Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I did it, but I misjudged the edge of a sharp curb and killed the panel underneath the rear passenger door.

It looks bad, and it kills me that this happened to my new Cruze with only a few thousand miles on it.

What is the material of this panel? Any ideas of what something like this might cost to fix, and what implications there might be if I were to not repair it right away?

It kills me that this happened, since I try to take good care of my cars. I'll never forget the sound of the metal scraping, though. :(

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
228 Posts
reminds me of the first (and only) time I curbed a wheel. It was my old rally car, I was going around a corner, and misjudged the distance the same way you did, tire caught the edge of the corner, then slipped off. The wheel came down hard onto the curb, sounded like a sledge hammer hitting concrete.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's metal. I would guess it would be a bump and paint vs. replacing the panel. Replacing would require removing the entire side of the car. Get several quotes from reputible body shops. No doubt GM has an "approved" repair for this type of damage. Ask to see it with your quote.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
784 Posts
Owch...I would just have insurance fix it. If you're good with a paint gun you could get away with doing it yourself at home. You could get a way with just repairing the area by fading the clear and then buffing.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Must be the week for curb shots :angry:

anyway i can fix that??? or just brings me closer to using these rims for snow tires and getting a new set of black rims.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Must be the week for curb shots :angry:

anyway i can fix that??? or just brings me closer to using these rims for snow tires and getting a new set of black rims.
OUCH!!!!! You should be able to get a wheel shop to fix that. It doesn't look too bad. Here in Houston, Tx., there are many places that can fix issues with wheels, hopefully there is one close to where you live?

·
Registered
784 Posts
OUCH!!!!! You should be able to get a wheel shop to fix that. It doesn't look too bad. Here in Houston, Tx., there are many places that can fix issues with wheels, hopefully there is one close to where you live?
A rim repair shop should be able to fix it for about $100. Many years ago I had a 17" wheel fixed that had I nice dent in it from a curb. They made it look like new again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Naa don't worry about it Steve...I am thinking of getting a full body kit for mine eventually when I have the money to do so. But yeah I would look at side skirts or possible a low priced body kit or maybe just the side skirts. There's some good places out there and you can actually get a nice body kit for around $900...which sadly might be cheaper than to fix the thing haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
Somehow I took out a fire hydrant. I was backing up and I hit a fire hydrant and it ruined my front wheel and ripped a hole in my tire. thank goodness it was a Steel wheel and no body damage. Cost me @$150 since I had a100 coupon from GM for my floor mat problems. When I hit the hydrant, I didn't know what happened. The car went down in a hole and I turned the wheel too soon whild backing up. I heard a big scrunch and the car would not go forward. Luckily it was only the wheel and tire and not the front fender!
Good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
GM offered me a warranty on my wheels for pothole damage and whatnot. It doesn't cover curb rubs, but he said to just say you hit a pothole.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts