·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holden Recalls 1.8L Cruze

Right Front Driveshaft (Half Shaft) to be Replaced
in 1.8L Cruze with 6-speed Manual Transmission

BY SAM MCEACHERN — APR 1, 2014

Holden has announced it will recall certain models of its Cruze compact car, confirming the Australian automaker’s suspicion that the model would be wrapped up in the recall of more than 170,000 North American examples of the car. General Motors announced a stop-sale of the Chevrolet Cruze last Friday and confirmed it was recalling the cars on Saturday, just one in a series of recalls the automotive giant has issued in recent months.

The Problem: GM issued a statement Saturday notifying dealers and owners the Cruze’s driveshaft which connects the transmission to the front right wheel could “fracture or separate” on models equipped with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine. Holden Cruze models are recalled for the same reason, although the issue is confined to those models equipped with the 1.8-liter engine and 6-speed manual transmission.

Number of Affected Vehicles: Holden says 2712 vehicles are included in the recall.

The Fix: Holden recalled the Cruze for the same drive shaft defect in September 2013, but is recalling those cars again along with any similar vehicles sold since as a preventative measure after an improved part became available for overseas models. Holden says dealers will install a “new improved certified drive shaft” on the cars and are currently in the process of notifying owners.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Source: Holden Announces Recall Of 1.8L Cruze Models | GM Authority
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Same recall we have going on in the US. I bet it's even the same supplier.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
But we'll never know who, or where, that supplier is.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Jim, you're probably right. The Holden recall also pretty much answers the question of whether or not Cruzen recalled last fall are being recalled again - they are.

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, and what first caught my attention was the Holden Cruze recall affects 1.8L models with the M32 6-MT. Why? Well, since the LS and 1.4L versions of the Cruze for North America are built side-by-side in Lordstown, one wonders if and why two different half shafts were used on the same line: the LS receiving the 'good' part and all other Cruze models the 'bad' driveshafts. Note again that in Australia it's the LS equivalent model which were built with defective parts.

With GM now thrust into major crisis management mode, a guy could reasonably think a right front half shaft recall of certain LS model Cruzen could possibly be in the offing somewhere down the road

But we'll never know who, or where, that supplier is.
I contacted a Reuters news correspondent who had written a detailed and well-researched informative article about the American-built Cruze's recent troubles and asked him that very question: "Do you, Sir, know who manufactured the part and, if yes, would you please share that information with me so I can in turn share it with the world's largest dedicated Chevrolet Cruze online forum?" No answer received to date.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Yes, and what first caught my attention was the Holden Cruze recall affects 1.8L models with the M32 6-MT. Why? Well, since the LS and 1.4L versions of the Cruze for North America are built side-by-side in Lordstown, one wonders if and why two different half shafts were used on the same line: the LS receiving the 'good' part and all other Cruze models the 'bad' driveshafts. Note again that in Australia it's the LS equivalent model which were built with defective parts.

With GM now thrust into major crisis management mode, a guy could reasonably think a right front half shaft recall of certain LS model Cruzen could possibly be in the offing somewhere down the road.
Very good point about the US LS model.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A lot of GM parts list the country of origin on the box even if it isn't on the actual part. For instance, on my US-built Cruze, the tie rod and end that had to be replaced both came in boxes prominently marked "Made in Germany, Federal Republic Of" (I guess the "Federal Republic" part is necessary to make sure everyone knows GM isn't using old stock Trabant parts or something :p). I wasn't able to find any pictures of the box that axle comes in looking around online, but if you're really that curious, you might be able to ask the dealership for the cardboard box the actual part that went on your car came out of. GM could have multiple suppliers for this part as well.

Also, does the US LS maybe use different gearing and the shaft is a different part?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
<OT> Federal Republic of Germany is the official name for Germany. It was the old "West Germany" and in this case the "winner" kept their name during reunification. </OT>

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Those Were The Days, My Friend

A lot of GM parts list the country of origin on the box even if it isn't on the actual part. For instance, on my US-built Cruze, the tie rod and end that had to be replaced both came in boxes prominently marked "Made in Germany, Federal Republic Of" (I guess the "Federal Republic" part is necessary to make sure everyone knows GM isn't using old stock Trabant parts or something :p). I wasn't able to find any pictures of the box that axle comes in looking around online, but if you're really that curious, you might be able to ask the dealership for the cardboard box the actual part that went on your car came out of. GM could have multiple suppliers for this part as well.

Also, does the US LS maybe use different gearing and the shaft is a different part?
Federal Republic of Germany is the official name for Germany. It was the old "West Germany" and in this case the "winner" kept their name during reunification.
Lived there as well as attended and graduated from school there back in days when Germany was split into two parts, the East and the West. The West, interestingly, was divided in three parts and 'occupied' by the Americans, British and French. My family lived in a suburb of Hannover, Langenhagen, in Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) not all that far from Wolfsburg, all part of the British Sector. More than once I took the opportunity to visit the Soviet-controlled sector formerly called the DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik). The first time I crossed Checkpoint Charlie by myself made me a bit nervous, but I was just a kid and there was nothing to fear. The official name for West Germany then and the unified Germany now is the BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland).

BTW, old Trabants, or Trabbis as we call them, are collectable and have been all the rage in Germany for quite some time.

- - - - - - - -
End off-topic.
- - - - - - - -​

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Yo Aussie what have you to add to this News ? Come on man I know you are in here some where I just can not pull you out in order to say man it is time to get back to a mortal thought ..

I was unaware that the 1.8 is and has been an engine utilized to propell the cruzen in Australia and that side of the Pacific Rim .

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Yo Aussie what have you to add to this News ? Come on man I know you are in here some where I just can not pull you out in order to say man it is time to get back to a mortal thought ..

I was unaware that the 1.8 is and has been an engine utilized to propell the cruzen in Australia and that side of the Pacific Rim .
I have a diesel because it is the only engine that was available with enough power and torque to move a car of this weight. The 1.6T wasn't available at the time so wasn't an option. The 1.8 was clearly underpowered and the 1.4T just didn't appeal to me. As for the drive shaft I think it is bean counters gone too far in cost cutting. How can a drive shaft on an underpowered car fail?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
The 1.8's (and 1.6 non-turbo) is a global engine - used in a ton of GM cars everywhere (Vauxhaul, Opel, Holden, Chevy, etc).

The Aussies reportedly just recently got a slightly tuned-up version of the 1.8 that isn't so weak in the midrange. Power is the same at the top end, though. I'm not sure if that motor will make it State-side by the Cruze redesign or not.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
The 1.8's (and 1.6 non-turbo) is a global engine - used in a ton of GM cars everywhere (Vauxhaul, Opel, Holden, Chevy, etc).

The Aussies reportedly just recently got a slightly tuned-up version of the 1.8 that isn't so weak in the midrange. Power is the same at the top end, though. I'm not sure if that motor will make it State-side by the Cruze redesign or not.
The only non turbo engine in Australia is the 1.8. I think the mid range torque was flattened out with a different cam shaft grind, so an easy fix really.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Dang and I still am not getting a new pat for me IT ..

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slow boat to china

j.,
what are the specs of this tweaked australasian 1.8L motor? we all know the one that is delivered via lordstown needs more grunt, twisting force, torque. wonder if this new tune is done with software alone, flashing the ecm and related systems with revised programming? if so, i'd jump on board that ship in a heartbeat. i love my 2o12 cruze, but it's definitely one slow boat to china, even with the M32.

thanks ...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Can't remember the exact article it came from, but it looks like just programming differences were applied to the 2013.

The standard 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine still struggles to impress, however. This is a two decade-old engine, revised over the years with variable valve timing, and in this latest iteration, it gets a new control unit with software designed to “iron out the flat spots in the rev range”, according to one Holden engineer.
The performance of Cruze’s naturally-aspirated 1.8-litre engine has been improved by changes to throttle mapping and auto transmission calibration but it’s still far from the category’s best.
The changes apply only to the petrol-engined models, but they are extensive. There is new shift mapping for the six-speed auto and upgraded internals give it better driveability.While the previous model tended to 'hunt' on inclines, the new auto picks the right ratio and holds it until the road starts to level out.
It’s something that you appreciate more in the 1.8 litre models, where peak torque is just 175Nm and peak power of 104kW arrives at 6300rpm.
SRi and SRi-V variants get a sport-shift mode for the auto, which holds gears for longer and kicks down when braking into a corner.
It does a pretty fair job of predicting which gear the driver wants to be in, and we didn’t feel the need to resort to manual mode.
Too bad I can't say ANY of those things about the auto transmission in the 2013 North American Cruze.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Yea it seems like GM's suppliers of junk are about to be it's undoing for once and for all. I shudder to think what new findings emerge. Unlike Toyota did, they seem to have nobody in their corner on this one. Of course i'm referring to the Cobalt problems also.

·
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ms Barra for the fall?

Yea it seems like GM's suppliers of junk are about to be it's undoing for once and for all. I shudder to think what new findings emerge.
Unfortunately, I have to concur. It's bad, really bad, and it's going to get a lot worse now that Congress and every available top-shelf trial lawyer is on board or doing their darndest to get there.

When's all's said and done, this apparently avoidable travesty of deliberate and possibly criminal mismanagement at the highest levels, and I'm referring to the Colbalt key issue here, will cost GM billions and billions of dollars and perhaps the company as we know it today.

All the while, I've been asking myself: "Did the good old boys in suits set up Ms Barra, a female, to face this alone and take the fall?" I believe it's certainly possible. The elite and privileged old school men's club network takes care of themselves, regardless of the cost to others.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Eh, this could backfire pretty spectacularly on the 'old boy network'. Barra just took over, unless old documents show she was involved in the cover-up she can play the "I'm here to clean this mess up" until the cows come home. And if there *is* some kind of conspiracy of corruption in the company, this is a great piece of ammunition for her to fire the responsible parties. And I still think the ignition switch thing is being blown out of proportion. Like I've said before, several of those 13 deaths were the result of alcohol and/or not wearing seat belts, and GM must have sold hundreds of thousands if not millions of these cars. Not that I don't feel sorry for the people who lost a loved one, just telling it like it is. If this problem was truly that common we'd be encountering stalled out Cobalts on the freeway all the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts