Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
No. The automatic may disengage the transmission completely when stopped to reduce engine idle speed (and thus improve fuel economy). Let off the brake slowly and the transmission will reengage.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Haven't seen a hill holder since 30's car, all MT's back then, clutch engaged also held the brake pedal so you could put your foot on the gas pedal.

Inherent in automatics, but a very bad idea to press on the gas in gear to hold the vehicle steady, torque converter gets red hot doing this. But the Cruze slips back into neutral. But won't with an MT, could ride the clutch, but suicidal for your clutch disk.

But finally placed the brake at the same level as the gas pedal, so you can swing your foot over quickly. Couldn't on previous domestic cars with an MT, your knee would get stuck in your chin when making the switch. So you would start rolling back, this is when you needed the parking brake for help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Comments are very mixed on hill assist in the Challenger and the Camaro. Some people feel like it is too intrusive and makes it easy to stall the car out. It can be disabled in the Challenger.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I drive a stick and the hill hold feature is that nice lever between the front two seats. I only use it for steep hills as I'm fast enough with my feet to avoid rollback.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid (automatic) that had hill hold. No such luck on the Cruze auto.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Some new vehicles with automatic transmissions have a hill holder feature. I know Chrysler stuff does and I was under the impression that all GM vehicles now do too. To the OP, you could easily verify if it has a functional hill holder by finding a steep hill and seeing what happens. They work off the ABS/stability control system.

I had to disable this feature on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler w/manual trans because it didn't match my driving style. The Chrysler implementation lets the owner turn it on or off. I've read on the Camaro forum that there is no way to turn off the hill holder. Even a dealer tech can't turn it off. I'm glad my 2011 Cruze doesn't have it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Chrysler implementation lets the owner turn it on or off. I've read on the Camaro forum that there is no way to turn off the hill holder. Even a dealer tech can't turn it off. I'm glad my 2011 Cruze doesn't have it.
I had marked the Camaro off my list anyway since I didn't like the interior or the visibility out of the car. But I read the same kvetching on Camaro5 and it cooled me off a little more.

You can sort-of get around it in a Camaro since it holds for 2 seconds. Watch the traffic at right angles to you and time the clutch. But it's a frustration to people who like manual trans cars to be adapting their driving technique to circumvent the hill assist.

I'm not 100% against this feature. I'd be OK with a button on the dash or stalk somewhere to activate it *when desired* on steep hills, with traffic behind you.

·
10,713 Posts
Sonic manuals have hill hold, not sure what MY it was added. The auto trans going from neutral when you let off brake was scary the 1st time. I wasn't ready for the lunge foreword.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sonic manuals have hill hold, not sure what MY it was added. The auto trans going from neutral when you let off brake was scary the 1st time. I wasn't ready for the lunge foreword.

Sent from my iFail 5s

1 - 12 of 12 Posts