Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just bought my 2011 Eco MT with about 84k miles. The car is in great shape.

The only concern I have is a very high pitched whining noise coming from the front end when I'm rolling. It does it in every gear as well as neutral and is speed dependent.

It's not too noticeable, only if I have the windows up, radio off, etc. I don't believe it could be a trans issue due to the fact it does it constantly, regardless of gear, clutch, neutral. Could it be a wheel bearing in the early stages of going/ CV axle issue? Anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Speed dependent regardless of what gear it is in points right at a wheel bearing based on your description.......I interpet this as a very low volume sound.....high pitch, low volume.

If it is high pitch, fairly high volume, the potential of a stone caught between rotor and dust shield presents itself.

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
To check if you think it may be a wheel bearing drive it and swerve side to side and see if on one side it gets worse then the other. This loads the corners ie if you swerve left it loads the right front and right is left front.

Sounds more like the bearings in the trans tho tbh. My brothers 12 eco did the same thing your describing. I noticed it one night while driving it. He took it in and had a new trans 2 days later...

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
speed dependent.
By that I assume you mean dependent on the speed of the car, not the engine RPM. I'd agree with the others that it's wheel-based.

Does it change if you touch the brakes? Not enough to transfer weight to the front, but just enough to clamp the rotors?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By that I assume you mean dependent on the speed of the car, not the engine RPM. I'd agree with the others that it's wheel-based.

Does it change if you touch the brakes? Not enough to transfer weight to the front, but just enough to clamp the rotors?

Yes, it's car speed. And no, brake application doesn't seem to matter which makes me think it's got to be something with the wheel bearing. In cases I've experienced with past vehicles though, wheel bearing noise was usually a lower pitch noise.

I haven't popped the wheel off yet, but maybe I'll do that tonight to see if it's something dumb like a brake pad bracket touching the rotor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW,
I sometimes have a high pitched whine on the right side of the SRT8 and Camaro.....but only above 90mph and only when the wife is in the right seat.

Becomes more like a scream above 100.

Maybe I'll see if it is still there if I remove......the seat.

Heh heh,
Rob

This is a very easy issue to solve: turn up the radio

·
Registered
625 Posts
BTW,
I sometimes have a high pitched whine on the right side of the SRT8 and Camaro.....but only above 90mph and only when the wife is in the right seat.

Heh heh,
Rob

Ejecto seato cuz!

·
10,712 Posts
LOL! I had this happen as described. New trans was what they did under warranty.

My radio was up to 21 with USB stick and the sound could still pierce through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL! I had this happen as described. New trans was what they did under warranty.

My radio was up to 21 with USB stick and the sound could still pierce through.

Regarding the trans, I searched through a few threads and some people have a "grinding" issue. Maybe this is something similar? I know the MT fluid has never been changed, and I've read that the fluid that GM uses is junk and breaks down- I guess I could find out, I work at GM haha :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
My car is going into the shop for the same issue. I have a low grade whining coming out of the car only while it is moving and in gear. We'll see what they say and I'll report back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car is going into the shop for the same issue. I have a low grade whining coming out of the car only while it is moving and in gear. We'll see what they say and I'll report back.
Sounds good, does it sound anything like this? It's loudest at 1 min, sorry my camera isn't that great. And mine does it regardless of gear, clutch, etc. as long as it is rolling. It's going in tomorrow morning, luckily I'm covered by the warranty as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovDocG_D28&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds good, does it sound anything like this? It's loudest at 1 min, sorry my camera isn't that great. And mine does it regardless of gear, clutch, etc. as long as it is rolling. It's going in tomorrow morning, luckily I'm covered by the warranty as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovDocG_D28&feature=youtu.be

The whining from my car sounds pretty similar to that, I just took a mechanic for a drive and he was quite certain that it is a transmission issue. Be sure to take your mechanic for a ride, so that there is no, "we couldn't replicate the noise," excuse.

·
10,712 Posts
Mine was speed only, didn't matter gear or clutch activity. Dealer had my car on the lift while spinning the wheels trying to pinpoint where it was. They ended up just replacing it per GM instead of opening it for more closer look.

I swapped from dealer to Amsoil but that was like after 30K miles and 3 axle changes. Not sure how low it was from factory as a few years back the fluid actually froze in -20*F weather making me decide Amsoil was a needed option.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
BTW,

Heh heh,
Rob
We have a winner folks ... goofgolfmiss.png

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So they're putting a trans in it. Thanks goodness for the warranty. Next step when I get it back: drain the fluid and put Amsoil in it. Synchromesh 5W-30 or 75W-90? I don't drive it hard so I'm assuming 5W-30.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same here, I was running 75W-90 in my transmission. At the next oil change i'll drain the transmission and replace the fluid with Amsoil. I slightly over filled my transmissions. GM spec's 2 quarts and I used about 2.5 quarts. There are several posts about slightly overfilling the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So got a brand new trans installed under warranty. Wow, what a difference! Amsoil going in, GM junk coming out. I also mentioned that I may need a cam cover/ oil cap due to a little oil leak. They ended up putting an entirely new intake manifold and throttle body assembly on account of a "valve being missing" in the intake. I'm assuming something to do with the PCV system since the report blamed oil leaks on high crankcase pressure. Makes sense.. Oh well, got a brand new trans and intake setup for free!

·
Administrator
25,598 Posts
Same here, I was running 75W-90 in my transmission. At the next oil change i'll drain the transmission and replace the fluid with Amsoil. I slightly over filled my transmissions. GM spec's 2 quarts and I used about 2.5 quarts. There are several posts about slightly overfilling the transmission.
GM has changed the spec from 2 to 2.5 qts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts