Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have my A/C on and car is in drive, I can hear a high pitched chirping noise. When I turn off the a/c , 95% it goes away. Also when i put back in park it sometimes goes away? Last oil change i asked chevy to look into it but stated could not duplicate at that time. Its doing it again and my Audi techs stated it may be the a/c compressor?

·
Administrator
25,036 Posts
A/C compressor or pulley. We've had a few aux belt pulleys fail with this symptom.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
When I have my A/C on and car is in drive, I can hear a high pitched chirping noise. When I turn off the a/c , 95% it goes away. Also when i put back in park it sometimes goes away? Last oil change i asked chevy to look into it but stated could not duplicate at that time. Its doing it again and my Audi techs stated it may be the a/c compressor?
Hello elykoj,

I see you're having a concern with your A/C and I apologize for any trouble you've experienced with your Chevrolet Cruze. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information and preferred dealership in a private message. We'd be more than happy to look into this situation further and contact the dealership on your behalf for further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you ever get this fixed? My 2014 is doing the same thing right now. The dealership started out by changing the belt. The noise didn't go away. Then they changed the A/C compressor. It still didn't go away. The service manager said he was going to look into it and get back to me. He's away on vacation now but I am going to drop in and see him when he's back to see if he's found anything out.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
There are a few known causes of chirp that might be worth looking into. I'm not sure why it would only come with the A/C on, but from your comments, it's clear it doesn't go away completely with the A/C off, so it's worth looking at.

- Bad PCV valve that causes the crankcase to over pressurize and blowing out the crankcase seals. A quick check is to pull the dipstick - if that's it, it will go away when the dipstick is removed.

- Loose sparkplugs. Pull the top and retorque.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2014 Cruze with 8,200 miles on it and it's doing the same thing. It's becoming embarrassing to own a new Chevrolet! The chirping will almost completely go away if I turn off the A/C. What's the fix?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I own a 2014 Cruze with 8,200 miles on it and it's doing the same thing. It's becoming embarrassing to own a new Chevrolet! The chirping will almost completely go away if I turn off the A/C. What's the fix?
Per your post, the compressor gets replaced…..not a serviceable unit.

Rob

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Most likely caused by the crank seal. This is a common issue with the 1.4 turbo and IIRC there is a service bulliten for it. My wife's Sonic had the same issue and had the crank seal replaced about 2k miles ago. Coworker just told me tonight at work that his Cruze was doing it and the dealer replaced the ac compressor, tensioner, idler, belt before eventually figuring out it was the crank seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solution to chirping sound

Leave it to a ford technician to figure this one out. After seeing failures to solve chirping sound after replacing water pump, pcv valve, crank seal, valve cover, releasing air from system, etc.. so on. The final diagnosis of this issue that I found PERMANTELY fixed the issue was during factory assembly of the front cover, fresh rtv sealent slowly squeezes its way up into the surface of the valve cover, thus causing a no longer level surface for the valve cover to be placed on, thus letting air squeeze out. creating this "chirping" sound from the top of the engine. -Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts