Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 diesel Cruze has a fumes smell when u drive it,it smells like DEF fluid or exhaust it starts off slow then u really notice it but what I have bee able to figure out is that if shut off the outside air from coming in thru the a/c it eliminates it has anyone else had an of the same problems
Thanks
Manny

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the DEF smell, I don't have a diesel so I'm not much help but I'm sure one of the diesel guys will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
Check for broken bolts at the exhaust pipe and SCR catalyst underneath the car. A number of CTDs have had this happen.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My 2014 diesel Cruze has a fumes smell when u drive it,it smells like DEF fluid or exhaust it starts off slow then u really notice it but what I have bee able to figure out is that if shut off the outside air from coming in thru the a/c it eliminates it has anyone else had an of the same problems
Thanks
Manny
Are you sure you're not just smelling the regen? Does it smell a bit like burning plastic, and only happens periodically?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I only notice an exhaust smell inside if I remote start my car in the morning. Once I'm driving I don't notice it anymore. It seems it's likely an exhaust leak somewhere.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I only notice an exhaust smell inside if I remote start my car in the morning. Once I'm driving I don't notice it anymore. It seems it's likely an exhaust leak somewhere.
Put the car on a lift and inspect the exhaust system for a leak then. Start with the parts Tomko identified.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thanks
Manny
Hi Manny,

We regret to hear you are experiencing this concern with your Cruze. If you are ever interested in going to the dealership please send us a private message. We are always happy to help if you have any questions!

Best,

Cristina
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I've taken my car to Starling Chevrolet in Orlando I dropped it off Friday and have not heard anything since I had the service advisor get in it and he definitely noticed it was very strong almost to the point of nauseating

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,228 Posts
Pretty sure DEF and exhaust have different scents. At least, I've never smelled ammonia-scented exhaust. And you really won't smell DEF much more than right when you crack open a jug of it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Post-SCR exhaust has almost no smell. If it's not the regen smell, then it's an exhaust leak in the engine compartment, before the emissions stuff has a chance to scrub it.

I have a vague recollection of someone else on this forum posting about it, and I can't remember what the issue was. Maybe EGR, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
I had a smelling salts kind of smell coming off mine ocassionaly. Haven't had it since the exhaust at SCR catalyst bolts were replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts