Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I placed a Hitch on the Cruze over the weekend for carrying bikes, and potentially a flat cargo carrier. The intent is to get a small portable grill out of the trunk when tailgating and roadtriping. Less than 50 lbs in the basket.

Does anyone have a hitch mounted cargo carrier that works well with the cruze?

I picked up the aluminum version of the basket from Harbor Freight, along with the 1 1/2x 2" adapter, and the basket sits too close to the ground. Also the tongue of this basket is really long. New mounting holes will have to be drilled. That can be dealt with, but getting the basket off the ground is more of a challenge.

I returned the 1.5" x2" adapter and picked up a mount for ATV Hitches that can be bolted to the ball mount that comes with the hitch. This may provide the lift I need. However, it could potentially rotate. I haven't played around with it enough.

Is anyone using a hitch mounted cargo carrier that is not 60" wide, and adapted to the small cruze hitch size of 1 1/2"?

If so how did you do it? I can return the aluminum basket, but I haven't found any other options that are less than 48" wide.

I have some pictures of the 48" aluminum behind the car, but it still needs some work if I keep it. Any welders in the Twin Cities, MSP area?

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The hitch does bolt up. Curt Manufacturing 11282 was installed on the rear of the car. I'm asking for suggestions on the cargo carrier baskets to attach to the Curt hitch reciever.

Call it a cargo carrier, call it a utility platform, or even a hitch mounted luggage carrier. Esentially a platform on the rear of the car to place light weight stuff.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First Update to thread. I returned the aluminum basket from Harbor Freight along with all adapters. I purchased Curt 18140 cargo carrier. It's 1-1/4" shank, so it goes directly into the receiver on the Cruze. The shank has an upward curve to it, so that the bottom of the basket sits approximately at the level that a hitch ball would. This is much better than down at the reciever connection.

The cargo carrier is also adjustable for the distance off the bumper in 2" incriments. Right now I have the cargo carrier about 1.0" off the bumper. Keeps the load nice and tight. I can move it out 2" so that I can load the entire platform, and still open the trunk.

I purchased a 34 gallon Sterlite container at Wallmart, and it fit's on the carrier fairly well. That holds the grill, a 5 gallon pail holds accessories.

Note you may have to relocate the license plate when using the carrier. This model doesn't appear to have standard predrilled holes for this. Some do, but not a huge issue. I also haven't done light wiring. If I was using it infrequently in town I wouldn't move the plate, or worry about lights, but for a 12 day road trip I may do it. Curt also has these.

Check out Curt's website. I wish I would have ordered the hitch and platform together. I could have saved a lot of time, vs. trying to make the aluminum one work. Parts purchased from "the rock auto store".

Total weight of the steel one is 45 lbs for the carrier. This is 2 lbs less than what I had with the harbor freight aluminum one, put together with 2 adapters, so I consider the weight a wash. It may be steel, but it's built well, and should last me many years.

I just came back from a state park yesterday, cooler in trunk. Grill and accessories, and chairs on the platform. I should have grabbed some pictures of it on the car. I will the next time I put it on.

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the photo's taken, but they are higher resolution than what this site will handle, and need to be resized. If anyone is interested in them send me a pm with an e-mail address and I'll forward them. I'll attempt to resize them, but it may not be until the weekend.

Thanks

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures sent to Christopher_2. Thanks for the help with this. Sorry the pictures were not taken during the day.

1. There's one of the Curt Concealed hitch, no drill required.

2. There's another that shows the finished platform on the car.

3. One that shows the adjustability of the shank that goes into the car reciever.
This is key, and this is what makes using all the aluminum carriers like the one at harbor freight difficult.
4. One that shows the distance off the ground. 17 inches high should keep your platform from ever hitting the ground.
5. Possible to adjust it to have the basket load 2 inches off the bumper.

Depending on the traveled distance, and the items placed on it, it may be pretty easy to cover part of the taillights or the license plate. Haven't worked on those issues yet. If anyone has any idea's please post.

· Registered
1 Posts
looking to improve my cargo capacity. With only 1000 lbs...which includes passenger and cargo weight....a small trailer (harbor freight) seems useless. Also...sounds like you should only tow for a few miles at a time. Am I correct on these assumptions? What is the best/most economical way to add cargo space to my 2012 LS? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.