Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago on my way home from a local car show, some guy tries to go around me at a red light and hits my rear bumper. The hit wasn't even enough to jar the entire car. Immediately I get out my iPhone and open the photo/video app because I had a feeling things were going to get ugly. So I approach him after positioning my car so that he couldn't get away right away and he starts to plead with me saying " I can't afford this I have a wife and kids blah blah". I ask does he has insurance, he says no. He's acting all jittery and I'm no expert(and I don't think I need to be one anyway), but the dude was drunk. His passenger was looking like she was cracked out or whatever. He then opens his wallet and gives me a few hundred. At first I didn't want to take the money because I was sure to get police involved because he needed to be off the road. I take it anyway so I don't get screwed, but then I turn on my camera from there after the money part and say to him if like to still get his contact information. So he hits me with the "okay let me just pull around" but at that point I knew where that was going so I record video of his plate face and everything. He bolts off. So out of concern and never having gone through anything like this, I pursue him. He's driving a burned out old Silverado truck. He goes through red lights and everything. At that point I knew he was messed up so I called polices and at their discretion pulled over and quit pursuing him. Luckily up to that point at least that I know of, no one was hurt. However this is the damage

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/robc972/B1D07890-9E77-4EC2-AEE3-499B1866D11D.jpg[/IMG[/URL]

[URL=http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/robc972/media/6010790E-2E3E-4123-85C3-F5B3A5A67150.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s502/robc972/6010790E-2E3E-4123-85C3-F5B3A5A67150.jpg

no structural damage that I know of and no broken clips that retain the bumper. How much will this repair cost? I'm thinking all it needs to be is popped out and honestly I needed to have the whole thing repainted anyway because of a bitches touch up job on the other side. Could I have really "lucked" up in a weird way and can have this done basiavlly free with that money?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd say repair cost is about $0.50. Take the rear bumper off, boil some water, dump the water on the part that's damaged. Then, while wearing gloves, push out on the inside of the bumper. It should pop that dent out fairly easily.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I'd say repair cost is about $0.50. Take the rear bumper off, boil some water, dump the water on the part that's damaged. Then, while wearing gloves, push out on the inside of the bumper. It should pop that dent out fairly easily.
Yea just popping it out should take care of it. There does not appear to be any cracked paint so you should be OK on the need for repaint. My wife had the same thing happen to her 2005 Malibu but the bumper itself is "ripped" so it needs to be replaced. Yours however, popping out should fill the bill.

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is why I drive with a dvr camera. If I was you sue sue sue LOL . Like you stated he shouldn't be on the road & did the cops ever catch them? Now he needs to prove he gave you money & hope he has insurance & take the money & try ^^^ suggestion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll paint was cracked but I had already planned on a repaint anyway. So how much will the repaint cost. Also I had him on video. Face, voice, and plate and truck. Police said it will be easy to find him. I'm waiting to hear from the hit skip unit. He already stated when I spoke to him that he wasn't insured that why he wanted to give me money and avoid police lol.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Probably wasn't insured because he's a serial drunk driver. His car needs to be confiscated and sold to assist victims of drunk drivers (after conviction of course).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts