Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals), I just picked up a Kawasaki stand up jet ski on Craigslist and have the idea of building a rack that would hold the jet ski off of the hitch receiver. Now, my question is for those of you with the hitch already (this would most likely be the deciding factor on wether I buy the hitch) how much can the receiver support? And more importantly, what is the tongue weight limit?

Also, please note as to which brand and model you have. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...well there goes that idea.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Yeah, it ain't gonna work. You can definitely get a single place trailer for it, but no way will the car support all that weight.

When I had my pontoon hooked up to it, it did nearly bottom out the suspension.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Claim the happiest day when buying a boat is the day you sell it. Wanted my grandkids to grow up with boating so broke down a purchased a 20 footer four years ago, with work schedules and rain every weekend, barely get to use it.

And if you think car parts are way overpriced, wait until you get into marine. Then if given the choice, my grandkids far prefer to go in our tandem kayak.

Your jet ski should weigh around 400 pounds, do need a trailer, also these things are not very easy to work on, especially if debris get stuck in that pump and breaks it. Also make darn sure you are carrying liability insurance.

Ha, taking our grandkids to a lake only ten miles away, run into a lot of problems with these things in a kayak. So drive to a lake 50 miles away where they are not allowed.

I do all of my own boat worked, cost me 70 bucks to replace the U-joints on this thing where others have paid 1,800 bucks for the same job. But seem to be spending more time keeping it up than using it. Thinking about selling it.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Claim the happiest day when buying a boat is the day you sell it. Wanted my grandkids to grow up with boating so broke down a purchased a 20 footer four years ago, with work schedules and rain every weekend, barely get to use it.

And if you think car parts are way overpriced, wait until you get into marine. Then if given the choice, my grandkids far prefer to go in our tandem kayak.

Your jet ski should weigh around 400 pounds, do need a trailer, also these things are not very easy to work on, especially if debris get stuck in that pump and breaks it. Also make darn sure you are carrying liability insurance.

Ha, taking our grandkids to a lake only ten miles away, run into a lot of problems with these things in a kayak. So drive to a lake 50 miles away where they are not allowed.

I do all of my own boat worked, cost me 70 bucks to replace the U-joints on this thing where others have paid 1,800 bucks for the same job. But seem to be spending more time keeping it up than using it. Thinking about selling it.
This is my third water toy. I have two other jet ski's (SeaDoo and Yamaha) that were bought new off the lot over 10 years ago. First lesson learned, if you take care of them they'll take care of you. Learned to do all of my own maintenance and it kept dealer costs down over the years. Major fixes were only to the extent of a pump rebuild (twice). I can pride myself on these skis never seeing saltwater which I'm sure helps with corrosion as well as them being properly stored indoors for the winter months. I'm often on the Colorado River (Laughlin/Bullhead City) which is well over two hours to my vacation of choice. I love marine sports in general and wouldn't have it any other way.

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2003 Chevy Suburban. :)

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
After getting rid of my 92 DeVille for the Cruze, elected to put a hidden trailer hitch on my 88 Supra, never thought I would do this. Hitch says 3,500 pulling and 350 tongue pound weight. I can believe this because the steel it mounts on is massive. But the owners manual states 2,000, 200 pounds maximum. If I was involved in an accident, sure the insurance companies will go by the owners manual weight.

Its handy for pulling my utility trailer and mounting a bike rack on the rear. We also mount our kayak to the top, a full foot shorter than the Cruze and no antenna to remove. Plus its roof is super solid. Just use the Cruze for its mpg feature.

While legally I didn't have to, installed surge brakes on my boat trailer. From years of experience, people just love to pull out in front of you if they see you pulling a trailer. Borrowing my son's SUV at present, what the heck, taking my grandkids with me anyway. Sure my Supra can handle it, but taking a risk I do not care to take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts