Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I have a 2018 Premier RS and noticed lately while doing 120km/h it’s sitting at about 3200RPM and won’t upshift to 6th. If I accelerate to 130km/h it will shift up to 6th but it’s a rough shift and setting cruise at 130km/h it doesn’t know what to do and constantly shifts up/down/up/down. Above 130km/h it will stay in 6th. Currently has 43,500km never had a problem with the car so far, any ideas?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,329 Posts
That is super weird. Mine goes into 6th around 42-45 most of the time unless you're on it to merge. I have never seen it hunt gears on the highway.

Is it down on power? Maybe leaking boost?

In any case I'd take it into a dealer and have them look at it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s my commuter car so I don’t reall step on it much, set cruise and go. Last night on the way home it went into 6th gear for about 80% of of the drive and then near home randomly downshifted again. It’s going in today and I’ll post an update incase anyone else runs into the problem later

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2018 Cruze LT turbo rs. My car also won't go into 6th gear. Just started today. I know this is old but did you ever find out the problem?

It’s my commuter car so I don’t reall step on it much, set cruise and go. Last night on the way home it went into 6th gear for about 80% of of the drive and then near home randomly downshifted again. It’s going in today and I’ll post an update incase anyone else runs into the problem later

·
Registered
2016 2nd Gen Cruze LT
64 Posts
I also have a 2018 Cruze LT turbo rs. My car also won't go into 6th gear. Just started today. I know this is old but did you ever find out the problem?
Is your engine coolant temp within check? If the ECT is reading low, it won't upshift/lock the TC. I would recommend scanning for codes and report back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this happen to me as well was fine this morning when I came home from work made a 45 min drive back to the city and remained at 3500 rpm on the highway. No engine light, coolant temp at half as it should be. Tryed to switch to manual and placed in 6th with no change. Called dealer it’s going in for that and a loose antenna on the roof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has been doing it a lot more here lately, today I never even got into 6th gear. It was in the teens outside today but it's getting more concerning. My fuel consumption is massive now. I drive 110 miles a day so it's just been drinking gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I have a 2018 Premier RS and noticed lately while doing 120km/h it’s sitting at about 3200RPM and won’t upshift to 6th. If I accelerate to 130km/h it will shift up to 6th but it’s a rough shift and setting cruise at 130km/h it doesn’t know what to do and constantly shifts up/down/up/down. Above 130km/h it will stay in 6th. Currently has 43,500km never had a problem with the car so far, any ideas?
Same for me did you ever find out why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has been doing it a lot more here lately, today I never even got into 6th gear. It was in the teens outside today but it's getting more concerning. My fuel consumption is massive now. I drive 110 miles a day so it's just been drinking gas.
Did you ever find out why

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rshatchredline said his tech said it was designed to do so. I still don't see the reasoning behind it. Not like the intercooler is full of water or anything. I've owned a lot of turbo cars and this is the first one to do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I know , this is the first yr doing it , 2018 102000 miles i wonder if the fluid would have anything to do with it , i didnt know about changing it that often but it's never been changed , no check engine light or anything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I know , this is the first yr doing it , 2018 102000 miles i wonder if the fluid would have anything to do with it , i didnt know about changing it that often but it's never been changed , no check engine light or anything

·
Registered
716 Posts
High humidity content on in coming air could condense inside the intercooler after being heated by the turbo then cooling down causing water vapor to form in the inlet tract. Ever taken a tupper ware out of the fridge and have water on the inside of the lid. Same thing basically.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was replying to Loki. But no. I have not changed the trans fluid at all. From what I can gather it is in the software tune, so I imagine changing the fluid wouldn't really help.

I would however like to know the parameters in which it happens. My auto start stop doesn't work either (no complaints there) but it didn't do any of these things last winter. It only started this winter so I would like to know how the ECU/PCM knows when to hold 5th gear.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts