Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my airbags did not deploy and my seatbelt did not lock, needless to say I am in PAIN. But I want to know if this thing is totaled, if it should have deployed the airbags and locked the seatbelt? Maybe? I’m not sure, first time accident. 🤦‍♀️ I know my hood cannot open, it was smoking like crazy, the radiator is completely pushed forward (pretty sure the turbo is gone). The insurance adjuster will be looking at it Thursday but wanted opinions. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hood Grille Black Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
There is a crash sensor in the engine bay. Actaully you can see it in your second picture kinda on the left siide there. Looks like a speaker.

Should it have gone off? Yeah probably. Well it didn't. When panels start crumbling it creates a pressure difference and this will always setoff airbags regardless of acceleration.

So I'm not sure. Most of what got damaged is fairly easy to replace, even those brackets.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You're lucky you're alive. Cherish it. As for the car....up to the adjuster. Hidden damage...might not show up for awahile. Good luck whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted opinions prior to the adjuster coming out. I literally just got the car a month ago, it had less than 73k miles on it. Definitely a bummer situation and I get that there may be some hidden damage later down the road. I was mainly confused on why the airbags did not deploy and the seatbelt lock. The sensors are/ were located right where the damage is. They have both been pushed back/damaged from the accident. I just thank my starts the children were not with me.

As for it being totaled, I’m not sure. The frame looks to be slightly off but of course won’t know more until the hood is actually open and I start looking closer at it,the radiator and turbo are gone, I have quite a few hoses and fans that will need replaced as well as the cosmetic damage (that I know of for now), I’m roughly estimating it at $6,000 in damages. Once the hood is open more I will be able to see the engine a lot clearer. Since this was my first accident and I can’t judge a totaled car vs a fixable car (I think everything can be fixed with time and commitment) I thought I would ask the Cruze community.

All I have to say is 🤬 f%c# deer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
For reference, this is our 2011 that was involved in an accident not long ago. The initial estimate is over $2000 and that is without looking at the hidden damage. Yours will be significantly higher and likely totaled.

But on the brighter side, the car did its job and you are still alive.
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted opinions prior to the adjuster coming out. I literally just got the car a month ago, it had less than 73k miles on it. Definitely a bummer situation and I get that there may be some hidden damage later down the road. I was mainly confused on why the airbags did not deploy and the seatbelt lock. The sensors are/ were located right where the damage is. They have both been pushed back/damaged from the accident. I just thank my starts the children were not with me.

As for it being totaled, I’m not sure. The frame looks to be slightly off but of course won’t know more until the hood is actually open and I start looking closer at it,the radiator and turbo are gone, I have quite a few hoses and fans that will need replaced as well as the cosmetic damage (that I know of for now), I’m roughly estimating it at $6,000 in damages. Once the hood is open more I will be able to see the engine a lot clearer. Since this was my first accident and I can’t judge a totaled car vs a fixable car (I think everything can be fixed with time and commitment) I thought I would ask the Cruze community.

All I have to say is 🤬 f%c# deer.
All I can say is ehhh. Will depend what kind of coffee the adjuster has that morning. If you don’t want it totaled you could literally ask for it not to be. That may not change the outcome but if it ends up being “ehhhh” the adjuster will be more likely to go by what you want.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Cruze
179 Posts
So my airbags did not deploy and my seatbelt did not lock, needless to say I am in PAIN. But I want to know if this thing is totaled, if it should have deployed the airbags and locked the seatbelt? Maybe? I’m not sure, first time accident. 🤦‍♀️ I know my hood cannot open, it was smoking like crazy, the radiator is completely pushed forward (pretty sure the turbo is gone). The insurance adjuster will be looking at it Thursday but wanted opinions. 🤷🏼‍♀️

View attachment 294518
View attachment 294519
View attachment 294520
Shouldn’t be totaled mines wasn’t an it $9,000 in damages
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
Shouldn’t be totaled mines wasn’t an it $9,000 in damages View attachment 294526
Consider, though, that was over five years ago when the car's value was significantly higher.

Our diesel was just totaled for over $8k in far less significant repairs (at least).

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was about $9K in damage on Good Friday 2020. Just got up to highway speed and she jumped the guardrail. Hit the brakes, but too late. No airbag deployed and no seatbelt lock (that I know of). Best of luck to you. Car will fix up fine.
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the information! The car is totaled, destroyed everything under the hood and pushed the engine back, cracked the frame and in the process destroyed the airbag sensors. Mechanic said the airbags should have deployed and my seatbelt should have locked. They recommended a good lawyer who took my case. I’m sure it won’t go far with how many top notch lawyers they have backing them but I just want them to be aware that their may be an issue. I’m just thankful that I didn’t get hurt any worse than what I did. 🙏 Have a great and safe day!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glad you are okay and sorry about the car. It's become a give and take situation with the safety developments of the last few decades. With crumple zones the impact is absorbed by the vehicle and the passengers come out in better shape. But the car doesn't survive. I wonder if the belt didn't lock and the airbags didn't deploy because there wasn't an immediate deceleration which would occur when hitting another car or an inanimate object?

And I didn't realize that deer could go 70MPH 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts