Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im feeling really stupid right now. I was trying to accomplish several things tonight on our 2013 chevy cruze. Started of changing the belt tensioner and belt. I got that finished and i moved onto installing the new hood latch. Installed the latch then shut the hood to see if that fuxed the problem or not. Unfortunately i forgot to hook up the cable to the new latch. Now hood is shut and of course hood open is still on the dash, but i cant figure out how to get the hood open since the cable isnt hooked up. I removed the plastic from underneath but i cant get to it. Could someone please help me with this if anyone has done this before.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Bummer. Without the hood release cable attached, getting the mechanism to open looks like it’s going to be a tough one.

I took a few pics of my ‘14 with the hood open to perhaps help ‘see’ where everything is located.

Gun Trigger Firearm Vehicle Machine
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk Vehicle

I could be wrong but I think in order to remove the grille you need to have the hood open so that won’t be an option.

Hopefully a Gearhead like @ChevyGuy or @Robby has a secret mechanic’s trick to pop the latch without using the cable.

Short of that, and as a LAST RESORT (emphasis added), it looks like you could drill two holes through the grille (see last photo) and then drill through a plastic shroud to access the two hood mechanism bolts.

To get through the shroud, you’ll need a drill bit that’s about 12-15” long with a big enough diameter to accommodate a 1/2” or 13mm socket.

Then it would be a 15-20” extension with socket to reach the bolts.

Again, hopefully there’s a better way or trick that doesn’t involve ‘modifiying’ your grille. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I have nothing to offer except a suggestion.

Body shops run into this often......car hit in the nose...undamaged hood and must minimize further damage.

So, with that in mind, stop by a body shop and get their thoughts (or get the situation rectified).

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was replacing the latch cable easy? I had my cable break and took it to the dealer so they could open it and now they are asking for $698 if I want them to replace the cable since opening the hood was difficult for them??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts