Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Hey! Just got my 2014 Cruze! Mod Plans

1645 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Brian.C
2014 Cruze LT RS AT. I've had it for a week now. I got the tint done a couple days ago. I'm in Florida so the tint was super important! This is going to be my daily but it needs more pep. I want it to drive like it should, ya know?
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

In a few weeks I will start ordering things. I just wanted some opinions to make sure I'm on the right track. I've got a short term plan going.

1. Tint.---We burn even with the AC full blast without tint. (Done)
2. Spectre Air Intake.---May still go for K&N but Spectre seems to have good reviews.
3. BNR Tune.---A tune seems like the most important thing to do on these cars. BNR for the ability to retune after more bolt ons.
4. ZZP Downpipe and Catted Midpipe.---Need to breathe right? I'll keep the rest of the stock exhaust for now. I don't want loud.
5. Another tune because of the downpipe and midpipe.

I'll have up to here done in hopefully 2 months or so. As far as performance goes this might be it for a while. Anything else that goes along with these things? That would help with the specific things I've planned?

6. Some cosmetics. You know, the works. Chrome handles. Headlights. Chrome pillar posts maybe. Of course wheels. I'm not a fan of basic factory rims. Sometimes they are nice but these are just basic to me. Maybe front fender stripes. These in no particular order.

That's it for now. Glad to be here. Super glad I found cruzetalk! So much info and like-minded people.
Reactions: Cruze CTRL
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I live in HOT Kansas. I had ceramic side & back tint done in 2019 which made a huge difference, but I just had LLumar AIR 80 film applied to the inside of my windshield. WOW what a difference, as the windshield surface area is massive. The film is clear and blocks 43% of the sun's radiant heat, which is about what most non-ceramic tinted films block. Since it's ceramic, it does not block any cell signals, so your phone and/or GPS works with no issues. I have the AEM intake as I prefer a dry vs Oiled filters. May as well save and get the tune and Down pipe at the same time, no use spending that tuning $$ twice. Remember if you are looking for performance, stay away from larger heavy wheels. Lighter is faster when it comes to anything in the rotating drivetrain. Check out ZZP's tech article. I'm a huge fan of dynomax super turbo mufflers, so that's what I am running. Custom done tucked up behind the bumper. You know its there, but you can't hear me down the block. Welcome.
I will need to look up some windshield wraps before long. Ill be getting ceramic next on the rest but I'm not worried about it right now. I worked at a sign shop for years. we also did wraps. Car isn't scalding hot when I get in it anymore and it only takes like 30 seconds to cool all the way down. It's more the humidity outside at this point.

Also the ZZP cold air intake isn't out of stock any more so ill be picking that up. And the BNR tune is unlimited custom tunes. Every time I add something I just scan and send them the data to get another tune. They fine tune til you're happy. :)

Although yeah ill be doing the intake resonator delete, cai, downpipe/midpipe all at once now so ill need fewer retunes. I may not ever change the rest of the exhaust. That being said I am still looking at "quieter" but nice sounding systems. Ill check out that dynamax.

And as far as wheels go yeah lightweight. I Haven't really checked specs for any yet. But thanks for the weight reminder heh. I used to have some lightweight racing rims on my 2002 Nissan sentra spec-v. Had a family member wreck that though. So now I have a cruze! Lol

Thanks mate!

· Registered
2014 Buick Encore Leather Ecotec 1.4 Turbo AWD
54 Posts
The car already has a CAI. Most newer vehicles do.

· Registered
54 Posts
Yup. The stock cai leaves a lot to be desired. Going zzp though. And doing reso intake delete when the new one goes in. Was about to just do the delete but the ZZP back in stock. :)
What is left to be desired ?

Reactions: Thebigzeus

· Registered
54 Posts
Plenty of flow for the stock turbos.

Reactions: Thebigzeus

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Plenty of flow for the stock turbos.
Thats not the point lol. More flow. Thats the point. Increase flow and increase power. Makes the intake able to be heard. Also makes the turbo spool noise louder as well as the bov. But the increased flow is going to help overall and more with the exhaust additions. Make the car breathe better as a whole.

· Registered
81 Posts
Although yeah ill be doing the intake resonator delete, cai, downpipe/midpipe all at once now so ill need fewer retunes. I may not ever change the rest of the exhaust. That being said I am still looking at "quieter" but nice sounding systems. Ill check out that dynamax.

Thanks mate!
Here's my setup. I originally had a straight thru flowing Magnaflow(1st pic), but once I installed the down and mid pipe, the muffler had a nasty drone over 74 mph at cruise or under any load over 70 mph. I got real annoying even after applying sound deadener, so I went to the Dynomax Super Turbo PN 17731.(2nd pic)

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here's my setup. I originally had a straight thru flowing Magnaflow(1st pic), but once I installed the down and mid pipe, the muffler had a nasty drone over 74 mph at cruise or under any load over 70 mph. I got real annoying even after applying sound deadener, so I went to the Dynomax Super Turbo PN 17731.(2nd pic)

View attachment 299567
View attachment 299566
And the drone is gone with that one? I definitely don't want drone or too loud. Thats why for a while ill just be stock catback. But maybe next year or something I would go for new muffler and tip.

· Registered
81 Posts
Yes, zero drone or resonance. If I was to do it over, I would go with the offset in and offset out and have the tail pipe bent so tip was in right spot. The offset in offset out has less flow restriction that the offset in center out.

• Wow
Reactions: Cruze CTRL

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hurricane Ian will be delaying the start of the mods. We need to focus on our home and make sure we don't need to replace any major appliances or rewire the home due to constant power surges.

We had to call the Fire Department last night because there was a strong burning smell coming from one of the bedrooms. They couldn't find anything but I suspect it was a power strip that blew. We had to make sure the wires in the walls weren't getting hot.

We were far from the center of destruction but have close friends whose entire neighborhoods were demolished. Bridges to their islands are gone. If they have a home then they don't have water or power.

I will still be starting the upgrades soon-ish. But I am at least a few weeks behind schedule now. I will update here and also most likely make a new post with pictures and the such about the actual installation.

p.s. My car is filthy right now and it makes me sad lol post hurricane wash upcoming this weekend!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts