Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What total says.
I have a 2011 Eco 1.4t 6mt
The only way I can actually change the headlights is when I'm parked with handbrake engaged. As soon as I begin to move or shift into gear or disengage the handbrake my lights turn on.

The lights can not be turned off while driving... I want to have only the turn signal marker lights on during the day.

Is there a fuse? Or a wiring diagram or anything that would allow me to do this??? I know that there is a way just I have no idea on what to do here... I don't want to have to unplug my headlights as it's unsafe to do that incase you forget them etc

Is there a way to make the switch work all the time or what? I also want to know how to do this for when I get angel eye projectors so than my drl will only me the angel eyes not the headlights plus turn signals etc.
I can't post this on the Facebook page but if someone could post this there (link) that would be awesome because I know not many people use this forum vs the fb page

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
You aren't able to do this in the Cruze. It's controlled by the car's computer. The DRLs are the same bulb used for night-time running lights. During the day, I believe the voltage is pulsated to create a dimmer look to allow them to act as DRLs. I took my car to the dealer to see if they could disable the DRLs through the car's computer and they said it wasn't possible.

Unlike other vehicles such as the Cobalt, there is no fuse for the DRLs unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think if you turn the dial, you can turn them off or switch to parking lights. But you'd have to do that each time you start the car.

Some have talked about removing a spring from the headlight switch so you can leave it in the "off" position and not have it spring back to "auto".

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
That's exactly what you do and I have been doing it daily for 4 years now.
Then you have a model that doesn't have forced DRL's. I'm in Canada and I can't do this with my Cruze.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm in Canada
Ah, that explains it.

The only other thing left is to use a relay. Power it off the parking light. When the parking lights are off, the headlight signal is re-routed to where you want it to go. (Like a add-on DRL.) When the parking light is on, it routes it to the headlights.

You'd need a 12V DPDT relay (the second pole is to keep the signal from routing back on whatever light you route the headlight signal to.)

Just make sure the relay has a diode across the coil to protect the BCM.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Ah, that explains it.

The only other thing left is to use a relay. Power it off the parking light. When the parking lights are off, the headlight signal is re-routed to where you want it to go. (Like a add-on DRL.) When the parking light is on, it routes it to the headlights.

You'd need a 12V DPDT relay (the second pole is to keep the signal from routing back on whatever light you route the headlight signal to.)

I'd like to put in some LED DRLs at some point (likely next summer now). This seems to be the most logical option. I'll save this post and refer back to it. I may PM you if I have any questions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stated that I can not use the dial when the car is moving/parking brake disengaged/in gear.
I am also from Canada.

How do people with retrofit or aftermarket head lights have they drl hooked up cause I've seen a **** load of pics with the aftermarket drl on and not the headlamp itself.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
How do people with retrofit or aftermarket head lights have they drl hooked up cause I've seen a **** load of pics with the aftermarket drl on and not the headlamp itself.
The US Cruze can turn off it's lights. And that's probably what they did for the pics. The DRLs are probably connected to the ignition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah, that explains it.

This is exactly what I want to do (I am a US resident). I don't know how to wire the relay like you mentioned. Could you give more detail, or let me know where I can get the info myself?

Thanks in advance! From what I've read of your other posts, you're a great source of info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts