ones to run in the car but have not put them in yet are you saying that I should exchange them and get the copper ones?
-thanks!
2013 1.4T RS cruze

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday I figured out what was wrong with mine. In my case it was temperature dependent. While the car was cold it ran great, as soon as it got to running temperature it would start missing under a load above 2,000 rpms. Turns out that there's a TSB on the plug that connects to the coil pack. But that was not the problem, the problem with mine is the O-ring on the plug. It exerts so much pressure on the plug when it expands that the connection becomes intermittent. I removed the O-ring and the car runs perfect across all temperature ranges. Yes, that simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am currently gapped at 0.30 and am going to try 0.26 - 0.28 and see how much of a difference that makes. If I can get any more hesitation gone from this engine, I am all for it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
2013 1.4 Turbo . 65000 MI . Which spark plugs do I want if I don't want to have to change or Gap plugs for a long time? I'm having a rough idle hoping it's not intake manifold check valve issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Standard starter - Sorry if you have been asked this 100x already. I made a good faith effort to read from the last page backwards to find an exact answer, but started to get dizzy after a while.

Do you have a specific plug and appropriate gap recommendation for a 2015 1.4LT with a tune (Trifecta Elite) and a few other minor performance mods? I've noticed some occasional hesitation recently and this thread has me wanting to try some new plugs. Hoping for a decent balance of performance and longevity, and have no issue changing the plugs as often as is needed.

Thanks!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,217
Standard starter - Sorry if you have been asked this 100x already. I made a good faith effort to read from the last page backwards to find an exact answer, but started to get dizzy after a while.

Do you have a specific plug and appropriate gap recommendation for a 2015 1.4LT with a tune (Trifecta Elite) and a few other minor performance mods? I've noticed some occasional hesitation recently and this thread has me wanting to try some new plugs. Hoping for a decent balance of performance and longevity, and have no issue changing the plugs as often as is needed.

Thanks!
You can use the BKR8EIX plugs. Maybe gap them a bit lower than .028.

I tried to edit the first post with general recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Has anyone tried the new NGK Ruthenium plugs available for the Cruze?

Supposedly they deliver better performance than iridium and last longer. I just saw them on Rockauto for a couple bucks more than the stock plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So i know this thread is old but has anyone ever used double iridium plugs on a 1st gen 1.4t? And if so what was your experience because it seems like since I put them in the car runs terribly and hear a ticking coming from the engine. I didnt gap them as they are fine tip and didnt want to damage them with how expensive they are. Should I attempt to gap them or just switch to a lesser quality plug? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,220
So i know this thread is old but has anyone ever used double iridium plugs on a 1st gen 1.4t? And if so what was your experience because it seems like since I put them in the car runs terribly and hear a ticking coming from the engine. I didnt gap them as they are fine tip and didnt want to damage them with how expensive they are. Should I attempt to gap them or just switch to a lesser quality plug? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
I'd swap the originals back in...or make sure the ones that you put in are tight. Shouldn't make any kind of different noise; sometimes a ticking or a squeak is from a plug that isn't tight all the way.

What IS the stock gap on them?

1201 - 1220 of 1253 Posts