Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was the first time where I saw the message "Fuel range low" instead of the miles remaining. I think I had about 44 miles remaining when that message came up.

I was able to get 10.5 gallons in the tank (it's a 12.6 gallon Eco tank) so if that's true it would mean that I'd actually have about 80 miles of range (two gallons * 40mpg) instead of the 44 it said.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I'm somewhat confused. I am under the understanding that the CRUZE 1.4 Turbo has a 15.9 Gallon tank with 12.6 gallons of useable fuel. Today I filled up at Safeway with 12.9 gallons at $2.67 a gallon with a 60 cents discount. The gage was not on empty and I have never seen the low fuel indicator lit. When does it turn on?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Cruze Tank Lesson 101 (or how GM's marketing division overrode engineering)

All Cruze worldwide hvae a 59 liter (15.6 gallon) tank. GM's marketing folks, in order to reduce the weight of the ECO MT to increase the city fuel economy of this one trim had a modification made to the gas pump's Fuel Level Float. This modification has been verified by a couple of different members here and is nothing more than an extended cowl on the main vent that triggers pressure push back in the fuel fill pipe three gallons early. This gives the ECO MT an official 12.6 gallon tank.

As for OP's question, the low fuel level is only dependent on the floor of the tank. The Fuel Level float can only go so low before it hits the floor of the tank. At this point there is no way to measure the actual remaining level of fuel in the tank. When this happens, the DIC switches from a range remaining estimate to "Low Fuel". Based on my empirical testing this occurs with somewhere around five liters (1 and a quarter gallons) left in the tank.

A similar issue occurs when you top off the tank. The float bumps up against the top of the tank and can no longer measure the distance to empty. When this happens what you will see is your distance to empty vary directly with your last 50 miles fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Today was the first time where I saw the message "Fuel range low" instead of the miles remaining. I think I had about 44 miles remaining when that message came up.

I was able to get 10.5 gallons in the tank (it's a 12.6 gallon Eco tank) so if that's true it would mean that I'd actually have about 80 miles of range (two gallons * 40mpg) instead of the 44 it said.
The problem is the range is based on the average for the tank, so if your driving style/route/traffic change drastically you could end up running out of gas. You say you had 2 gallons left for 80 miles, I say you should go by your city MPG or worse at that point just to be on the safe side(which probably makes that range much more accurate).

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Today I filled up at Safeway with 12.9 gallons at $2.67 a gallon with a 60 cents discount. The gauge was not on empty and I have never seen the low fuel indicator lit. When does it turn on?
My low fuel warning on my 2012 1LT 15.6 gallon tank goes off right at 13.1 gallons burned(leaving a 2.5 gallon reserve). This was verified on three separate occasions, one which it went off right when I shifted into park at the pump. The low fuel warning goes off below the bottom white line, before the E.

Besides the DIC low fuel message you will see the orange low fuel light come on by the fuel gauge also. If you continue driving another 20-30miles the range on the DIC will just read "low".

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Low Fuel triggers for me at exactly 60 miles to empty and Low Range triggers at 40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts