Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all im trying to do a white& matte black theame and i was wondering if anyone has replaced these parts of "crome" or knows how hard it would be to replace them. Im trying to figure out if itd just be easier to find a place that coukd paint these haha ive looked online and cant even find those peices in any type of black
Thanks,
Jayy

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Hey all im trying to do a white& matte black theame and i was wondering if anyone has replaced these parts of "crome" or knows how hard it would be to replace them. Im trying to figure out if itd just be easier to find a place that coukd paint these haha ive looked online and cant even find those peices in any type of black
Thanks,
Jayy

View attachment 172802 View attachment 172810

That Cruze is a 2015 and the aftermarket parts (if any are even out yet) likely wouldn't fit very well. The best course of action would be to either tape up the car and plasti-dip them or paint them, remove them and paint them, or as you mentioned, take it to a paint shop and have them do it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, using the phrase how difficult it is, when you ask how hard it is, tend to think about tempered steel or even something else.

Chrome is a very "hard" metallic element and as such is very difficult to get a paint to adhered to it, this ain't chrome, plastic that looks like chrome. And as such can be roughen up with sand paper and even plastic spray cans are available, so you can do this yourself.

But by doing so, may depreciate the value of your Cruze, or maybe with the correct buyer, increase the value, but the former is more likely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Cruze is a 2015 and the aftermarket parts (if any are even out yet) likely wouldn't fit very well. The best course of action would be to either tape up the car and plasti-dip them or paint them, remove them and paint them, or as you mentioned, take it to a paint shop and have them do it.
Thats what i was worried about it seems to be hard to find anything aftermarket for the 15 yet thanks for the info!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ha, using the phrase how difficult it is, when you ask how hard it is, tend to think about tempered steel or even something else.

Chrome is a very "hard" metallic element and as such is very difficult to get a paint to adhered to it, this ain't chrome, plastic that looks like chrome. And as such can be roughen up with sand paper and even plastic spray cans are available, so you can do this yourself.

But by doing so, may depreciate the value of your Cruze, or maybe with the correct buyer, increase the value, but the former is more likely.
Hard,difficult. Same difference Lol i trust myself with alot but painting isnt something ive been great at ever haha

Also im not to concerned about the value because i plan to keep it for a long time so i fugured since its my first NEW car might as well make it like i want it haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do go the route of taking them off just be careful, those clips are fragile. Same goes with the bumper cover, it isn't hard but you could get yourself in trouble if you get frustrated. Good luck!
My biggest thing is that i don't know what pops off and wjats suppose to stay together lol

Im pretty sure the stuff where the fog lights would be pops off but i dont know if the shiny olaround the grill pops off or is just a part of the grill also the strip on the back i dont know if thats glues on like the emblem or if it can come off.

It would be great if everything poped off cause then i could just take everything off and have it painted that way and still use my car(though it would look funny but o well) since its cold out and im not about to ride my motorcycle in this crap haha
Thanks for the input trevor!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shouldn't be too yard to get it all off, and painting isn't that bad either. If you don't have the skill set and/or someone to teach you, I'd recommend having a professional do them. Adhesion isn't really an issue, but I wouldn't use any rattle can products. The sun's UV rays will break it down quickly and they'll look like garbage. Use plasti dip to see if you like a matte black look before committing to paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shouldn't be too yard to get it all off, and painting isn't that bad either. If you don't have the skill set and/or someone to teach you, I'd recommend having a professional do them. Adhesion isn't really an issue, but I wouldn't use any rattle can products. The sun's UV rays will break it down quickly and they'll look like garbage. Use plasti dip to see if you like a matte black look before committing to paint.
I could paint them but i dont have access to anything that would be needed so i would definitely be having someone do it and the back peace isnt to hard though it holds the release for the trunk and im not sure about the grill peices. I may have to wait till its warm and i can leave my car for a week and still be able to get to work.

Nothing i plan on doing is going to go easily it seems haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your best bet is just taping those areas off and using plastidip. Not only is it cheap to purchase, but the product itself is very easy to use and is quiet forgiving once you get the first coat or two on. Depending on your location, I'm sure it'll last at least a year, and it'll be a snap to reapply if you do like the results. Whatever you end up doing, I hope you post some pics. I personally love the white paint with matte black accent.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I tried taping off the front grille chrome but it was just too tough for me but I was OCD about the results. I am thinking about leaving that chrome and using white plastidip + glossifier for my bowties and the back chrome trunk bar.

·
2,170 Posts
Haha! That does remind me of the strength of materials class I took. The professor loved to catch people using the word hard in place of the word difficult and make jokes about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts