Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Chris Tobin, I am an editor and photographer for automotive magazines and currently the Editor of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide as well as a regular monthly contributor to Diesel World magazine. I reviewed the Cruze Diesel for DW back in 2014 when it was first available in GMs media fleet. I really liked the car and if it wasn't for not wanting to have a car payment again I would have bought one right then and there. I currently drive a 2006 VW Jetta TDI as our daily driver but am seriously considering allowing myself to fall under a car payment again and looking to replace the TDI with a Cruze Diesel. I am also considering a BMW 335d which for a high mile 2009-2011 models are falling in a similar price range as a low mile 2014-2015 Cruze Diesel. Whatever I decide, it will have a diesel engine under the hood!

I also have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 500+ HP Duramax under the one-piece fiberglass hood that we are building for future off road racing and well as other project vehicles in the family.

I am looking for more insight on the Cruze and the diesel specifically as far as performance upgrades and what you guys would want to see as far as magazine coverage of the car, since if I do buy one I would be doing upgrade articles on it in the magazine. I am familiar with the guys at Fleece Performance Engineering (they did most of the engine work on my Duramax truck and they are great guys) and would likely be doing their tuning for the Cruze right away, but what else is available?

Let me know what you guys think and what you would like to see.

Take care guys, maybe I'll be joining the Cruze ranks soon...

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Welcome. And sorry if I come on as a heavy. But a good friend of mine writes for Road & Track. He does not speak well of the professionalism of auto journalists. Regular, ongoing and substantive ethical lapses he tells me.

Is your TDI one of the ones running a defeat device?

I'm also curious why you are expressing an interest in a vehicle that is no longer in production?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good group if people in here. I just sold my 14 cruze do to bigger family but this forum is way better then the outback forum as far as friendly people go

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. And sorry if I come on as a heavy. But a good friend of mine writes for Road & Track. He does not speak well of the professionalism of auto journalists. Regular, ongoing and substantive ethical lapses he tells me.

Is your TDI one of the ones running a defeat device?

I'm also curious why you are expressing an interest in a vehicle that is no longer in production?
Bummer that your friend would speak ill of those in his profession... odd to say the least. I have never had my professionalism called into question, but I do not do near as many new car test/reviews as a mag like Road & Track. At both Diesel World and Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide we do a ton of tech/installation articles showing our readers ways they can improve the performance of their trucks and cars as well as feature articles on modified trucks and event coverage of the major diesel events that take place around the country. So maybe as an enthusiast magazine we are different enough from the likes of Road & Track, I would compare us more to a title like Hot Rod or Car Craft for diesel enthusiasts.

No my Jetta TDI is a 2006 (and my son's is a 2002) and those models are not known to have defeat device tuning and do not have DPFs like the newer Common Rail TDIs that VW tuned to cheat the test.

Price is one of the reasons why I am interested in out of production diesel vehicles (both the 335d and Cruze Diesel are both out of production as is my current 2006 VW TDI), contrary to the expectations of many, most automotive journalists (especially freelance ones like me) do not make a ton of money and my budget does not allow for a new model car or truck. But, there are also advantages to older models in that more owners are looking to upgrade them, and therefore there is interest from a magazine point of view in running tech articles performing performance upgrades on them. Whichever car I decide on will not remain stock for long, so having aftermarket performance items available is a big plus and part of my intent with my original post, to see what's out there for the Diesel Cruze.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Well, welcome aboard young man.

There's a whole word of diesel stuff here in the diesel forums. Sit down, take your shoes off and start reading.

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome,

Personally, I love my cruze and I would trade it for the diesel version ANY DAY.
At the time, the diesel seemed too expensive, but I can definitely see the value in a used one now.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I was going to suggest that I'd love to see a Cruze with a Duramax swap but then you mentioned the limited budget which I too suffer from. I would do outrageous modifications if I had an unlimited supply of money. Since money is limited though I'd recommend looking into the trifecta tune for the Cruze diesel. The customer support has recently been questionable, the out of the box tune should work just fine on stock vehicles. Keep us updated on your decision between the Beemer and the Cruze!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum! I was going to suggest that I'd love to see a Cruze with a Duramax swap but then you mentioned the limited budget which I too suffer from. I would do outrageous modifications if I had an unlimited supply of money. Since money is limited though I'd recommend looking into the trifecta tune for the Cruze diesel. The customer support has recently been questionable, the out of the box tune should work just fine on stock vehicles. Keep us updated on your decision between the Beemer and the Cruze!
I want to swap a 6.6L Duramax into my 2000 Tahoe Limited and selling my VW TDI may help fund that, but having a small sedan still might be a good thing...

If we get a Cruze Diesel I will likely go with the Fleece EFILive tunes as I am VERY happy with their work on my Duramax truck and they are a big supporter in the performance aftermarket diesel industry. I also have a great relationship with both of the Fleece brothers as well as the rest of their staff.

I'll update when/if I get one.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the Welcome guys!

Reactions: sparkman

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,915 Posts
Welcome aboard.

We've had our Cruze Diesel almost two years now, and the car has been absolutely fantastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.