Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2016 Cruze and at idle I can hear a high pitch noise that seems to come from the alternator. The dealer replaced 3 alternators on it and after still complaining about the noise they put a new 2017 next to it and that one has a similar noise at idle. Their conclusion is that is normal.
I was wondering if anybody else has this problem as this is "normal". It only comes on at idle when the engine is warm.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I might have also experienced a similar noise but it stopped?

Similar Threads

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have that also at idle not really sure what it is. but it really only when the car is at full temperature and other than that noise the car is quit. Barely hear with hood closed but its there.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I bought a new 2016 Cruze and at idle I can hear a high pitch noise that seems to come from the alternator. The dealer replaced 3 alternators on it and after still complaining about the noise they put a new 2017 next to it and that one has a similar noise at idle. Their conclusion is that is normal.
I was wondering if anybody else has this problem as this is "normal". It only comes on at idle when the engine is warm.
Hello Zoltan,

We’re sorry to hear you’re still having concerns with your alternator. We would be happy to connect with your dealer for clarification and work toward a potential solution. We’re available via private message and will need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealer name to get started.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep that's it. Kind of wonder what it really is. I believe he cruze I had for a rental for when my car was in for recall had the same sound

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Yep that's it. Kind of wonder what it really is. I believe he cruze I had for a rental for when my car was in for recall had the same sound
Just the turbo. Bump the gas a little bit. Once the cam timing changes over to normal, you hear it more than on a cold start. There's not a super restrictive intake box on these ones - the other end of the turbo is basically a cone filter inside the box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have that sound... they too said it was normal... so I guess it is. Though I am now hesitant to trust this dealership with recent experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have that sound... they too said it was normal... so I guess it is. Though I am now hesitant to trust this dealership with recent experiences.
That's because it is normal. Your dealership is correct.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to be sure I wonder if we can have 20 Chevy owners, or more, with Cruze gen 2 listen to their engines when they are hot and idling. Just open the hood and listen on the right side of the engine where the belt is. I hear the high pitch noise toward the alternator. Also the sound can be heard with the hood down too. I tried with my 6 years old Hyundai Sonata and no such sound exists around that engine. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was just thinking how the Recalls are born. First every complaint is considered normal and people that are complaining are ignored. Then when enough people complain the manufacturers are forced to do something about it because it hurts their business. They are not doing anything about the defects because it costs them money. Just think about Takata air bags I bet they were "normal" at one point and quite a few had to get hurt before is was not longer normal to be hit by shrapnel.

·
17,486 Posts
Just to be sure I wonder if we can have 20 Chevy owners, or more, with Cruze gen 2 listen to their engines when they are hot and idling. Just open the hood and listen on the right side of the engine where the belt is. I hear the high pitch noise toward the alternator. Also the sound can be heard with the hood down too. I tried with my 6 years old Hyundai Sonata and no such sound exists around that engine. Thanks in advance.
Is the Sonata N/A or turbo? Most turbo cars have quite a bit of intake baffling.

It's 100% normal. I've driven 3 2016 Cruzes including my own, and they all do it.

·
17,486 Posts
The one thing that I have heard, in warmer weather, is a chirp from the serpentine belt on all the 2016s as well. That's gone away with winter, and I'll see if it returns this summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took a picture of the alternator and as you can see the holes on the 2 mating surfaces are way of and the alternator may be tilted down a couple of degrees. Maybe that causes a pulley miss alignment and the noise.

Auto part Engine Suspension Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
alternators can make more noise when they are working more, getting louder as they max out, audible at certain mid-range or low rpms, probably much louder but not audible above other engine noise when they are overdriven at high rpm.

significant power is wasted at high rpms via alternator/belt, so power-hungry drivers or racers can use "underdrive gear" to intentionally lower the alternator rpm.

the 1.6L diesels make a cool turbo noise at low rpm - can hear it reflected against walls - sounds like a junior bigrig - awesome..

I also have a 1.4L sonic and the motor is not what I would consider quiet, so maybe I will listen for cool turbo noises or annoying alternator noises next time I drive it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Zoltan,

We’re sorry to hear you’re still having concerns with your alternator. We would be happy to connect with your dealer for clarification and work toward a potential solution. We’re available via private message and will need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealer name to get started.

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same on my chevy sonic RS.after trouble shooting i noticed that something is wrong with the breathing system and causes pressure on the oil seals where the sound comes from.there is videos which guide you how to check the non return valve on the intake manifold and the valve on the tappet cover.hope that answers your question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts