Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1261 - 1277 of 1277 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Iridium:

Nickel (short life, best performance):
Recommended gap? Do you run the nickels?

·
Registered
2012 chevy cruze manual
24 Posts
Glad I found this thread a few months ago I replaced my plugs and coil. Or whatever it's called. I got curious one day and opened it back up to see what they look like. And the 2 and 3 plugs look super burnt. I'll have to throw a pic up next time I open it up. I never gapped them (rookie mistake) but I'm preparing my car for a cross country journey in a few weeks and I'll definitely buy these plugs and gap them correctly. My car always had a hesitation in 1st gear coming from a stop and if you didn't wind it up to about 2k it would bog. After doing some reading here I found out that I need a higher octane. I've been running 87 for years. So I'm going to up the octane throw some plugs on and see what happens. I'll definitely update this sorry for reviving this thread but thanks for the Info guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread should be mandatory for every new (and current) Cruze owner. So I had the same issues as originally described. This was after a top end job from an overheat (my fault). When I had gotten the car back, it had this very hesitation y'all talk about here. Since the pandemic hit, I never got around to taking it back to the mechanic that did the work (I'm a remote worker, so never left the house). Since we're starting to open back up again, I'm driving the car more....hesitation was still there....frustrated, I did the normal G searches and found this thread....saw the comments on iridium plugs....looked back at my paperwork and sure enough, the mechanic put them in there. So....bought some copper plugs.....put them in....and.....

Hesitation...GONE!

Thank you to all of you who have put input into this thread. It has saved me from selling this car. It feels like a brand new car again with 80K on her! Funny thing is now with the added take off power, I might need tires soon 🤣

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
3,907 Posts
This thread should be mandatory for every new (and current) Cruze owner. So I had the same issues as originally described. This was after a top end job from an overheat (my fault). When I had gotten the car back, it had this very hesitation y'all talk about here. Since the pandemic hit, I never got around to taking it back to the mechanic that did the work (I'm a remote worker, so never left the house). Since we're starting to open back up again, I'm driving the car more....hesitation was still there....frustrated, I did the normal G searches and found this thread....saw the comments on iridium plugs....looked back at my paperwork and sure enough, the mechanic put them in there. So....bought some copper plugs.....put them in....and.....

Hesitation...GONE!

Thank you to all of you who have put input into this thread. It has saved me from selling this car. It feels like a brand new car again with 80K on her! Funny thing is now with the added take off power, I might need tires soon 🤣
Nice, did you go with BKR7E-4644 ?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,276 Posts
I went with the basic run of the mill at Autozone. $2.79 a plug. They were gapped at 28 out of the box.
Remember that you have to re-gap periodically as the gap widens with mileage. Much more so that Iridium's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone. So I'm looking at replacing the spark plugs and came across this threat. After reading a few pages and the updated OP I took a look at the BKR7E-4644. I went onto the NGK website and inputted my cruze (2012 1.4 eco) for fitment and the result said these plugs are not compatible with my model.

When I look at the spark plug threads it seems there is a vast difference between engines and recommendations. The 1.4 non turbo model I have seems to be the anomaly. With what I have read I decided to go copper rather than iridium but am looking at the autolite ap3922 because it lists that it is compatible with my engine type... If the above BKR7E-4644 will work I will go with those. thanks!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
Hi everyone. So I'm looking at replacing the spark plugs and came across this threat. After reading a few pages and the updated OP I took a look at the BKR7E-4644. I went onto the NGK website and inputted my cruze (2012 1.4 eco) for fitment and the result said these plugs are not compatible with my model.

When I look at the spark plug threads it seems there is a vast difference between engines and recommendations. The 1.4 non turbo model I have seems to be the anomaly. With what I have read I decided to go copper rather than iridium but am looking at the autolite ap3922 because it lists that it is compatible with my engine type... If the above BKR7E-4644 will work I will go with those. thanks!
Don't use a platinum (Autolite) plug in it. They are not a fan.

Yeah, the 4644 isn't a "match" per NGKs system since it's not an OEM plug. They work fine, and so do the 8EIX if you want a longer life.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,276 Posts
Don't use a platinum (Autolite) plug in it. They are not a fan.

Yeah, the 4644 isn't a "match" per NGKs system since it's not an OEM plug. They work fine, and so do the 8EIX if you want a longer life.
I just saw a post in the 1.8 plug thread about a new NKG plug.

RUTHENIUM HX™
High-Ignitability Spark Plugs
Ruthenium HX™ brings the most advanced spark plug technology to the automotive aftermarket, delivering better efficiency and power for today’s engines.
THE NGK DIFFERENCE
  • DFE & PSPE® tip designs
  • Superior oxidation resistance
  • Advanced high-ignitability technology
  • Enhanced blistering/anti-peeling
The grammar is a bit off, but this is a decent review AFAIK.

Rectangle Font Operating system Parallel Screenshot

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Handwriting Gas Font
Liquid Product Fluid Cosmetics Material property
Font Screenshot Document Parallel Number
Font Rectangle Circle Screenshot Number
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Brand
Font Number Parallel Brand Rectangle
Font Number Screenshot Pattern
Font Material property Number Rectangle Parallel

Attachments

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
A handful of people have used those in the 1.4T and say they run great. If I had one I’d give them a try over the Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Great timing on this info for me. Recently getting misfires and am about to change out the plugs. I will give these a go if they are easy to come by at the local parts store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It makes me think that the plugs themselves ran on the hot side and were definitely causing pre-ignition when the IAT was super hot. On top of that, Chevy's stock tune is ULTRA-conservative (makes sense, for warranty reasons) in terms of cam timing and knock retard. "What was that?!? A ping?! PULL POWER NOW!". Unfortunately, while it may keep the engine very safe and Chevy out of replacing it, it makes for crap drivability since it both dumps off boost and changes the cam timing, especially on the octane they rate the Cruze to run on with the stock iridium plugs.

When I first got the Cruze, I was running regular on the wildly-out-of-spec gaps on the plugs, and it just about stalled out when taking off in the summer on a hill with the AC on. Even still, with the intake resonator and re-gapped plugs with high octane, it seemed like it struggled to get going from a stop.

If smoothness is much improved with the Trifecta tune, he essentially dialed back that sensitivity at low RPM, much in the same way that replacing knock sensors on the early Toyota 1MZ-FE yielded significant power gains (not many people were interested in tunes then - it just wasn't "easy" like it is with a laptop and OBD cable these days). I think that's what Chevy's updated tune did to my car as well - some engineer realized that they had built way too much of a precautionary buffer into the tune.
I experience that same behavior with our 2012 Cruze LTZ 1.4L in Summer. I live in Minnesota with a much colder climate.Would this setup/plug/gap work in cold climates also?
Great info by the way.

·
17,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,276 ·
I experience that same behavior with our 2012 Cruze LTZ 1.4L in Summer. I live in Minnesota with a much colder climate.Would this setup/plug/gap work in cold climates also?
Great info by the way.
Yes

The new recommendation seems to be using the Ruthenium HX plugs over the short-life nickel ones recommended here.

1261 - 1277 of 1277 Posts