Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a problem launching a car or anything to do with a 1/4 mile run. Been doing it for a long time. BUt I just cannot seem to get it right on this car.

I did 3 runs today, not on a dragstrip but rather on a local strip of deserted highway and had some, in my mind, horrible results. Now when I got tuned, Boats told me that I should expect around a 7 second to mid 7 second 0-60 time and 1.4 mile times in the mid to high 15s even without using no lift shift. I forgot I even had NLS for my first 2 runs today (woops). My best run today was the 3rd and that was an 8.4 0-60 and a 16.8 1.4 mile. I had traction control and stability control on, though I did get a decent bit of wheel spin.

I used the TOrque app with my obd to bluetooth adapter for the measurements.

The car seems to run perfectly fine so I am guessing it is me. Does who has been doing runs have any advice?

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
I have never had a problem launching a car or anything to do with a 1/4 mile run. Been doing it for a long time. BUt I just cannot seem to get it right on this car.

I did 3 runs today, not on a dragstrip but rather on a local strip of deserted highway and had some, in my mind, horrible results. Now when I got tuned, Boats told me that I should expect around a 7 second to mid 7 second 0-60 time and 1.4 mile times in the mid to high 15s even without using no lift shift. I forgot I even had NLS for my first 2 runs today (woops). My best run today was the 3rd and that was an 8.4 0-60 and a 16.8 1.4 mile. I had traction control and stability control on, though I did get a decent bit of wheel spin.

I used the TOrque app with my obd to bluetooth adapter for the measurements.

The car seems to run perfectly fine so I am guessing it is me. Does who has been doing runs have any advice?
The Eco wheels don't have much for grip of the line. That by far is going to be your biggest issue. Also, your torque app will be a bit slow, so keep that in mind. It's not very accurate for these purposes.

I also had some trouble launching when I was at the track in my Eco. You have to launch at the right RPM and hold it the right amount before shifting into 2nd or you will bog back down and lose it.

Take a visit to a real race track when you get a chance.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
Powerband (at least stock) falls off after 5000 RPM too. Shift at 5500 to keep it in that powerband in 2nd.

Revving all the way to the redline on this car is useless.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Turn traction control off, it will help

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i understand that runs like this in a cruze are laughable. However, its all about getting better at driving my car. For when something that i do think i can beat messes with me on the road. I don't
Want to be that guy that loses to a prius because he cant drive his car.

Next time im around that road im gonna try again without traction/stability control on. I was shiftin at redline so ill try taking that down as well. I really dont ever beat on this car so driving it hard is a new concept to me lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@xtreme. The closest track to go to is around 3 hours away. In my mind thats too far just to run 15-16 second passes lol.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
These cars are built for economy definitely not speed. The chance of you drag racing a prius are slim to none.
I've only ever seen one go fast. And there was a pissed off angry looking fat man driving it. He beat my old Honda Accord up an on-ramp to the highway. It was a sad, sad day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These cars are built for economy definitely not speed. The chance of you drag racing a prius are slim to none.
It was just for comparison. And actually, after driving a prius, they really aren't much slower than our cars stock, if they're are slower at all. Just gotta have someone behind the wheel who isn't your typical prius driver. I put my buddies prius jnto "power mode" and stomped the gas pedal and it picked up surprisingly well

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Prius' are running ~10 second 0-60. The Cruze Ls stock is like.. 9.0-9.5. Turbo's are ~8.0-8.5. Not too much slower, haha. I love the Prius.
From 8.2 to 10.0 is a pretty big difference when it comes to merging onto traffic with a car full of people. The Prius is lethargic by comparison.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
The Automatic Cruze's are noticeably faster. You have to shift at 5500 RPMs. You need a tune to get low 16s. Mid 15s takes cool weather, good traction, and perfect launch / shifting. For 0-60, this car is low to mid 7s.
That's going to be because no human can even come close to the 100-250ms shift times of an auto. Anyone serious about the 1/4 and bracket racing will be using a finely tuned automatic. Think I already harped on this a while back.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Prius' are running ~10 second 0-60. The Cruze Ls stock is like.. 9.0-9.5. Turbo's are ~8.0-8.5. Not too much slower, haha. I love the Prius.
Prius and their owners are like the hippies and their VW's in the 60's. FLOWER POWER!!!!! #Fail

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
That's going to be because no human can even come close to the 100-250ms shift times of an auto. Anyone serious about the 1/4 and bracket racing will be using a finely tuned automatic. Think I already harped on this a while back.
While this does apply to high powered drag cars, I don't believe it is set in stone for street cars like the Cruze. If I remember correctly, manuals put down more power to the ground than automatics due to less parasitic loss. It was somewhere around 6-8% difference in power if I'm not mistaken. So, while the auto will shift more quickly, it will also absorb more power than the manual. IMO, an experienced driver in a manual Cruze will be faster than a driver in an auto Cruze.

That said, you can't validly compare a Cruze Eco MT to a Cruze Auto due to the significantly lower final drive ratio and taller gears on the Eco MT.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
A good driver with a manual will beat a STOCK auto almost every time (there are exceptions) and it has very little to do with shifting. The auto has the advantage on the launch, that is where it makes up it's time, and obviously they take very little skill to drive. The manuals tend to have shorter gearing too which will accelerate faster and keep you more in the power band of the car. They are also lighter and create roughly 5-10% less parasitic drag on the drive train so more HP is getting to your wheels.

My advise to the OP:
1: Turn off TCS
2: Get better tires, the ECO tires are crap
3: You have to drive this car like you hate it to go fast, so you will want to be at a min 3000RPM to launch it, 3500 would be better, and accept your clutch will not last long
4: I got my best results using a heel/toe approach and holding all 3 pedals at the launch and getting the engine loaded up against the brakes. It is a tricky approach and I don't recommend it on the road
5: accept the tires are gonna spin a little but don't back off the gas so much you bog the motor down
6: also no point in revving much past 5000RPM, shift early in this car, it makes good torque down low for such a tiny engine

This was getting me 0-60's in about the 7.4 second range (car is tuned btw) and the quarter in about 15.6

·
Registered
35 Posts
4: I got my best results using a heel/toe approach and holding all 3 pedals at the launch and getting the engine loaded up against the brakes. It is a tricky approach and I don't recommend it on the road
I am probably posting the wrong thread but I noticed you said you were able to heel toe. I am intrigued by that because my eco pedals are to small to heel toe rev match downshift. Any tips on how to heel toe downshift?

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Never tried it except for launching. It is tight, I push right at the very top of the gas pedal so it would probably be awkward trying it multiple times, but just sliding your foot off the brake isn't too bad

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.