Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blue Fungus - compressed.jpg

I was getting the dreaded Dynamic Duo - Service Stabili-Trak / Traction Control warnings [EDIT: forgot to add ABS light as well](No codes come up on my Action Pocket Scan Plus reader though) and thought, I just added the Big Three – well, the two grounds anyways and I just had my ground cable replaced last year, what could go wrong?

I had even cleaned up my positive terminal after seeing what it looked like when they changed the ground cable.
I had gone through a pretty extensive regimen including greasing it all with dielectric grease. Well, except for this little area hidden in the back at the bottom, all the grease was still there though. I am not really sure yet if this is a copper coated lead terminal or a Lead coated copper terminal. I did not want to dig into it to make it worse.

Corroded Terminal - compressed.jpg

I have added a few electrical mods, but I am pretty sure they are all appropriately setup. The only constant draw I have is an LED readout for the battery voltage in the trunk. It seems as if there is some type of galvanic action going on.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Yeah......you have a bum battery.

During construction the post holes in the top case are sealed to the posts......this is what happens when the posts leak acid at the post to case interface.......the cable is ruined and likely corrosion is running down the wire under the insulation as well.
If the battery still has any warranty use your photos to prove your point......this may be difficult because few retailers actually know how the battery is constructed.

This one will require a battery and a positive cable for an effective repair.

SUX!

Rob

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah......you have a bum battery.

During construction the post holes in the top case are sealed to the posts......this is what happens when the posts leak acid at the post to case interface.......the cable is ruined and likely corrosion is running down the wire under the insulation as well.
If the battery still has any warranty use your photos to prove your point......this may be difficult because few retailers actually know how the battery is constructed.

This one will require a battery and a positive cable for an effective repair.

SUX!

Rob
When I had my Cruze in to have the negative cable replaced, it looked just like this when they returned it to me. Up until then I hadn't been under the hood much. It was under warranty then , but surely is not now. I think this is the original battery to boot.

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to know the Siemens or conductance of a stock battery? I have both an Ultra and Essential (Midtronics) tester available to me, but need that piece of info to test it.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Don't know who manufactured the battery and electrically it likely will test OK.

This is a construction failure, not a electrical failure.....acid damage.

It would have been nice if the dealer had raised the positive cover but wasn't necessary for the negative cable service/replacement.
This type of failure could have started as soon as a month ago.....acid damage doesn't sleep and it is rapid.
I've seen it so severe it rotted the inner fender through below the battery (not on a Cruze.....yet).

Rob

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't know who manufactured the battery and electrically it likely will test OK.

This is a construction failure, not a electrical failure.....acid damage.

It would have been nice if the dealer had raised the positive cover but wasn't necessary for the negative cable service/replacement.
This type of failure could have started as soon as a month ago.....acid damage doesn't sleep and it is rapid.
I've seen it so severe it rotted the inner fender through below the battery (not on a Cruze.....yet).

Rob
Thanks for the help, I've been swamped lately, but am trying to get my ducks in a row. I am trying to locate the thread that recommends a certain AGM battery for the diesel, but have not found it so far. I have an added problem that may be unrelated, but will mention it just in case. I've blown fuse #6 under the dash (front power outlet) for no "apparent" reason. Nothing has changed in the electrical system except the battery issue. I have not used the power outlet for anything and off the top of my head the Radar Detector is the only thing added to this circuit and it works using the original cord and the rear outlet. . Whatever the overload is, is still there though.

Also along with the Stabili Trak and Traction Control lights is also the ABS light. I had AutoZone re-read the OBD-II codes, but like mine, their code reader is only for the "Check Engine" light. (This is something I did not realize when I bought my reader). Do you have a recommendation for a cost effective code reader that reads the other codes besides the Check Engine/Emission codes?

So three [EDIT: four]things I yet need if you or anyone else knows or has an opinion...

1. Thread that speaks to the AGM battery for the diesel
2. Code reader recommendations
3. A decent copy of the electrical system for a 2014 LT 1.4l Cruze. - I would like to be able to print it on a plotter if the resolution is good enough. ...and
4. Part number for the positive battery cable

Thanks again for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Thanks for the help, I've been swamped lately, but am trying to get my ducks in a row. I am trying to locate the thread that recommends a certain AGM battery for the diesel, but have not found it so far. I have an added problem that may be unrelated, but will mention it just in case. I've blown fuse #6 under the dash (front power outlet) for no "apparent" reason. Nothing has changed in the electrical system except the battery issue. I have not used the power outlet for anything and off the top of my head the Radar Detector is the only thing added to this circuit and it works using the original cord and the rear outlet. . Whatever the overload is, is still there though.

Also along with the Stabili Trak and Traction Control lights is also the ABS light. I had AutoZone re-read the OBD-II codes, but like mine, their code reader is only for the "Check Engine" light. (This is something I did not realize when I bought my reader). Do you have a recommendation for a cost effective code reader that reads the other codes besides the Check Engine/Emission codes?

So three things I yet need if you or anyone else knows or has an opinion...

1. Thread that speaks to the AGM battery for the diesel
2. Code reader recommendations and
3. A decent copy of the electrical system for a 2014 LT 1.4l Cruze. - I would like to be able to print it on a plotter if the resolution is good enough.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Here are a couple of recent diesel battery threads...definitely stick with AGM.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-gen1-diesel-technical-discussion/172337-getting-more-diesel-battery.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/155881-factory-battery-replaced.html

I got the Deka Intimidator Group 94 AGM. Just after I got it, I learned the same company that makes Deka also makes automotive batteries for Sams Club marketed under the Duracell label. Same quality, better price.

Also, just a thought on the warning lights...negative battery cable replaced yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a couple of recent diesel battery threads...definitely stick with AGM.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-gen1-diesel-technical-discussion/172337-getting-more-diesel-battery.html

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/155881-factory-battery-replaced.html

I got the Deka Intimidator Group 94 AGM. Just after I got it, I learned the same company that makes Deka also makes automotive batteries for Sams Club marketed under the Duracell label. Same quality, better price.

Also, just a thought on the warning lights...negative battery cable replaced yet?

Yes and also added the big three kit from XR earlier on. I will look at these threads shortly, but I also ran into these two again:

[h=1]Cruze Battery Upgrade Options[/h]
I've got the buzzing after shutdown too

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I found out today what the code was causing my ABS / Stabili Trak / Traction Control issues. The code is a chassis code: C0040 Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction. I am assuming that something caught the wiring as it was cut through the insulation and had started to corrode. The sensor and wiring was replaced and so far, no more DIC warnings nor dash lites - Yahoo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts