Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm learning how to work on my first project car, 2015 Cruze 1.4. I've got my engine rebuilt at a machine shop and now I'm installing it. How do I prime a dry engine? Can I just disconnect the coil & injector fuse and then crank it?

Registered
Long ago friend had an Opel 1900 or something. Started & ran it with a dry oil pump, didn't know he had to prime it. Drove it a few miles with the oil light on & the engine seized. (Strong & handsome but not very smart.) What you need to do, I don't know. Maybe, pump oil into the pressure port until the pressure comes up?

The Nuclear Option
I'm learning how to work on my first project car, 2015 Cruze 1.4. I've got my engine rebuilt at a machine shop and now I'm installing it. How do I prime a dry engine? Can I just disconnect the coil & injector fuse and then crank it?
The 1.4L LUJ/LUV has an oil pump inspection plug. When you are ready to start the engine you can fill that with oil.

Also, fill the oil filter housing and obviously the oil pan. Depending on the turbo you are using, fill the oil feed line. If the machine shop properly used assembly lube, you should be good. The oil pump in this engine doesn't take much to produce oil pressure once it's primed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts