Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Hey! Just got my 2014 Cruze! Mod Plans

1692 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Brian.C
2014 Cruze LT RS AT. I've had it for a week now. I got the tint done a couple days ago. I'm in Florida so the tint was super important! This is going to be my daily but it needs more pep. I want it to drive like it should, ya know?
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

In a few weeks I will start ordering things. I just wanted some opinions to make sure I'm on the right track. I've got a short term plan going.

1. Tint.---We burn even with the AC full blast without tint. (Done)
2. Spectre Air Intake.---May still go for K&N but Spectre seems to have good reviews.
3. BNR Tune.---A tune seems like the most important thing to do on these cars. BNR for the ability to retune after more bolt ons.
4. ZZP Downpipe and Catted Midpipe.---Need to breathe right? I'll keep the rest of the stock exhaust for now. I don't want loud.
5. Another tune because of the downpipe and midpipe.

I'll have up to here done in hopefully 2 months or so. As far as performance goes this might be it for a while. Anything else that goes along with these things? That would help with the specific things I've planned?

6. Some cosmetics. You know, the works. Chrome handles. Headlights. Chrome pillar posts maybe. Of course wheels. I'm not a fan of basic factory rims. Sometimes they are nice but these are just basic to me. Maybe front fender stripes. These in no particular order.

That's it for now. Glad to be here. Super glad I found cruzetalk! So much info and like-minded people.
Reactions: Cruze CTRL
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice looking ride. And I like your plan, except...

Spectre, sure if you like chasing a check engine light until the end of time.
K&N or ZZP intake, sure go for it. And then tune it afterward for the benefits. :cool:
I see. I hadn't read about that. And I wanted the ZZP Air Intake but they're out of stock. It might be in stock again when I go to order it though. In a few weeks I'll go for the K&N or ZZP intake then! Thanks!

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
2014 Cruze LT RS AT. I've had it for a week now. I got the tint done a couple days ago. I'm in Florida so the tint was super important! This is going to be my daily but it needs more pep. I want it to drive like it should, ya know?
View attachment 299454
In a few weeks I will start ordering things. I just wanted some opinions to make sure I'm on the right track. I've got a short term plan going.

2. Spectre Air Intake.---May still go for K&N but Spectre seems to have good reviews.
3. BNR Tune.---A tune seems like the most important thing to do on these cars. BNR for the ability to retune after more bolt ons.
4. ZZP Downpipe and Catted Midpipe.---Need to breathe right? I'll keep the rest of the stock exhaust for now. I don't want loud.

I'll have up to here done in hopefully 2 months or so. As far as performance goes this might be it for a while. Anything else that goes along with these things? That would help with the specific things I've planned?

6. Some cosmetics. You know, the works. Chrome handles. Headlights. Chrome pillar posts maybe. Of course wheels. I'm not a fan of basic factory rims. Sometimes they are nice but these are just basic to me. Maybe front fender stripes. These in no particular order.

That's it for now. Glad to be here. Super glad I found cruzetalk! So much info and like-minded people.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

I would consider an Injen CAI instead of the SRI's you are looking at. .As for the tune, many vendors offer additional tuning, some at an additional cost and others for one overall price.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Aboard!(y)

I would consider an Injen CAI instead of the SRI's you are looking at. .As for the tune, many vendors offer additional tuning, some at an additional cost and others for one overall price.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
Oh I thought thats where I posted :p and yeah I looked at the Injen CAI. Would it make a big difference being in Florida? We regularly get to oven Temps outside. But with 90 humidity haha.

It also rains nearly every day and some places flood. I'm in the Tampa Bay area so were basically at negative sea level lol. I wouldn't want to hydrolock.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tune first because that gives you the biggest bump even without the rest of the mods. You can get retunes from most of the companies that offer Cruze tunes as you add mods.
Yeah I'll be doing the Air Intake and the Tune at the same time probably. That's why I have it on there as Number 3 because I would do it after the AI if I had it. But yeah from what I've seen the tune is really all it needs to make the car feel good performance wise.

If I don't want to spend $900-1000 on my first upgrades I'll go with the Tune first though for sure. Thank you! =)

· Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 299454

I hope you got ceramic tint.

My opinion, they say the dp adds hp but that exhaust is all rushing through a penny size hole in the manifold.. So I don't know how benifecial those are.

I would look at the coolant outlet pipe on the drivers side of the head check for leaks. Racerx makes a metal one.

Check and see if the negative cable recall has been done.

There is a recall for the steering as well if you feel it bind on a straight away.

Check and see if the turbo feed pipe has the heat shielding. Or just replace it for peace of mind.

Always run quality oil.

Replace the coolant over flow tank with the dorman tank.

Pull your cat off and check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

Install a aftermarket waste gate actuator.

Check the orange nipple in the intake and see if that is there, and check the valve cover diaphragm see if that sucks air.

Install a e 85 flex sensor if you have E85 in your area.

If you get it tuned with the spectre intake you shouldn't get a CEL.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you got ceramic tint.

My opinion, they say the dp adds hp but that exhaust is all rushing through a penny size hole in the manifold.. So I don't know how benifecial those are.

I would look at the coolant outlet pipe on the drivers side of the head check for leaks. Racerx makes a metal one.

Check and see if the negative cable recall has been done.

There is a recall for the steering as well if you feel it bind on a straight away.

Check and see if the turbo feed pipe has the heat shielding. Or just replace it for peace of mind.

Always run quality oil.

Replace the coolant over flow tank with the dorman tank.

Pull your cat off and check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

Install a aftermarket waste gate actuator.

Check the orange nipple in the intake and see if that is there, and check the valve cover diaphragm see if that sucks air.

Install a e 85 flex sensor if you have E85 in your area.

If you get it tuned with the spectre intake you shouldn't get a CEL.
No ceramic tint this time around. I knew that though. Not worried about it atm. I forgot about the oil. Thanks! I'm unsure what the dealership put in there. I'll check it soon and change it pretty early to make sure I've got a good full synthetic. I Should be using full synthetic right?

I have a wastegate actuator and intake manifold saved in my wishlist on ZZP. I'll look into checking on some of those other things you mentioned. And we have a lot of e85 or Flex Fuel in our area. I am still contemplating on this one.

Thanks for the insight though! I have things to do now!

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Oh I thought thats where I posted :p and yeah I looked at the Injen CAI. Would it make a big difference being in Florida? We regularly get to oven Temps outside. But with 90 humidity haha.

It also rains nearly every day and some places flood. I'm in the Tampa Bay area so were basically at negative sea level lol. I wouldn't want to hydrolock.
If the temp outside the engine bay is hot, it will be even hotter on the inside. As for the hydro lock issue:

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the temp outside the engine bay is hot, it will be even hotter on the inside. As for the hydro lock issue:

I'll look more into these. I have read quite a bit already. People still hydrolock sometimes. They are water resistant not proof is the issue. In a place where it rains over 200 days a year and floods regularly this may be an issue. And the 1-2% gain in power from 15 degrees F doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Those injen cai are about 8" above the ground yeah? With a prefilter/shield it could essentially solve the problem but again is it worth the 1% gains? and still have the fear of an oddly angled or heavy splash.

I'm definitely still looking to see if its worth it though. I would like the small gains. But I want to be safe and take care of the Cruze. Thanks mate.

What about upgraded intercooler along with SRI? and just leave the whole CAI worries behind.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
I'll look more into these. I have read quite a bit already. People still hydrolock sometimes. They are water resistant not proof is the issue. In a place where it rains over 200 days a year and floods regularly this may be an issue. And the 1-2% gain in power from 15 degrees F doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Those injen cai are about 8" above the ground yeah? With a prefilter/shield it could essentially solve the problem but again is it worth the 1% gains? and still have the fear of an oddly angled or heavy splash.

I'm definitely still looking to see if its worth it though. I would like the small gains. But I want to be safe and take care of the Cruze. Thanks mate.

What about upgraded intercooler along with SRI? and just leave the whole CAI worries behind.
The Hydroshield does need to replaced every so often so if they chose not to that may be a reason some still have issues

You would be better off forgoing an SRI altogether. The stock intake does a great job. It can be modified for free if what you want is more turbo noise.

How To Bypass the Intake Resonator

DIY Delete Air Intake Resonator (Pic heavy)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Hydroshield does need to replaced every so often so if they chose not to that may be a reason some still have issues

You would be better off forgoing SRI altogether. The stock intake does a great job. It can be modified for free if what you want is more turbo noise.

How To Bypass the Intake Resonator

DIY Delete Air Intake Resonator (Pic heavy)
Cool. Yeah I saw some posts about this. Interesting idea but I do want more performance. Loud turbo for the sake of noise defeats the purpose :p.

Like cars that have no upgrades but have mufflers and tips to make them loud. It should be loud because the car can back it up! Haha

I'll keep looking things up for now. But I think I've decided that I shouldn't do a true cai.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Cool. Yeah I saw some posts about this. Interesting idea but I do want more performance. Loud turbo for the sake of noise defeats the purpose :p.

Like cars that have no upgrades but have mufflers and tips to make them loud. It should be loud because the car can back it up! Haha

I'll keep looking things up for now. But I think I've decided that I shouldn't do a true cai.
Just so I know I tried to be clear, a short ram intake (SRI) will give you much worse performance than a cold air intake (CAI), so if you choose not to install a CAI, stick with the stock intake and bypass the resonator for the best performance.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so I know I tried to be clear, a short ram intake (SRI) will give you much worse performance than a cold air intake (CAI), so if you choose not to install a CAI, stick with the stock intake and bypass the resonator for the best performance.
Oh I got it. The Injen CAI seems like the best one performance wise then but I'm wary about the flooding. It just rained for like 4 days straight and every street and parking lot have ponds.. and this area is wealthy. The city/county takes care of the roads and drainage really well considering. I really want this option though. From what I've seen and what I want. But again the water..

I have read about the stock intake with resonator delete too. So if I went that route would I just change the filter?

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Oh I got it. The Injen CAI seems like the best one performance wise then but I'm wary about the flooding. It just rained for like 4 days straight and every street and parking lot have ponds.. and this area is wealthy. The city/county takes care of the roads and drainage really well considering. I really want this option though. From what I've seen and what I want. But again the water..

I have read about the stock intake with resonator delete too. So if I went that route would I just change the filter?
No need to do that either. If you race or want to have a track day, buy a K&N panel filter. If you leave it in long term though, you will increase the wear on your engine as it does let in more debris.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No need to do that either. If you race or want to have a track day, buy a K&N panel filter. If you leave it in long term though, you will increase the wear on your engine as it does let in more debris.
oh very cheap option. I may end up doing that. I will keep looking into the the injen cai though as I would prefer the performance boost.

Thanks a bunch!

· Registered
81 Posts
I live in HOT Kansas. I had ceramic side & back tint done in 2019 which made a huge difference, but I just had LLumar AIR 80 film applied to the inside of my windshield. WOW what a difference, as the windshield surface area is massive. The film is clear and blocks 43% of the sun's radiant heat, which is about what most non-ceramic tinted films block. Since it's ceramic, it does not block any cell signals, so your phone and/or GPS works with no issues. I have the AEM intake as I prefer a dry vs Oiled filters. May as well save and get the tune and Down pipe at the same time, no use spending that tuning $$ twice. Remember if you are looking for performance, stay away from larger heavy wheels. Lighter is faster when it comes to anything in the rotating drivetrain. Check out ZZP's tech article. I'm a huge fan of dynomax super turbo mufflers, so that's what I am running. Custom done tucked up behind the bumper. You know its there, but you can't hear me down the block. Welcome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts