Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I just bought a new Cruze. It is a 1LT with a technology package as well as a convenience package. I haven't actually seen this particular car yet since it was traded from another dealer. However, I did test drive an equivalent 2014(different color though). I am actually picking the car up tonight.

I think the car is very good looking and drives nicely for what it is. I don't love the black color but I don't hate it either. I ended up with it as a result of a lack of inventory this late in the year.

I'm paying $16,100 before taxes and tags and I believe the MSRP is about $21,815ish. I thought that was a good price until I read someone else post that said they were getting it cheaper for the same packages. But I guess I got a good price and received all the rebates I qualify for.

However, I do have a few concerns and that is mainly from all the coolant issues I have read about both on here and on google. How likely is this to be a problem for me? I understand defects happen but I do feel as if smelling coolant inside the cabin would be unacceptable and it caused me to hesitate and almost back out from buying the vehicle when I came across the information. I hope I made the right decision buying it as I really do like everything about the car.

My last question is if I use full synthetic oil in the vehicle how many miles should I go between changes. I have always stuck with conventional oil in the past but I read somewhere that on a turbo charged engine you really should be using full synthetic.. is this true?

Andrew

P.S. Thank you to everyone for all the help in advance!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the coolant issue unless your new Cruze starts loosing coolant. For oil, you need to use either a semi-synthetic or full-synthetic Dexos 1 oil. For semi, 5 to 6,000 miles is about the maximum you can safely go. For full synthetic you can go 7,000 miles or so. Personally I use semi-synthetic and change every 5,000 miles. I also rotate my tires at the same time.

Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on your new Cruze. Automatic or Manual?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an automatic.

I've always been a fan of Pennzoil. would there full synthetic be fine? I guess I just need to read the bottle and make sure it says Dexos 1 oil?

·
10,711 Posts
Welcome to the forums, you shouldn't have coolant issues but if you so there are plenty of threads here to give you the warning signs. I ended up with black as well due to the other ECO cars were automatic trans and one was a 2012.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Welcome and congrats! When you get the car post some pictures. Sounds like you got a great deal.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi everyone!

I just bought a new Cruze. It is a 1LT with a technology package as well as a convenience package. I haven't actually seen this particular car yet since it was traded from another dealer. However, I did test drive an equivalent 2014(different color though). I am actually picking the car up tonight.

I think the car is very good looking and drives nicely for what it is. I don't love the black color but I don't hate it either. I ended up with it as a result of a lack of inventory this late in the year.

I'm paying $16,100 before taxes and tags and I believe the MSRP is about $21,815ish. I thought that was a good price until I read someone else post that said they were getting it cheaper for the same packages. But I guess I got a good price and received all the rebates I qualify for.

However, I do have a few concerns and that is mainly from all the coolant issues I have read about both on here and on google. How likely is this to be a problem for me? I understand defects happen but I do feel as if smelling coolant inside the cabin would be unacceptable and it caused me to hesitate and almost back out from buying the vehicle when I came across the information. I hope I made the right decision buying it as I really do like everything about the car.

My last question is if I use full synthetic oil in the vehicle how many miles should I go between changes. I have always stuck with conventional oil in the past but I read somewhere that on a turbo charged engine you really should be using full synthetic.. is this true?

Andrew

P.S. Thank you to everyone for all the help in advance!
Hi dreworz5,

Welcome to Cruze Talk and congratulations on your new purchase of a Cruze! We are glad to have you part of the community. You will learn a lot of insightful information from other forum members, as I already see you have. If you have any vehicle inquiries or concerns, please contact us via private message. We are here to assist!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the forums!
Just watch your coolant level, and don't worry unless you actually develop a problem. Not all do, such as mine ;) (knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Welcome!

Pennzoil Platinum is a great choice to run in your new Cruze. That oil can pretty safely be run about 7500 miles if you're getting the engine nice and hot for about 20-30 minutes each trip. I've heard that GM shortened the oil life monitor interval starting in 2013. Follow the 7500 miles or the OLM, whichever you get to first.

For oil filters, it's hard to beat the OEM AC Delco filters for price or quality. I ordered mine from RockAuto, and they were about $6 apiece after shipping.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
Welcome to CT!

think the car is very good looking and drives nicely for what it is. I don't love the black color but I don't hate it either.
You will love it in the sunlight when it's clean, and hate it 3 days after you wash it and it's filthy again. Wasn't my 1st choice either, but it's definitely grown on me a lot (the metallic paint helps).

I'm paying $16,100 before taxes and tags and I believe the MSRP is about $21,815ish.
That isn't bad at all. I paid $17k for my 2012 before adding tint/fogs. Then again, it wasn't incentive time and they were still trying to get rid of the '11's on the lot.

As said above, 7500-8000 or about 20% on the OLM is a good change interval.

How likely is this to be a problem for me? I understand defects happen but I do feel as if smelling coolant inside the cabin would be unacceptable and it caused me to hesitate and almost back out from buying the vehicle when I came across the information. I hope I made the right decision buying it as I really do like everything about the car.
If the coolant looks a bit low on delivery in the tank, my advice is to leave it and just keep an eye on it from time to time. My car (and others here) started smelling bad when they raised it to the "proper" level, and it's a huge hassle to get dealers to properly fix the expansion tank/cap (or even get them to find one that works properly).

Enjoy your new car!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forums! Best of luck with your new car!

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to CT!

If the coolant looks a bit low on delivery in the tank, my advice is to leave it and just keep an eye on it from time to time. My car (and others here) started smelling bad when they raised it to the "proper" level, and it's a huge hassle to get dealers to properly fix the expansion tank/cap (or even get them to find one that works properly).

Enjoy your new car!
The coolant level looks to be right at the "proper" level which actually surprises me base on all that I have read

·
10,711 Posts
Was your 1LT auto or manual? If manual, have the dealer run your vin against Recall #13276 so you don't have to make 2 extra trips if it falls into that category. My dealership had no clue of this recall till I told them about it from hearing it here and getting the letter in the mail.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Then have your dealer run it against the brake system recall. Basically, ask your dealer (or Chevy Customer Care her on CruzeTalk) to run your VIN against GM's recall database.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Fell free to send me your VIN in a private message and I can let you know if your Cruze is affected by the recall.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far the car has been great with only 250 miles on it. Only complaints are i noticed my tires were all at 30-31 PSI when i bought it, the door says 35psi is that correct? Anway, I fixed that last night(just surprised the dealership didn't do it). Also, my car did not include an owners manual (should i call the dealership?) and my car has a large deep scratch inside the drivers door.. which isn't the end of the world because of it location inside the door but visible clearly when open... it's just you hate to see it after you just spent all that money on a brand new car. do you think the dealership will fix it? I'm pretty certain it had to be there when i bought it but being it was dark outside when i picked the car up i guess I'll never truly no for sure.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
I run my tires @ 38. I feel it provides a nice compromise between handling and ride comfort. Anything more, it's quite stiff; 33-35 is a little squishy.

The scratch and owners manual - yeah, contact your salesman and let him know. They should take care of you; many of us had little defects that were [for the most part] taken care of by Chevy after picking up the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts