Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
After checking the spark plug gaps - set them to 0.028"-0.030" and a couple of tanks of 91/93 octane let us know. The next step would be to replace the plugs with NGK BKR8EIX (iridium) or NGK BKR7E (vPower copper). Both improve low RPM performance. The copper plugs will only last 10,000 to 20,000 miles however.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Bones,

If you haven't gotten the ECU recall done, get it done. This recall appears to also assist in hot weather.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I have a 14 Eco 6 speed manual, engine runs well even in hot weather so long as I keep the engine running more than 1500 rpm, I live in Indiana so not very much hot weather here, I have only run 87 and it runs fine. Sounds like the older 1.4 doesn't run well on 87 in hot weather.
There was a programming change for the 2014s that make them run a lot better on low octane (87) gas and in hot weather.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Amazon.com. You can order them singly or in a four pack. The four pack was cheaper but the prices do change daily.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
sluggish as in it's almost to the point of stalling out. Has the occasional sputter, and has substantially less power than when it was 60F weather here.
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak that isn't large enough to set the P0171 code. Sitting at idle the only time I've had this type of problem was shortly before my car set the P0171 lean code.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Just a thought - reseat your oil dipstick.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The ECU reflash is only for the automatics. The manuals have a different ECU programming.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Bones, do what jblackburn suggested. I have run both of those plugs in my 2012 ECO MT in the Denver high altitude heat and there's a big difference. The OEM plugs are designed for longevity, not for drivability.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
If this thing had a bored out 350 under the hood, I wouldn't be so pissed about running 100 octane. but burnin high octane just to get dust thrown in my face by every for focus in town leaves a bad taste in my mouth
This is why GM's marketing division insisted that Chevy's engineers figure out how to make an engine designed for 91 octane (KRD code) safely run on 87 octane. However, I suspect your problem isn't related so much to octane as it is heat soak and spark plugs that don't dissipate heat very well. There's nothing you can do about the heat soak but you can go with a better spark plug.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Make sure they're gapped at 0.029" and put them in.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Bones, anytime you take the ignition rail off you need to verify the springs aren't stuck against the boots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.