Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - if anyone knows details of how this is attached please reply. I have a rattle that seems to stop when I press up on the headliner near the driver windshield area.
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Headliner is attached by 3 push tabs in back. It also is held in by the drivers and passenger visors. The plastic where the seat belts are also holds up the center... When i took my headliner out to plastidip it, i noticed there are tons and tons of wires and crap up top.... you might have something up there that's loose. but in taking the headliner out you are going to have to break free some of the parts that are actually glued to the foam on the top side of your headliner. with that being said.... I have those parts that are loose now and those wires are not making any noise on mine.... so your case is peculiar... I would be curious to find out what the issue is....

BtW It took me about 2-4 hours for removal and install of the headliner... so if you attempt this project make sure you have some time to do it!

Oh and disable your battery before you attempt this and let it sit for 20-30 min because you are also going to need to take out your front pillars and back pillar plastics and when your working around airbags you can never be to safe!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Hi folks - if anyone knows details of how this is attached please reply. I have a rattle that seems to stop when I press up on the headliner near the driver windshield area.
Thanks
Wouldn't this be a warranty issue?

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,048 Posts
I bet it's the overhead console itself rattling, not the headliner. On my Cruze, that was caused by some of the plastic/metal retaining tabs cracking. Some superglue after taking the console down stopped that rattle.

IIRC there's a writeup on how to take down that overhead console. I'd recommend getting a set of body panel tools too so as not to break clips or whatnot. $10 at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Headliner is attached by 3 push tabs in back. It also is held in by the drivers and passenger visors. The plastic where the seat belts are also holds up the center... When i took my headliner out to plastidip it, i noticed there are tons and tons of wires and crap up top.... you might have something up there that's loose. but in taking the headliner out you are going to have to break free some of the parts that are actually glued to the foam on the top side of your headliner. with that being said.... I have those parts that are loose now and those wires are not making any noise on mine.... so your case is peculiar... I would be curious to find out what the issue is....

BtW It took me about 2-4 hours for removal and install of the headliner... so if you attempt this project make sure you have some time to do it!

Oh and disable your battery before you attempt this and let it sit for 20-30 min because you are also going to need to take out your front pillars and back pillar plastics and when your working around airbags you can never be to safe!

You put plastidip over the fabric part of the headliner? I'd love to see some pics... I've been thinking about taking mine out and using the fabric spray paint to dye mine black.

·
Contest Manager
2,239 Posts
You put plastidip over the fabric part of the headliner? I'd love to see some pics... I've been thinking about taking mine out and using the fabric spray paint to dye mine black.
I totally over looked that statement lol lets see pics haha

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a loose electronic chip (think it was the Onstar microphone) in the overhead light area and discovered it wasn't clipped in place correctly. You can pry down the cover on the overhead light housing to check it. I also had a sort of rustling sound above the headliner toward the top of the windshield. When I removed the light housing cover it made an opening that let me stuff some cloth up above the headliner and somehow that tightened things up and no more rustling. You might want to try this first since it's so easy. You don't have to lower the headliner at all.

If you do lower the headliner I'd love to see some pictures of what it looks like behind.

·
Contest Manager
2,239 Posts
Ok just finished the process.
Ill be making a thread DIY later on this evening. Here is a pic of the headliner off.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Windshield Luxury vehicle Auto part

Took 45 min to take off by myself while taking pics.
Reinstallation took 30 min.
Cheers :)

Btw all those square patches on the roof are CDL tiles I installed from this Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.