Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a whining manual transmission has been an issue some other people have experienced and have had troubles getting dealers to fix. Here's how I handled it. Hopefully this experience helps some other people having this issue.

I bought my Cruze Eco with a manual transmission certified used about a year ago.I bought it with about 45k miles and since I got it the car has had what appeared to be the whining bearing in the transmission that quite a few members here have experienced.

About six months ago I brought it to my local dealer and they gave me the “we can't hear it” excuse. I even took it on a test drive with their service manager, but the he claimed he couldn't hear it and didn't really believe my explanation that it seemed that it was coming from the transmission.

I waited six months and the noise was still present and possibly getting worse.

I prepared myself better for the next visit and I was able to get them to hear the noise. GM replaced my transmission under warranty and the car is driving great. It's so much quieter with the new transmission.

Here's how I armed myself for my second trip:
1-I put the car on jack stands in my garage and made a video showing the noise. I showed this video to the service advisor when I turned in my car.
2-I brought donuts. This maybe didn't help, but it didn't hurt.
3-I printed out a sheet telling the tech exactly how to reproduce the noise with the vehicle on the lift. Here's what I gave them:
How to reproduce the whining noise:
-Put the car on the lift.
-Turn off the traction control so you can drive it with all four wheels off the ground.
-Put it in 5th or 6th gear.
-Accelerate up to 55 mph or so.

Going slower or faster causes the pitch of the whine to change. It’s higher pitched at higher speeds.

Just revving the engine in neutral doesn’t cause the whine. It only happens when it’s in gear.

·
10,712 Posts
Yep, on a lift is how they did mine and about same miles. Mine did it for a long time so it was drowning out the radio at freeway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Glad your issue was taken care of, but it's pretty annoying to know that all the money we pay them to "check/diagnose" and we end up having to do it ourselves because they may not be incompetent, but they surely must not care to not notice something THAT obvious...

I've had the same (albeit different) issue (very obvious sound, describe to them that I know what the issue is and how to replicate it, they say they can't hear anything and that it's fine, oh also that'll be 100$)

·
Registered
254 Posts
What gear are you in to make the noise? I know mine makes a wine pretty good in second on decel, but members on here have said that's normal with this trans.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What gear are you in to make the noise? I know mine makes a wine pretty good in second on decel, but members on here have said that's normal with this trans.
Same here with mine in 2nd gear. Just waiting to take it in.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Same here with mine in 2nd gear. Just waiting to take it in.
Finally got it in today and they informed me that it's a bad bearing. Didn't think the tranny was
serviceable, but as long as it's being repaired under warranty I'm happy. They're going to need it for a few days
so I'll let the group knows how it going when I get it back.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Got the call today. Since it's a 6m, they don't service. Pulling the trans and going to replace it.

They also tried to get me to give them the ok to replace the clutch (80,000 miles) even though they said that it was fine but as long....

Needless to say I said no since he said about $700 just for the part and I don't think it was complete.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A non update, update.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After having the Cruze for 10 days the dealer is now telling me that they're having a hard time getting a new 6m trans for my 2012. He hopes to have an update by tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

With going back to work on Monday, I'm now asking for a loaner and should have my answer tomorrow.

Not a happy Klingon at this point.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
A non update, update.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After having the Cruze for 10 days the dealer is now telling me that they're having a hard time getting a new 6m trans for my 2012. He hopes to have an update by tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

With going back to work on Monday, I'm now asking for a loaner and should have my answer tomorrow.

I took mine in yesterday for a transmission whine and possible worn out clutch at 93K miles. We'll see if this tribble reacts as if my service department is staffed with Klingons.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I took mine in yesterday for a transmission whine and possible worn out clutch at 93K miles. We'll see if this tribble reacts as if my service department is staffed with Klingons.
Is yours whining in 2nd when slowing down?

·
Registered
821 Posts
A non update, update.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? I had one come in with a whine above 40 mph. Tech informed me the transmission is not serviceable. Parts ordered the transmission, and it arrived and was replaced the next day.

They should be providing a loaner as well, GM will pay for it under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Really? I had one come in with a whine above 40 mph. Tech informed me the transmission is not serviceable. Parts ordered the transmission, and it arrived and was replaced the next day.

They should be providing a loaner as well, GM will pay for it under the powertrain warranty.
Yes on the loaner, but since I was on vacation for 2 weeks I really didn't need one.

But going back to work on Monday, I will need a loaner. Maybe a nice Vette will do.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The tech told me today that a little whine is normal. This transmission was drop dead silent up to about a month ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
FWIW, good thing my 2nd gear went out at @70K I just got a new tranny under warranty and clutch($300-400 for parts) since everything was out and easy to replace.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
The tech told me today that a little whine is normal. This transmission was drop dead silent up to about a month ago.
I've had a whine in 2nd since new. Hasn't changed pitch whatsoever in 5 years. Sometimes there is one at 40 mph in 5th that goes away, but it hasn't changed either.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just an observation on the 2017 Impala loaner.

First, it does ride very nice
Second, that's where it ends.

1) The rear visibility is horrible as the back is so high that it cuts off the middle down of the cars behind you.
2) The bluetooth that I hooked up keeps on cutting off. Ended up deleting my phone from the system. (No problem with Cruze).
3) The side visibility is also horrible due to the headrests and side window post.
4) The drivers door is so light that I keep on getting door open after getting in and closing it. (The Cruze door is so much heavier).

I wouldn't by an Impala.

Not sure how much longer they're going to have my Cruze (so far 2.5 weeks), but I'm thinking about calling the dealer and asking if he has a loaner Cruze I can swap for the Impala.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Got the Cruze back today and boy, I did miss her after 3.5 weeks.

Trans replaced
New Cat converter as they broke some exhaust nuts when pulling the tranny out
I also had a oil leak - Camshaft position actuator solenoid valve replacement (replaced seals and belt).

Cruze is running great and the service rep was great.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Got the Cruze back today and boy, I did miss her after 3.5 weeks.

Trans replaced
New Cat converter as they broke some exhaust nuts when pulling the tranny out
I also had a oil leak - Camshaft position actuator solenoid valve replacement (replaced seals and belt).

Cruze is running great and the service rep was great.
That's awesome news! Glad they got you all fixed up, I was reading a post from you on another thread mentioning your warranty close to expiring so whew on that huh? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts