Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you with fog lights: How truly useful are they? Do they put out meaningful light to the sides/front, or are they appearance-only fogs?

I'm asking because the OEM headlights on the Cruze throw lots of light forward, but almost nothing to the sides. I'm wanting more light out to the sides for spotting critters and seeing around the many turns the roads I commute on have.

It's either getting the fogs/upgrading the headlamps or doing a HID projector retrofit. Both will be about the same cost-wise, since a relay harness for the stock headlights will run about $100, and the foglight kit is $200.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an LT with the RS package and I LOVE the fog lights. Not just because I think they look good on these cars, but they are very effective at night. A lot of light down close and to the sides. Very bright too even with the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
762 Posts
It's like turning on the hight beams, but down low. I use them on really dark roads, especially at our neighborhood entrance cause it's hard to see where it is.

One night I turned them on and someone thought I turned my high beams on. So they got behind me and turned on their high beams. Tards.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
The fog light install has been the best add-on I have put on my car so far. I would actually consider them "driving lights" as I use them in place of my headlights during dusk and dawn.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use mine all the time. They really do make a difference. Now that I put the yellow HIDs in the fogs, it really brightens up the road and makes things even clearer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fogs were one of my first 'must-have' mods that I am thankful I have. For me they complete what my headlights are lacking for night driving. Well worth the $$$ imho.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet, glad to hear they're genuinely useful instead of just for show! That makes my lighting choices a little easier.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I personally love the fog lights on the cruze. I had fogs on my old corolla 2007 and they were basically useless. You couldnt even tell if they were on. The cruze however is much better. When they're on you can really start to see reflectors and things far in front and even on the sides. I just wish there was a way to have them come on automatically when the headlights are on.

Also it would be sweet to go nuts and retrofit some projectors into the fog lights. Maybe a little overkill but sweet nonetheless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an LT with the RS package and I LOVE the fog lights. Not just because I think they look good on these cars, but they are very effective at night. A lot of light down close and to the sides. Very bright too even with the stock bulbs.

I too have the LT with the RS package and would also agree with everyone else that they do an efficient job at lighting up the road mere feet from the bumper and the sides. I usually have them on both day and night. Not only do they do a great job serving their primary purpose for the driver, but they also allow other oncoming drivers to better see you.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts

New Yellow Fogs...Sorry for the crappy pic!

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a good purchase. I'm looking at ordering some soon.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I have HID headlights and HID fogs, so much better than stock. Total cost for two HID kits and the GM fog kit was $260.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts