Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the stock headlights with the foglights perform... Would I be better off being replaced with something else? I wonder because my 98 Lexus has the 2000-2001 ES headlights with the reflector style HID's and they are decent, but will the Cruzes headlights be alright? I know I have driven the Malibu LS with the plain headlights and they are absolutely terrible...

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
depends on what your really comparing it to, I don't mind the stock headlights at all. Mine were much better once I turned the drivers side one down so it was not shining oncoming traffic(I was getting flashed every other car).

The fogs are great for slow speed but since they shine about 6ft in front and 2 extra on the sides they really are of no help at hwy speeds. They work best in the city to light rainy streets or on 25-45mph roads.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
First time I drove my new Cruze at night, next morning went to my Fleet Farm store and paid around 12 bucks for a pair of Sylvania H13 Xtravision bulbs, claim to be 30% brighter.

Since I have been driving for 60 years now, have a very good eye for distance, left head lamp was way too low and the right headlamp was adjusted practically pointed to the ground. With a screwdriver, raised the left a tad, and using that for a reference adjusted the right for the beam to be about ten feet further. So far, no complaints from oncoming drivers.

And with that higher right side, can see deer on the side of the road.

Did think about taking this thing back to my dealers for headlamp aiming, but what the heck, only took me a couple of minutes to change the bulbs and aim them properly. But as far as I was concerned, the way they came from the factory was terrible.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The factory aim on my headlights is ok. I added the OEM fogs before I took delivery and they make a huge difference. I find the low beam/fog lamp combination better than the high beams.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I find the low beam/fog lamp combination better than the high beams.
Agreed - drive with my fogs and low beams all the time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just wondering if they light up the road well, or if there is a lot left to be desired. My Lexus with the reflector HID's put out a pretty narrow light path and doesn't really surround the road.... My cousin has a 2011 Cruze without foglights and he says the headlights are really dim and really really suck on rainy nights. I guess I will replace the stock bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar zXe which I heard are really nice and have a whiter light, they are "xenon" technology apparently... Sylvania® SilverStar® zXe H7SZ/2BP - Halogen Bulb | O'Reilly Auto Parts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The factory fogs really help with near field vision. I agree with your cousin about the main head lights leaving a lot to be desired in the ran and on wet roads.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars are around 44 bucks a pair at my Fleet Farm store, looked at them, life is far shorter than the Xtravisions. But well over three times the price. Maybe I am too frugal, LOL. Maybe I will try them someday, but do agree, the way the Cruze came, you also needed a candle. Fogs really add to the side lighting, also needed on this car.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Get the Sylvania XtraVisions over the SilverJunk. The XV is the SS without the blue coating and outrageous markup. For improving overall lighting performance, a headlight harness along with better bulbs is the way to go.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Get the Sylvania XtraVisions over the SilverJunk. The XV is the SS without the blue coating and outrageous markup. For improving overall lighting performance, a headlight harness along with better bulbs is the way to go.
At a higher price, the Philips Extreme Power is regarded as the best H13 bulb on the market at candlepowerforums.com.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts