Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Honest Mechanic

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
#1 ·
In the 2014 Cruze (and maybe other years) there's a small open pocket in front of the gear shift lever. I throw extra change into that space from time to time and it comes in handy at drive-up windows. Anyhow: took the Cruze in this morning for the second free oil change (15200 miles). Was just in to make an appointment but they said they could do it right away. About 45 minutes later the car was ready and when I went to look for the wheel lock in the glove compartment (to make sure I got it back after the wheels were rotated) I found a dollar bill. Puzzled, I don't know why it was there but riding home I look down at the pocket and saw that it was somewhat depleted of some change. The only thing I can guess is that the mechanic needed change of a dollar, borrowed it and left me the $1 note. My wife's in rehab after congestive heart failure and she's been there quite some time. I'm the only one using her car and haven't been anywhere to let the car out of sight. I really don't mind what he did and probably would have thought nothing of it if I hadn't found the $1 bill in the glove compartment where I keep the wheel lock.

#2 ·
I bet he wanted something from a vending machine.

#3 ·
Nah he just collects quarters .................

Reactions: jblackburn
#6 ·
I can't believe he couldn't have had someone at the service counter make change for a dollar. Is it just me, or is that rude? Sure he replaced the items he borrowed, but he should have asked or waited, until he could have walked to the cashier to get change.

This exactly the reason why I refuse to take my car into the dealership. Even if I don't have a rare $50 silver quarter sitting in the change holder, I still expect that that particular quarter be in the change holder after the service.

It's like treating people and their cars the way you would treat family. I thought everyone was taught to ask first!

#7 ·
I thought the same thing when I read the post, BUT at least the guy didn't steal the change. I know it's pretty sad these days when one has to think like that.
My father was in the hospital years ago with pneumonia and he insisted to have his wallet by his side in the bed. Well late in the night the nurses had to change the bedding due to my father sweating from the pneumonia and his wallet ended up missing/stolen. Pretty pathetic when your in the hospital being treated by criminals.

#11 ·
I have found a ton of strange things/change when working inside customer vehicle. You wouldn't believe what falls into a center console. I put everything I find in the cup holder. My career is worth more than a couple dollars change over time. Having said that, I consider what happened as good as stealing. There was no consent by you, the owner of the vehicle. There is a cashier up front for change.

#12 ·
I'm torn. I just received an email to take a survey on my latest visit to the dealership. They did take me in without an appointment and I was out of there in about 45 minutes. I refused the $24 extra charge they wanted (they asked first) to balance the wheels when they were rotated. I wasn't having problems with out-of-balance tires before the rotation and didn't expect any just because the tires moved to a different spot. (and they were good when finished). The car was still clean when I got it back (was clean when they took it) and the seats (white leather) were covered with a protective blueish film and paper mats on the floor to protect my mats. (had to remove both but I think they should have done that. Maybe they wanted to show me how they protected the interior?

I think I'll let it go, not say anything on the survey. I'm pleased with the work and at first, thought it was (funny) strange to find a dollar bill in the glove compartment.

#13 ·
You know, everyone here is assuming, as I did as well, that the tech swapped your change for a dollar bill. What if the tech needed to get something and managed to drop one or more of the coins where they couldn't easily be retrieved and threw the dollar bill in there to cover for his mistake. There is a small gap between the coin holder and the interior of the console.

#20 ·
It's a tight fit but my wallet just barely fits. It goes in vertically and presses against the hand brake.

#21 ·
I guess I'm strange. My keys, change and wallet all stay in my pockets when I drive. I do have a black zippered pouch I use for parking meter and laundromat money I keep that in the driver's door. It blends in nicely with the black interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.