hi all....i have the 2013 korean model 1.6ls
and i get 19 mpg....granted its 95% city
and 5% hiway...and mostly air condition
but still i expected at least 28 mpg...
good thing i didn't get the 1.8..lol

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
I was getting the same with mine before breaking it in. Do expect those numbers to improve as more miles add on.

I don't know what the estimates of MPG are over there, if they are higher than ours. But do expect it to go up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am from trinidad in the caribbean....they package the korean model here with the new shaped fogs and grille
don't know how different it is to the american model
engine is an eco II....have had the car since 4th January and it has approx. 4k on the odometer
I DON'T SPEED...NO HILLS....i know it's no eco, but still....

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Also, roads are congested, low-speed, and there are frequent stops and starts. That's in addition to the air conditioner use. A/C use about doubles the amount of gas the car uses sitting idling. If most of your trips are 6-10 kilometers and the A/C is on the entire time, that explains a lot.

Is that 4k kilometers, or miles? I read that metric is the official measurement system, but imperial units are still used. Fuel economy should get into the low-mid 20's (miles per gallon) by 50006-6000 miles, or 10,000 kilometers. I frankly wouldn't expect much better given the environment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats 4,000 kms...don't drive much...probably about 10 kms to work and 10 kms back home
i suspected as much with traffic and a/c ...thanks for the info though...
i'll post up if mileage increases...p.s the weather is HOTTTT...a/c is a must
lucky though fuel is relatively cheap compared to elsewhere...cheers

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
thats 4,000 kms...don't drive much...probably about 10 kms to work and 10 kms back home
i suspected as much with traffic and a/c ...thanks for the info though...
i'll post up if mileage increases...p.s the weather is HOTTTT...a/c is a must
lucky though fuel is relatively cheap compared to elsewhere...cheers
Yeah trinidad is scorching, that's why here in Miami having AC is not an option.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
What year did AC become standard down there in florida man ..

The cruze still gets phenomenal MPG !

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
maybe when they start to offer the 1.4 turbo eco i'll trade up...til then...thanks again
They do offer ECO with a 1.4l Turbocharged motor. I own one Unless were you live there are not offered lol.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The 1.6L (non-turbo) engine is really too small for this car. Toyota improved the Prius' fuel economy by going to a larger engine and I think GM has the same issue with this engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you mean to say that if i had taken the 1.8 i it would have been more fuel efficient?
i took the 1.6 to be more fuel efficient...go figure

The 1.6L (non-turbo) engine is really too small for this car. Toyota improved the Prius' fuel economy by going to a larger engine and I think GM has the same issue with this engine.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
you mean to say that if i had taken the 1.8 i it would have been more fuel efficient?
Years ago Australia used to import the Ford Cortina from England with a 1.6 or 2l. Then Ford Australia put in a 3.3liter 6 and a 4.1 liter 6. The 1.6 was dropped within 6 months and the 6 cylinder cars gave better mpg highway and matched the 2l city. My dad had a 4.1 and got 9 km from every liter highway, we never measured city but it was still not expensive to run. This was in the early eighties, cars are a lot more efficient now, but there is a ideal size for performance and economy still. You just have to find what it is.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Very possibly. The problem with an engine that's too small for the weight of the car is that it has to work too hard, wasting fuel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was getting the same with mine before breaking it in. Do expect those numbers to improve as more miles add on.

I don't know what the estimates of MPG are over there, if they are higher than ours. But do expect it to go up
did go up marginally...nothing to write home about

1 - 16 of 16 Posts